Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Octopart is too powerful for us electronoholics. :laughing:

Back in the day lotsa this kinda chit…probably built 200 pcs.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

4 Likes

Ok, now that there is slicker than processed cheese!! and a new one on me!!
I really like that! :+1: :sunglasses:

Parts picker I used (a lot) when I built my last system - loved it!

Thanks & Cheers
G

3 Likes

Really temped to swoop a pack of these 4k 90cri.

https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/6115970?utm_source=octopart.com&utm_medium=cpcbuynow&utm_content=instock&utm_campaign=Octopart_Ext_Referals

2 Likes

i would if i needed them as at least for my viewing pleasure 4000k is nicer than 3500k

4 Likes

hey guys i have a quick question, just want to sanity check my thoughts.

I have 20 of these strips (eb2 560mm) and I have 2 of these drivers which are currently powering 10 cree CXB3590s. If I were to re-use these drivers for the EB2 strips, I should be able to run 10 on each driver?

Drivers output 1.4a with 179v and the strips can operate up to 1.4a (i think that’d be MAX for the strips so would use the dimmer to bring them down) and with 19.5fV / 179v I should be able to run 9 strips. Does this sound right? would I be able to run more strips or will it just not power on? I’d try wiring it to see but I dont fancy blowing the strips/burning down my shed

3 Likes

you can run 18 strips off one of those driversin runnign the strips at nominal settings, reason being is you can do a parallel series array, as in 2 parallel chains of 9 strips in series max.

if you went to ten strips the voltage draw on the driver would be too much and either one it would run it hard and cause it to over heat and fail, or two just not work all together, also your voltage draw increases as you increase the current that the strips see, so a 50% overdriven strip “could” be running in the 19.8-20v range.

so layout wise due to the voltage range of your driver you could run between 10-18 strips, but in a dual parallel series configuration so would be 10,12,14,16, or 18 strips.

4 Likes

anyone interested in building a setup. I’d rather oay someone on here $500 than a big corporation

3 Likes

Digi key is amazing for shipping. I ordered stuff yesterday at 3 pm on the Westcoast. My package started in North Dakota, hit Tennessee and then came to the Westcoast of Canada by 3 pm today.

3 Likes

1 more question for now… extension cords, do i need a 3 prong? Indoor vs out door? When i built my light I lucked put and found a heavy duty 3 prong outdoor cord for 12 bucks so it was a no brainer.

The one I’m looking at is an indoor, 2 prong 13 amp cord… the only part that gets me wondering is the lack of extra ground plug lol

1 Like

Yes, you want the ground. You can custom make some by either getting 3 core extension cable and cutting, or hell even romex. Then get replacement male and female connectors, solve for x.

Far as indoor outdoor; UV resistance mostly.

3 Likes

Thats kind of what I was figuring, wanted to be sure lol… safety first

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are the best COBs here? The Bridgelux series?

Has anyone considered custom PCBs? I was looking into the metal core ones for a IR module I was making, seems like you could make up a panel to avoid having to physically connect things, or to provide to those who don’t care to or lack the ability.

Sorry if I totally missed mention of it, long thread.

2 Likes

Legend, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Want to scale down my grows to my single big tent but want to replace my cobs with the strips I have, or maybe even buy another driver and combine them all into a mega light. (would be like 750w in total)

Will need to sketch up something to see if it makes sense, currently they are running 5 strips to a single driver from my old mars hydro light in series.

3 Likes

If anyone is interested I made a Sketchup model for the 560mm EB2 strip with what I could from the data spec https://drive.google.com/file/d/12aJKOl6fsaqY2IMtsG4PGYlX4bRnSQTa/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

This is how im gonna build the new light. simple and staggering the 2 series that are paralleled.

Cant wait to drill all those holes again :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

wire both sides of the lights just to even out electricity flow if you can.

3 Likes

Here’s a video of the kit being put together - anyone can put these together -

you can order a complete kit for $485 or get the QB kit and driver separate and save $100.
that’s paying back yourself a couple pack of seeds or getting that AC Infinity fan you’ll need anyways…

do you know what you want - what size of area to cover ?

I have built 4 lights this year using HLG QB266 Quantum boards.
they have Red spectrum [v2 Rspec] LED and I use them from seedling to finish.
This is a good light for under $400 -

This is a 320W DIY Kit I ordered recently :

• [HLG] xQB288-V2-Rspec-Triple-Combo - $ 296.00
  • [mouser] HLG-320H-C1750A - $78.00 shipped
4 Likes

boom! Now to build the frame and fit it all together. should be a fun project this weekend. Big thanks to @Mr.Sparkle for the help

9 Likes

let there be light!

6 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle is it actually worth wiring up both sides? I just finished doing 1 side and I reeeeally dont want to do the other side. These connectors are such a pita!

3 Likes