Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Mate at 12,5 mm wide and capable of 9k @ 1.5 A,. the gen 3. if you put four side by side on a 50mm C section of aluminium you can output 40K lumens. for $60 and maybe $10 for the aluminium… 3 of these is MORE that sufficient for a square meter of grow space. What I have been doing for other peeps is buying a cheap ass Chinese psu and swapping out the fan for a decent one. As far as I can tell, so much of the electronic components integrated use the same supply chains components that are so integrated now that the difference of components is often minimal…so I swap out the shitty fan, whack a thermal couple cut out relay on it as a last resort and in 2 years have had not so much as a hiccup on any $70 36V psu’s

Bang for buck $14.81 USD for about 9K L: or say 40 K L per 50mm channel equates to $240 of full canopy light…
$40 bucks for the step up converters, $45 for the cheap PSU, $10 for the decent fan… $335 for a grow light that will be at least as good as anything shit you can buy. This is the headpspace it would good to get OG peeps IMHO. Fuck money making commercial sharks…share the knowledge like the old days…

19 Likes

Cheers for the info I am definitely interested, just sold a 1000w HPS digital ballast and light I wasn’t using so the money will be going towards these.

2 Likes

How many watts is that PSU? I can get a MeanWell driver (top of the line) for close to $105…

6 Likes

While the gen 3s look promising, there is still appeal to the gen 2s. The price is still cheaper than the Gen3s (I have a rig planned that will produce 50k+ lumens for less than $280 with the gen2s) and coverage would be better as well, all without over driving the psu.

3 Likes

I’m really intrigued by the narrow ones. Gen3’s of those slims ought to be the shit.

3 Likes

Just to comment the Gen3 slims have been out for awhile, i have just yet to see the regular gen3 though, but spec wise they are essentially the same apart from length and heat dissipation capacity just being in a smaller but slightly longer package, price wise though yeah more expensive than gen 2’s but why i was recommending them over the gen 3 was just the best bang for the buck.

As for the gen 2’s being out of stock i kinda figured that would happen but someone definitely scooped up a lot but they may and should get replenished, as for current prices i figured either they are just the cost of an older gen or were a reflection of trying to off load stock while the gen 3’s were being rolled out, but we won’t know till later.

And yeah RIU has a thread on them that has been around awhile, and you can find other builds with them over on the ledgrow light forums

4 Likes

Slightly off topic but I’ve been thinking and sourcing out parts for a frame that wont break the budget.

Aluminum angle seems to be the go-to, but the price for 2 22"x22" frames would be $60+

@Shadey mentioned metal drywall corner beading and I think it might work, will have to stop in at the hardware store and assess things. Its $4CAD for an 8 foot length.

Anyone have any other ideas for things can we use as lightweight but sturdy frame material?

5 Likes

would possibly be rigid enough, good idea @Shadey , ill have to check that out next time im at home depot just to see.

Other cheap options are say small lumber options for frame builds, ive found 3/4" square cedar 4 foot lengths for under a $1

3 Likes

Drywall corner metal is pretty flimsy. It also has little mass - its thin and flexible, so dont count on it to work as a heat sink. That means you wont be able to push the led’s very far at all.

3 Likes

Check your local listing for metal recycling yards. There is one near me that sells used aluminum of all types by the pound - not the foot. You may need to dig through some piles looking for just the right parts, but the price is well worth it. Much of it looks brand new and is full length pieces.

I think its about $3/pound last time I was there.
These guys will even cut parts roughly to length for $0.50/cut

5 Likes

well i wasn’t thinking of any heatsink capabilities more just frame, and yeah i know its flimsy but say riveted or bonded together at the corners and or doubled up while being cheap again may be an option for some.

Again though i just used an old aluminum sign for a panel.

1 Like

@anon32470837 It just needs to be a square frame. These Bridgelux strips do not require a heatsink and the XLG drivers aren’t meant to be overdriven by much anyway. As @Mr.Sparkle said it can be done with lumber if one wanted.

And definitely been wanting to hit up the metal depots, thought about it a couple weeks back and might do so before going to the hardware store.

Have any old screened windows??? Extruded aluminum is pretty sturdy and cheap when recycled… while my Frankenlight is small, the framework is from old trailer window screens… 0 $$$$

Peace
DaFozz

p.s. and the hollow aluminum frame does dissipate heat pretty well…

3 Likes

I do have one and even thought about using it but it was pretty banged up and gross looking hehe

But it would be nice to have low cost options that don’t include going through scrap, for those that don’t have access to such resources.

Something widely available and inexpensive.

1 Like

Mine were covered in paint, etc… spent a couple hours hand-sanding, but when you are bored and stoned, hey…

I think I may have a bit of MacGuyver in me…

Or just too stoned…lol

I am gonna miss seeing your SIL reports and results when you defect…lol

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

Defect? More like expand! I’ll still have the closet with my 24"x24" SIL array and who knows there might be another grow space in the future. I’ve never been one to undergrow…

4 Likes

Just messing with you of course…lol

(I hope) You know I have respect for what I have learned from you…

Peace
DaFozz

p.s. expansion and learning is the name o’ the game…

1 Like

Bridgelux EB Gen 2 strips look to have been restocked!! False alarm peeps! But be warned this stuff does seem to reach EoL pretty quickly from my research.

5 Likes

1000w but it’s Chinese PSU and I normally replace the fan in these… just because that seems to be the part that fails!

If you can get them for that kinda cash then that’s the way to go. A good quality PSU is always preferable.
Ther are closer to $400 over here!

3 Likes

I have one 3 years old now and a fan is slowly dying in it. It’s the bearings, if I move it so it’s at an angle the fan starts making noises.

1 Like