DIY LED 150w SolStrip X1 Build

Great thread. This will be an awesome place to start for small closet/tent growers and new growers into having very decent gear they can build themselves and see how easy it can be.

3 Likes

Just a thought I’ve had today. I think it’s steves led that has the 7-up and 14-up boards that you can have a custom blend of diodes. Get a couple red/blue mix strips to blend with the SOLstripes. I have had time to do the work on paper yet

I’ve got a very limited number of SolStrips in a red/blue format that are compatible with SolStrip systems (24v, 1400mA operating current). All top-bin Cree XPE diodes, 40 665nm red and 4 450nm royal blue chips, rendering a roughly 7:1 red/blue ratio due to the royal blues 50% higher output (3w vs. 2w). Haven’t got them on the website yet due to their limited quantity, but if anyone is interested ping me.

Looking forward to Roux’s project, he’s definitely done his homework.

4 Likes

That’s awesome. I’m going to order some strips and heatsinks from you to build a 240w for my growlab80. I was gonna run 5@2A but now I think I’m gonna get two red/blue strips and run them all at 1400.

3 Likes

You made a great decision, you will be happy with the performance, price, and customer service from @Baudelaire.

2 Likes

This is what they look like @DavesNotHere

2 Likes

are you working on anything with white red and blue on one strip?

There’s several things in the works but the idea behind SolStrips is not to create one strip that tries to do everything for everyone, but rather to create building blocks for growers to create their own custom spectrums. I call it “Legos for lights”. That’s why all SolStrip X1 strips are interchangeable and compatible with each other.

But its important to remember that, other than the Cree strip, all SolStrips are broadband strips that emit a wide range of spectrum, not just a narrow band as with mono diodes. The basic 3500K SolStrip delivers a rich spectrum of blue, amber, red and deep red wavelengths that is completely sufficient to grow outstanding cannabis.

The Cree strips are up at Solstrip.com, but two are already gone, just five left til mid- to late January.

2 Likes

So are most the strips you make full spectrum?

Yes. Check this

3 Likes

Just got everything completed. I’m excite to put this into practice and start testing.

19 Likes

These look so much easier than cobs to setup and comes out looking heaps neater/cleaner too.

Nice job.

3 Likes

pcbs provide better coverage/penetration too due to so many separate light sources

2 Likes

yep that’s why i like the COBs and now even more so these type of PCB strips because they are a little more efficient and can be separated with much more even coverage

3 Likes

I don’t really like the term “full spectrum”, it seems imprecise as it is generally used to refer to COB-style “blurple” emitters which purport to mimic the McCree curve’s wavelength intensities.

SolStrips are “white” diode strips, available in a range of color temperatures (CCT). These spectrums will grow beautiful, healthy, fat sugery buds alone, but I also offer a mono-led strip with royal blue and deep red diodes for those looking to augment the far blue and red spectrums in their spaces. (Almost sold out on these, btw. More coming in Jan.)

-b420

1 Like

I mean like the sun no blurple for this guy sounds good ill be ordering when i can for sure

1 Like

@Roux nice looking wire job, I liked it so much I tried to copy it on mine. Mine is not quite as neat, I’ll try to post a pic later.

4 Likes

Thanks, glad it helped. Hope your build is going well for you. Looking forward to seeing it wired up. If you got questions just lemme know :smile:

1 Like

It is now all done and ready for install in the tent. Finished up installing the quick connects from the driver to the LED light bar.

10 Likes

Sweet little rig.

Now let’s watch and see what it can do.

With the appropriate eye wear, of course. :sunglasses:

99%

3 Likes