Defoliation vs No(little) defoliation

It occur mostly on some hazes and purest sativas, personnal slang. Your plant is flowering until all the bud site are joined, then the plant freeze a bit during a variable lenght but don’t mature much (trichomes). Then you get the final rush that barely double the yield and really mature your trichomes.

Ben have quoted the Dalat, it’s a perfect example but there is a lot others. I’m remembering Brazilian strains doing that, some south india and even morocco lines of the highest points of the Riff.

5 Likes

Costa Rican genetics re latitude means chronological age initiates the flowering response vs something from say…the Kush region. If it doesn’t fit your plan, your style, move on to something that’s easy to grow.

UB

3 Likes

Wow that’s amazing literally just connected all the dots for me l. See that’s why I love cannabis cultivation and all the variations that happen that takes it a totally different direction.i have a lot in common with cannabis I don’t even know which way I’m going and any little thing can change my way. One thing leads to another and I enjoy the variations in phenotypes when growing in certain environments I will grow one in around 8 hours of direct sunlight on the afternoon then next year I will move it to full direct sunlight and totally different from one another. Love it.

1 Like

The first time I grew this I actually found a picture of the plant I was talking about.the one on left is the one.

I grow for my mother, old skool hippie

The one-way behind her head is critical cheese and it was a yielder

11 Likes

Is that why these plants have massive bottom buds and branches? Pic above :point_up_2:

Have no clue. Just the genetics I suppose. Speaking of weird genetics - Doing the root pruning thing again, this time with MicroKote - #91 by OldUncleBen

Love your mom. Is she still kickin’? I come from the hippie era too - 60’s. Don’t follow that lifestyle at all now.

UB

1 Like

Oh yeah still kickin even after lung cancer twice the second time they had to take a third of her lung and told her she had 6 months and it’s been since 2000 so yeah still kickin I’d say.

5 Likes

I read this thread for a hour. It was hilarious and edutainment to the maximum level. People are so funny

2 Likes

When I LST, I tuck fan leaves behind the nodes whenever possible. Otherwise, I snip them off only after the plant has grown fairly large, and can handle it. Of course, any leaf that is yellowing is cut off.
I’ve managed to avoid killing any plants by defoliation, but it can happen. This works on a lot of species other than cannabis. I’ve done it quite a bit with basil.

1 Like

I don’t have a choice but to defoliate throughout flower. Otherwise plants get so bushy the humidity rises too high and the lowers get no light at all. I leave the top fan leaves but I’m clipping a few leaves at every watering basically until the end. I think massively defoliating all at once could be too stressful but I haven’t tested that yet.

2 Likes

Scary true story a few years back about horse poo- A Jack Russell Terrier {small dog, maybe 10 kilos/22lbs} ate some fresh horse poo, as dogs tend to do.

Except this horse had recently been wormed with a broad spectrum wormer.{Possibly Ivermectin}

The poor dog was having fits despite veterinary attention and didn’t make it.

Horse poo isn’t the harmless thing it used to be, with all these potent modern wormers…at least not to dogs.

Might not affect a plant, though?

2 Likes

To de leaf or not totally depends on the cultivar. From what I see de leafing definitely increases yields. There’s no doubt about it. Yield directly correlates to surface area. When you trim the leaves it allows light to penetrate deep into the canopy which increases your surface area. I’ve seen plants with big fat buds 3’ down into the canopy. There’s a reason why most of the commercial facilities strip their leaves. However I’m not so sure it helps with quality. Which is my #1 goal. It can also cause plants to herm. I’ve tried all the ways. It kind of depends on how full my grow space is. One thing is for sure, you don’t want to trim any leaf that is catching light, you don’t want light getting past the leaves and hitting the floor. That’s a waste of energy.

3 Likes

Lol. Uh oh.

4 Likes

It’ll be fine. I’m sure that plant will be filled back in, in a week. I guess that’s one thing to think about too. When you grow the same plant over and over, you probably would learn just how much to take off so when it fills back in and turns to just producing flower you have the right canopy.

1 Like

It most definitely won’t; it’s a Oaxacan landrace, that’s just how it grows… wasting all my energy.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not to talk about the loooooong flowering stage :sweat_smile:, mine took 19 weeks to harvest … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

That’s about what I’m anticipating brother!
To keep this in topic, I will say that I’m doing a full run without defoliation.
Little concern for bud rot out here, due to the arid desert climate.
Should be interesting.
Day 2 since flip

10 Likes

it is worth it to defoliate in veg?

i have these crazy plants with huge leaves. not hand size, bigger. plants are not even 5 weeks old yet.

Usually i just tuck the big ones and defoliate at flower start, then just after stretch. Or, during veg when the plant is growing too densely as a form of training. I’ve had some super dense growth that looked like it would just mold.

this would be to allow the lower parts of the plant to develop more. these giant fans are smothering the plant and i need bushes, not trees.

For now, i just tucked the big leaves, but they are going to be a problem causing too much humidity and less light to bud sites. and, they are going to get bigger.

4 Likes

I defoliate during veg and flower.
Just depends on the plants.

I have some GG#4 that are a bit out of control :flushed: but they looking good. Just need to thin some I think :thinking:

12 Likes

I defoliate twice in Veg and once or twice in flower, imo it’s totally worth it for many reasons. Airflow, giving ample light to all sights/parts of the plant. Makes it easier to see issues. Shows you how it will respond, opens new areas for plants to reach for. There’s more as well but I just did a big ass dab! :man_facepalming:t2:

15 Likes