Defoliation vs No(little) defoliation

THAT plant he shows, could NOT be grown here like that. PM magnet, invites bugs, no airflow into it.
I’d pull a shit ton of leaf off that thing :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I did get sorta low temps( i aim for 75F) and high rh and did not got pm yet, i sterilized the soil with boiling water and scorching sun for weeks, i think it helped curb potential diseases maybe i lost some beneficial bacteria but they seem to be thriving.

I have seen PM many times and your numbers don’t hold water (see what I did, it’s a humidity joke.)

I do agree about strain selection and finding ones that are resistant/suitable to your environment.

Doesn’t seem like I’m getting through. Even if I had a lot of rot pressure I still wouldn’t defoliate.

However, I guess it’s better to have less production (due to the act of defoliation) than to have little to no crop at all due to bud rot, then again, a lot of errors are cause by the nut behind the wheel. :slightly_smiling_face:

If I had to guess you’re growing mutts which have fairly long internodes and not a thick foliar canopy. High air movement goes a long way toward reducing the threat.

UB

2 Likes

170F held for about 20 mins is all you need. Oven, or microwave. PITA, but it gets the job done. Solarization is fine as long as you get to that temp.

Watch me. Just finished up a similar plant with no issues, see my diary/journal. Lapis Mtn indica. Doing the root pruning thing again, this time with MicroKote - #75 by OldUncleBen

Easy peasy.

1 Like

I SAID HERE…100 plus F 96 % humidity

1 Like

Defoliation does not guarantee you won’t have fungi/rot issues people. That’s absurd.

It will guarantee you will have less production.

UB

They say potheads are hippies that are all about peace, but if you lure them into a discussion about defoliation they turn into hooligans.

5 Likes

Defoliation allows evaporation, avoids stagnant air, better aeration, no leaves having contact (there are droplets when you separate them), with all my respect you cannot speak about something you haven’t experienced, like growing under high humidity and low temperatures, like Jet and me, I have changed my way of growing after several losses, couldn’t grow the way you do … beer3|nullxnull

8 Likes

You have to be a bit more specific @George - where do you grow, live, and is it outdoors? Growing in indoors in one of those tents? Genetics?

Defoliation allows for the exit of moisture and good air exchange, so does a good fan and proper air exchange if you’re using a tent. If airflow is a problem then install an ass kicking fan. Recommend a Vornado, set on Low.

UB

If you have droplets on your leaves, you got problems!

Defoliate! Defoliate! Defoliate!

12 Likes

Still laughing hahahahaha

1 Like

I have defoliated heavily once and i noticed the leafs grew back. Since they grew back big enough to block the lower buds, it seemed counter productive to me. Plus too much of a hassle with the amount of plants i keep.

1 Like

I think your contempt for noobs should be relaxed. We were all noobs once.

7 Likes

At what point in the plant’s life cycle? That’s right, during veg, only. Same with topping during veg which promotes a branching profile.

You guys need to be more specific and not so ambiguous.

You enter the flowering response and that leaf production/replacement event shuts down, just like root production shuts down.

UB

I defoliated until week three 12/12.

I live in the north coast of Spain, cold and humid, I grow indoor in tents, outside the flower tent the humidity is even higher so no air intake, just exhaust …

I also have a big dehu and an oscillating tower fan. Droplets only in the veg tent, smaller, no fan and small dehu, plants tolerate a higher humidity in that stage …

Strains variety, as you can see here, wish I were in your place … :sweat_smile:Sun

3 Likes

That will do it.

Buena suerte,
Tio