Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

i thought booster have current output limit - 6 A.
And yes input current can more then 10 A.
‘‘Little’’ mistake.
well… looking for normal driver.
Live and learn.

3 Likes

There is no way that converter is 97%… I suggest to take a look at youtube videos about those cheap converters, people did some measurements, i think its about 70-80%, in a long run its cheaper to buy proper driver like maxwell… I personally wouldnt believe anything chinese sellers say, it may be 97% efficient at loads of 3w, but thats not meaningfull to you…

2 Likes

6A limit often means “we’re not accountable if our product burns your house down because you went over.“ Nice companies include fuses and things to mitigate it. But yeah… generally don’t trust sellers from China, simply because there is no accountability. They just put it up under a new name if they ruin their reputation. Government doesn’t care they’re doing it.

Now that said… China is a great place to get cheap shit. Just don’t believe what they tell you, until you establish a relationship.

4 Likes

anybody know can i connect strips + cobs to one driver?
voltage similar.
cobs 24 - 36 V
strips 30 - 35 V

You should be able to connect in parallel. Just expect a few issues to troubleshoot.

1 Like

$60 all in for that? Really nice!

all the same, I still need to add the price of the driver.coz it not working scheme)))

1 Like

I wouldn’t mix and match. The driver may have issues adjusting the current and voltage with different fV. Drivers are cheap, buy two.

4 Likes

Technically if they operating at the exact same voltage you could but otherwise they will be potentially lighting on fire, or blowing up the chips, or just not having them run, and also you could technically could run dissimilar voltage components in series only so long as the amperage required by them is the same and you can supply that voltage.

But seriously don’t do it, like @ReikoX just get another driver or heck another couple dollar constant current boost converter and separate the two then they can be tuned independently of each other

3 Likes

I use mh for my autos outside thevtent and leds for others insidev the tent moving twoards leds all to gether thanks for thevinfo

Peace out and stay safe

Hey, I forget what you guys said if doing separate flower and veg areas… in a squat box, 4k veg, 2.7k/3k/3.5k flower?

1 Like

I’d need someone to back me up on it, but I think the general consensus at this point is just 3500K all around with these newer LEDs. Their spectrums are much more balanced, so you get the reds and the blues on all of them. You don’t really need different spectrums for veg and flower.

3 Likes

All in one color temp is fine if you have a single space for both veg and flower. If you have different spaces, I’d suggest you do separate color temps for each type of growth:

3000k 80cri or 3500k 80cri for veg - you don’t want too much blue because all white LEDs these days have plenty of blue, like you said. 12-18 watts of modern strip LEDs per square foot of canopy space with the ability to dim.

2700k 90cri or 3000k 90cri for flower - these CCTs have amber/red output and they generally have some far red, which makes a significant difference due to the Emerson Effect. 30-35 watts of modern LEDs per square foot of flower canopy space.

Run them as close to the canopy as you can if you’re using single row diode strips. Make sure to use only one CCT of strip per driver, and there’s no need to mix and match or supplement spectrum if you’re using Bridgelux EB3 strips. If you’re using Samsung strips, you may need to supplement deep red and far red.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I’m personally gonna go 4k 80cri for veg for my squat goals and look what I found not listed on octopart!:

https://www.allicdata.com/products/bxeb-l0560z-40e2000-c-b3/326963.html

Priced higher but they have it in stock unlike digikey.

1 Like

they say they have it in stock doesn’t mean they actually do and arent drop shipping from elsewhere as its odd how their stock level on all the strips is exactly a 1000 apart from the 5000k 560mm strips, also located in hongkong though have seen people elsewhere mention them as a place where they have bought components so if its what you want go for it, and a step towards actually building a light and space :wink: lol .

2 Likes

Clearly I’m not taking my time :rofl:

Some flavors in stock here, but 20packs.

https://www.futureelectronics.com/search/?text=BXEB-L0560Z-40

3 Likes

Yeah i saw that, I didn’t necessarily want to get a 20 pack but we’ll see.

1 Like

Excellent thread @Mr.Sparkle

I wonder what driver you would recommend for 3 or 4 BXEB-L0280Z-35E1000-C-B3 strips (280mm).

I’m going to order these asap and would like to get the driver at the same time.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Datasheet

Digi-Key Part Number 976-1736-ND
Manufacturer ## Bridgelux
Manufacturer Part Number BXEB-L0280Z-35E1000-C-B3
Description 1000 LM NEUTRAL WHITE LINEAR MOD
Manufacturer Standard Lead Time 6 Weeks
Detailed Description ### LED Lighting COBs, Engines, Modules LED Module EB Series™ Gen 2 White, Warm Linear Light Strip
4 Likes

XLG-50-a which is the same as I’m running for my third cab, better question though what size space are you trying to light up

1 Like