Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Progress on my own array build. Currently it is 24 1120mm Bridgelux EB2s over 1.5x1.5x.125" aluminum channel, there is room for 2 x 4’ Emerson and Exotic boards from Rapid LED as well as room for more strips. Currently have 3 240 XLG M ABs set aside for the power and 3 100k Linear Pots for dimming.

Overall she is exactly 7’6"X4’ with the 2 panels against each other, had to put the water bottle in for scale :grin: None of which would have been possible without this post or @Mr.Sparkle :pray:

22 Likes

damn nice!! I bet thats quite the pain in the ass to hang up haha i struggle with my tiny lights

2 Likes

WOW!! that is huge :slight_smile:

thank you so much for a look at your work

Dequilo

2 Likes

As usual, You Sir, are not wrong :sweat_smile: Got this going on for them as a result!

8 Likes

smart move. The biggest worry I have with my lights is putting them down. cant put them led down else you’ll damage the boards, and flipping the frame is a pain and could cause dust to settle on the diodes. at least with my COBs they have reflectors and cones

1 Like

I have eye bolts in each corner of the frame that protrudes to the face side basically doesn’t allow the boards to lay in the dirt so to speak. With this rig it can easily be adjusted up and down or lay on the eye bolts legs. You might be able to see them if you look reeaaalll close at the pic above

5 Likes

Looks very good. How are you mounting the boards to the frame?

Cheers
G

3 Likes

96 x #8 White Button Head Screws
96 x #8 Washers
LOTS of Patience

Not these exact ones but very similar

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/paulin--10-x-1-2-inch-truss-head-square-drive-steel-metal-screws-zinc-plated-100pcs/1000139625

2 Likes

Ok great, thanks for the link. I could integrate them onto my existing frames. I also just found this last night:

It would be easy to add to my space as I have 2 frames i built with LED strips 2x4 each. So I could hang this between the two existing frames. Options!

5 Likes

Looks good but it is a bit pricey.

I could build a complete 150w veg light for the price. I am looking more for just the led strips myself.

3 Likes

I agree @shadey and I will keep looking myself too, I would love to build them completely.

I still think Rapid LED pucks would save some cash as well as some headaches due to the meanwell drivers built into the board, they are powered, cover 2x2 and only $50 CAD each. Looking doing this yourself first you would need to find a strip (which I haven’t in any reputable form aside from Rapid LED who sells individual COB as well -but only on their US site https://www.rapidled.com/solderless-cree-xp-e2-far-red-led/ ) then power it and mount it. After building the DIY array I would say that time is a factor that I did not accurately cost. Having something already in a strip form saved a lot of time, but wiring, splicing, testing and soldering is very time consuming. If one want to go that route you could do so with the COBs listed above, they would be easy to add to an existing setup and only $5 per COB.

I for one am still going with Rapid’s Emerson and Exotic boards from Rapid, this is the US site again

4 Likes

Thats a better price, and if there is no single strip alternative then that’s probably going to be the best option for me as well.

LMAO no its not, that’s $50 each US. I just went to their Canadian site, $350 no reviews, I wonder why lmao, talk about gouging that’s ridiculous or am I getting confused with which ones you are talking about. The dual emerson exotic booster.

No that was $50 CAD, all prices on the CA site www.raidledca.com are in CAD and shipped from BC

1 Like

Forgive me it is 55 CAD for said puck.

FAR RED

2 Likes

Ok I was confused which is normal for me lol. The dual emmerson board set, is $50 US without anything else and can be split up, on the CA web site you cant split it up and its $350 as far as I can tell. Its not an easy site to understand.

1 Like

Yup those are the ones. Although they may not fall under the “cheap” category you are right, the pricing change on the base cost is about $100 CAD https://rapidledca.com/dual-emerson-exotic-booster-board-set/ <— CAD site
comparably to the US site but considering the exchange rate, shipping and duty coming out of the states it would likely level out even with getting it shipped my US PO box nearer to the border and having a service forward it to my Canadian one. So for me its either buy a bunch of their various cree/cobs and assembling myself or just buying pucks/fixtures or bars and TBH I have saved enough going with Bridgelux Strips that I can justify the spend, others may not.

2 Likes

You are probably right, I am not sure what the exchange rate is atm, I need the money to start with, before I think about justifying it :wink: . If I had the cash I would be on them like a rash lol.

2 Likes

TBH you have me second-guessing going with and paying the premium when the pucks would cover the same area are essentially 3X cheaper. Running 4 pucks would cover the area I am looking to supplement but I would need to slightly rethink my layout of the frames… so off to the dab shack for a solid think but $200 vs $750 CAD for the same coverage…Maybe I should listen to my own advise :thinking:

3 Likes

I havent really seen any mass of info that far red initiators actually do anything, some say sure it triggers flowering faster or maybe night time plant shut down, but with very little to no discernable weight or quality difference at the end.

But please correct me if im wrong.

Just could be money spent or more light that inevitably would produce more bud

6 Likes

I am not 100% convinced as I did not have a completely controlled environment. But in short: I had 2 tents. One had a DWC setup the other had organic dirt. DWC had warm and cool white LEDs. The organic dirt tent had a cheapo Vipar spectra LED with Warm and Cool white LEDs as well as some blue, deep red and far red LEDs. Both tents pulling the same air from the same lung room. Same strain/clones in each tent. Both flipped to 12/12 at the same time. The DWC without the deep and far reds started to flower at 13 days and took about another 4 days after that before the pistils really started to show. The organic dirt tent which had deep and far red LEDs started to flower after 7 days and was showing noticeable pistils only 1 more day after that. This is not the best test as both tents were not 100% the same. However, the difference in time to start flower between the two was huge.

3 Likes