Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

I am also thinking of adding these to my lights, I haven’t looked on Digikey yet, as I have greater needs for other stuff atm.

Also looking for far red and IR as well as UV to add to mine. It will be a while before I do. Probably when I upgrade to an 8x4. I’ll have to add another 8 strips and a driver for the main lighting but it will leave room for the others. Right now in my 4x4 I’ve got strips 1/2 inch apart or less all the way across the tent

1 Like

know that what i think a grow light should be like the size of it

1 Like

hey @Malcolm, i remember you were looking for a info about light and led strips, hope this thread will help out!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great article for diy led lighting, lots of good information.
One thing I picked up on, reading through the thread, is the problem drilling accurate hole to secure the led strips. Once you have marked where you want to drill, take a punch or nail and with a hammer tap a indentation into the metal or wood. You don’t have to swing like Thor, just a tap. Your drill bit will have a place to start and not wander, accurate holes every time. My $0.02!

8 Likes

@Tejas is correct, hole position is critical (+/-0.015").
Your best bet (esp. for longer strips) is make an accurate template. Test the template before you trust it…

Cheers
G

3 Likes

yeah center punching is a must and handy, but even still i played a little too tight with my own tolerances with my build initially and just opted for a tiny bit bigger holes then needed which gave a little fudge room for not exact holes

3 Likes

also, if you miss a hole (by a mm or more), you can take smaller bit and then wobble it and kinda chisel it to the side you want to move, so you have same spread on at least 2 sides (hole should look like egg), so that drill bit you need can grab onto that new area and be centered, then you do couple of quick drills (bzz-bzz-bzz) with final drill bit (or a size between starting and last one), just to shape out starting circle…

1 Like

Rapid LED has them, I would suggest a puck or two per tent as they will do 2x2 per puck. I am adding Emerson and Exotic boards to my new DIY array inspired by this thread. This is the US site, they also have a Canadian site

3 Likes

Progress on my own array build. Currently it is 24 1120mm Bridgelux EB2s over 1.5x1.5x.125" aluminum channel, there is room for 2 x 4’ Emerson and Exotic boards from Rapid LED as well as room for more strips. Currently have 3 240 XLG M ABs set aside for the power and 3 100k Linear Pots for dimming.

Overall she is exactly 7’6"X4’ with the 2 panels against each other, had to put the water bottle in for scale :grin: None of which would have been possible without this post or @Mr.Sparkle :pray:

22 Likes

damn nice!! I bet thats quite the pain in the ass to hang up haha i struggle with my tiny lights

2 Likes

WOW!! that is huge :slight_smile:

thank you so much for a look at your work

Dequilo

2 Likes

As usual, You Sir, are not wrong :sweat_smile: Got this going on for them as a result!

8 Likes

smart move. The biggest worry I have with my lights is putting them down. cant put them led down else you’ll damage the boards, and flipping the frame is a pain and could cause dust to settle on the diodes. at least with my COBs they have reflectors and cones

1 Like

I have eye bolts in each corner of the frame that protrudes to the face side basically doesn’t allow the boards to lay in the dirt so to speak. With this rig it can easily be adjusted up and down or lay on the eye bolts legs. You might be able to see them if you look reeaaalll close at the pic above

5 Likes

Looks very good. How are you mounting the boards to the frame?

Cheers
G

3 Likes

96 x #8 White Button Head Screws
96 x #8 Washers
LOTS of Patience

Not these exact ones but very similar

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/paulin--10-x-1-2-inch-truss-head-square-drive-steel-metal-screws-zinc-plated-100pcs/1000139625

2 Likes

Ok great, thanks for the link. I could integrate them onto my existing frames. I also just found this last night:

It would be easy to add to my space as I have 2 frames i built with LED strips 2x4 each. So I could hang this between the two existing frames. Options!

5 Likes

Looks good but it is a bit pricey.

I could build a complete 150w veg light for the price. I am looking more for just the led strips myself.

3 Likes