Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Gpaw I have a question for you. Today I lowered my light and half the light is acting like a strobe. The light is a diy and has two meanwell drivers each driving 11 Bridgelux strips. The driver is maybe 1 1/2 years old. I plan to check all wiring connections, but was curious if you have seen something like this. It is a like a flash instead of a strobe.

2 Likes

If full off and on, you may be at the threshold output for the driver and over time it’s just wore out a bit, turning down the current so it not at 100% rated output or more and say closer to 90-95% can fix the problem.

If the flashing is going between different brightness’s while remaining on the entire time then your dimmer is on it way out, couple dollar fix on that one and why I always suggested getting spares

4 Likes

How is it wired? All parallel? (Sounds like my DIY light) Are all 11 strips strobing the same?

Mr. Sparkle has it right but what bothers me is it was after a move… that suggests a flaky connection to me…

I would have a close look at the interconnects and make sure they are all secure.
Then I’d swap the outputs of the two LED drivers and see if the problem tracks the driver. If the strobe issue tracks the driver… you need a new driver.

Invariably at some point in the troubleshooting procedure I hear in my head the Sesame song “One of These Things is not Like the Other” :rofl: :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

All lights flash/strobe together and are running probably 10-15% power atm. I will recheck all connections and if that doesn’t fix, swap drivers.

Edit: It was a loose wire in my waterproof connector.

4 Likes

Hello everybody

I’m searching for good leds or DIY kits I can buy from Europe

If anyone know some good shops : thank you by advance

All the best everybody !

2 Likes

I ordered my electronic parts for my DIY light from Digikey. Check them on-line for local availability, it should be good.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Thank you very much

2 Likes

so I bought a 24 of these , BXEB-L0570A-50E3000-E-C3 Bridgelux | Optoelectronics | DigiKey

to be run by this driver, HLG-480H-24A MEAN WELL USA Inc. | Power Supplies - External/Internal (Off-Board) | DigiKey

the question I have is do I really need a heat sink on each one or can I do something like solstrips and use an aluminum pan with thermal tape attaching them?

Likely not, there the edge’s though so they are thinner so your likely gonna have to back them to something say an old construction sign or some flat aluminum panel wouldn’t hurt

5 Likes

I have tried to read through this post so I would not have to ask, but I am not sure of the right size driver for my diy. I am going to be using eight 4ft eb gen 2 bridgelux strips. From I could tell, maybe a 320watt one? Idk. Also from a post on here I bought 18 awg solid wire for it. Does this sound correct? Thank you for any help

2 Likes

Pretty sure that’s what I used as well. Been awhile. I’ll check in my old thread and see if I mentioned it.

1 Like

This might help, DIY LED Strip Build Designs for Samsung H-Series, F-Series, Q-Series, and Bridgelux EB Gen.2 - LED Gardener

5 Likes

It’s was helpful, thanks. The chart says I need a 480w driver, but even though I’m not an electrician, the wiring chart for the 8 4ft bars seems to be overkill to me. Idk, maybe I will just follow it anyway since I’m not sure what I’m doing

3 Likes

You’ll want these Wago 5 port connectors on Amazon, [

Wago 222-415 LEVER-NUTS 5 Conductor Compact Connectors 10 PK

](https://www.amazon.com/Wago-222-415-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B07CN5974J/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3A32ESZ0Q3UWN&keywords=wago+5+connector&qid=1687805918&sprefix=wago+5+connector%2Caps%2C269&sr=8-11)
Myself or a couple of other members can help with the wiring when you get to that point.

2 Likes

I appreciate the help @Tejas!

1 Like

No problemo! :grin:

1 Like

Be careful with those cheaper, lower voltage rated “WAGOs.” I had one of the 222-412 “WAGO” from Amazon short and almost cause a fire awhile back:

Check out this burned wire!

Luckily I was home and smelled something funky, and then unplugged it before it could do any damage. It wasn’t even hot in there either, so something bad happened…

Not sure if those are fakes from the gray market being sold as original WAGO products, but I’ve since switched to the higher tolerance square ones that are series 221-613 and 615, which are rated for higher voltage, amperage, and larger wire sizes.

Word to the wise!

:sun_with_face: :rainbow:
:zap:

15 Likes

Like these?
[

221-415 | WAGO Lever-Nuts® Splicing Connector | for Solid and Stranded Conductors | 5-Conductor with Operating levers | 24-12 AWG | Transparent housing | [Box of 25 Pieces]

](https://www.amazon.com/WAGO-221-415-Lever-Nuts-5-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B07WC2XBMK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3A32ESZ0Q3UWN&keywords=wago+5+connector&qid=1687805918&sprefix=wago+5+connector%2Caps%2C269&sr=8-2)

2 Likes

Yeah I think those are the higher rated ones!

2 Likes

I probably should get a count and replace mine which look like yours with the higher amperage units.

2 Likes