Designing and building the complete grow wall, chase the boredom away

It turns out you CANT get GPUs these days, supply issues.
Something gotta be done about it, got money to burn.
Turns out stackable wall mount hydro pots exist, thats got the noggen joggen, something to make copious amounts of strawberries next summer.

s-l500
s-l5002

Combining that with lm301b strips and one of the few available profiles that will fit 18-19mm width.

Total grow area will be 135cm x 100cm. Still haven’t figured out if 100W is enough or if much more is needed.
I would like to go with 100W but worried its not enough, 150W is what I made in the render, 6x24W. Calculated 11ft2, whats the usual number ~30W/ft2? Does this really need ~300W?
For sexiness of the design 3 lengths of LED is just fine but will it do its job?
Maybe add another 50W length in the middle, just angle them out from center, that would allow for access to plants and 200W total.

From what Ive read 35K-lux / ~450umol is good for strawberries, just a little under ganj. I don’t know how that relates to these strips at this distance.
Input welcome.

Here is a proportionally correct sketch.

The bottom part will contain 50-150l res, pump, air pump, LED transformer, heater etc.

With the LED frame in place it will be possible to cover the whole thing with net or garden cloth, keep pests out. The heater in the res will allow for very frosty conditions outside. Too much sun, just roll the whole thing into the shade, winter time, roll it inside and turn the lights on, that’s the dream anyways.

No doubt a SoG of you favourite flower would do just as well.

Parts are slowly trickling in, aiming at stuffing it full of goodies and pushing it outside come summer.

Take a seat or pitch in, the journey begins.

22 Likes

I’m all eyes :eyes:!!

5 Likes

Very cool idea, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

3 Likes

@Swe-can , @Tejas

Welcome, do have a seat, settle in for the long haul.

Strawberry seed germination and a quick LED strip build for the seedling tray, (2-3 weeks).
Main LED build will start in 3-4w and then wait for final install.
Pots are on their way (~2-3months).
Woodworking will start when the snow melts, 2-3 months.
Estimated completion, april-may.

3 Likes

Great design. Have you built a similar solution before?

1 Like

Thanks, have built a few stealth cabs and grows in my day.
Saw a few interesting containers on Ebay, started adapting. This is the best Ive come up with so far, the rest will work itself out as the parts arrive.

1 Like

Where did you find those pots? Would be better than the hanging multiple pouch felt planter the wife got for herbs

2 Likes

Searching for “stackable wall planter” on ebay or any Ali site will bring them up.
Good design for minimal maintenance, pump nutes into the top, flows down and each pot has its own mini water storage.
I just hope they are the ok grade of chinesium if and when they arrive.
Here is one seller.

2 Likes

That was a cool build, you think outside of the box :+1:

This should be great fun! Lead on.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

My kids would love this, I’m in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome :slight_smile:
Started because I needed something to do, after considering this further, strawberries alone might give ROI pretty quickly, 30€ per 5kg. A single plant can give up to 2kg over a season, chip away at the ~1000€ spent, ~400€ for 200W LEDs/tranformer/sexy profiles, 250€ for the pots, ~300€ on misc hoses, pumps, perlite, seeds, wood, paint etc.

Could get away with just buying the pots and screwing them into some old planks, naaah no limits, lets rock this bad boy :smile:

3 Likes

Hmm… I have a small lot, but the back of the house gets so much sun after 10-11am. It never occurred to me I could grow vertically outside- shitty soil anyways. Had a strawberry plant that did well on the deck, but the dog was eating them constantly.

I have some reading to do, thanks!

4 Likes

This looks awesome! Strawberries would work in those as you designed, but thing with bulk/height to it may need to be spaced out more. But imagine a wall of peppers… that would be fun and pretty with so many color varieties and shapes in hot peppers.

2 Likes

Thanks man, will be interesting to see how this goes, for sure they will be crowded.
Will let them go as is, see what happens before thinning them out.

Colorful pepper wall.
Hopefully well see that this summer, the wall just pooping out colorful bounty.

Just picked up paint, lockable 125mm wheels, 65l res, perfect size.
Now wheres that time warp, make the chinesium pots appear.

2 Likes

Here we go.

Strawberry seeds I ordered are taking too long, bought some from the supermarket, standard Fragraria x Ananassa. Strawberries need a good long while to sprout and grow to meaningful size, anyone considering it better soak their seeds soonish.

Some distilled water and half a cap of 3% peroxide, 12h soak then covered dark for a few weeks.

First build will be a light for the seedlings, 2 x 12W at 5000K.
Found a bread pan that was the exact lenght of the LED strips, couldn’t resist.
Non-stick coating might be an issue :grin:.

3 Likes

How big of a foot print will that have

1 Like

Man now I really want some orchids.

1 Like

That germination/seedling box is about 50cm x 25cm, 24W should be enough.

:genie::hibiscus::hear_no_evil::dragon: ha, oh look and a unicorn :unicorn:; that’s gotta be 10 characters.

Edit: the first one is supposed to be a genie.

1 Like

Not sure what Genie-Flower-no hearing-Dragon spells out, I need what your toking :smiley: