Doug Dawson's giveaway thread (Part 1)

Ummm yea, that would be me………

2 Likes

FYI

Editing wiki showed spot 55 open, I filled it.
The list placed me in #52

1 Like

That’s because after number 34 the numbering is messed up……
Now someone fixed it!

1 Like

This occurs whenever someone adds a space between the last numbered entry and the concluding line when there was not one in the previous commit. The insertion/deletion record reflected by the green/red text always appears this way when adding that one single blank line…I have assumed it is due to the way the numbering system works…aligning the numbers and what not

2 Likes

All I can really say is it’s disappointing to see. Even if you are new for example. When you sign up and save only to find the list doubled it would be only right to say something so it can be fixed. So many times folks do the wrong thing, turn there back and walk away whistling like nothing happened. I know everyone looks when done editing to make sure their name is there so there is no way they would miss all off a sudden seeing a double list, half the names missing or the alignment being out of whack. That’s just not cool. Honest mistakes happen but one needs to raise their hand if they don’t know how to fix their mistake on their own. Otherwise it’s the other users paying the price :frowning:

15 Likes

Indeed it is disheartening when there are mistakes made! This wiki only has two overwrites. Viewing the edit prior to this last pictured edit, and comparing to the edit directly following this pictured edit, the only difference is the addition of a blank line. There has been no duplication that I see in this wiki’s history… a couple line additions and a few additions/removals of the spaces in front of the last line but this has been a pretty clean process this time

4 Likes

would numbering the wiki first before opening help with that hiccup?

2 Likes

only if nobody added nor removed any other lines and it would not be the cleanest appearing post… plus consolidating the spaces when people get edgy about being removed from “their favorite number” is another can of worms

3 Likes

1 Like

I realize but if the spaces cause the double list then so be it. It happened multiple times and nobody stood up and said “hey, I think I messed this up”. That’s the part that really bothers me. This was done on a Co-op and it totally screwed things up. Folks were signing up on each list so they were not the same and folks just kept rolling forward. I started these wiki giveaways to help people become accustomed to editing them and leave them up 24 hours at a time. No reason for folks to be in a rush and overwrite others. I guess I just had a long day and am getting tired of wasting so much of my time going through other peoples edits to fix mistakes they made. You can waste an entire day doing it like I had to with my Blue Kush signup. Just wish people would get their poop in a group so to speak and get the hang of this super simple wiki system. Ok, rant over…

10 Likes

Not really. I mean how many numbers would we start with? It’s a random number generator used to decide these and I am guessing folks would leave spaces all over the board. There is a simple fix. Read the wiki etiquette page, don’t be in a rush and if you do make an error you are unsure of say something so it can be fixed. It can’t get any simpler then that :thinking:

4 Likes

I guess i’m in the bronze age. Cheap, tarnishes but strong. Lol.

2 Likes

In your next wiki let it be known if you make the mistake and let no one know then exclude them from that giveaway.
It should be an example to others to take the time to do things correct……… can be done privately in DM instead of embarrassing them but still let it be known that the action was taken.

2 Likes

I confess i’ve done this, to make more space for the next person who signs up. I never saw the wiki being duplicated or i would’ve said something.
But now i know not to do so.

*Correction: i realized i was accidentally making the LINES in between numbers DOUBLE-SPACED. Not doubling the wiki itself.

4 Likes

I don’t know the answers to those questions, sir, was just trying to help. :sunglasses: :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I may have to. We did this on 2 Co-op runs already and it didn’t seem to make any difference. It’s just a shame really.

I appreciate it man, all opinions are welcome in my threads. I was just making a couple counter points to your suggestion is all.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m #35 which means I’m the one that messed it up. I thought I was just putting the cursor at the start of the next line for the next entrant. I thought I was being helpful, my apologies.

3 Likes

Is it possible the call list brings in a flood of people all trying to enter at the same time? Where if it’s not announced to 50 at once, you might get a more “ relaxed” response?

I’m a total noob here so I may not know what I’m talking about, just thought I’d give my two cents. :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Could you Post a Fix, for “out of Register” Wiki #’s?

Or does that get into the Too Many Fingers in the Soup zone?

1 Like

I leave these up for 24 hours at a time, there is no need for folks to rush. Besides, I put up my Blue Kush signup without saying a word to a soul. It was being edited in less then 2 minutes and the flood gates opened right up. When someone adds to a thread it jumps to the top making folks take notice.

Out of register ?

1 Like