Ceiba OZ and KZ x ODB x RL from Hoku Seed Co

EDIT: Decided to change the log to grow/strain specific instead of a chronicle of many grows.

After growing out quite a few THC dominant strains over the years, with enough flower stashed away to last for way longer than necessary, I decided to mix it up a bit with my grow and focus on something different. After looking around on OG and seeing suggestions to check out Hoku Seed Co. for CBD dominant genetics I took the plunge and acquired quite a variety to play around with.

For growing, I have a 4x4 raised bed full of worm powered organic soil, top dressing dried amendments, malted barley, and watering with some seaweed/fish hydrolysate on occasion. Using one Spider Farmer SF-4000 and one SF-2000 as lighting. During veg, I use a similar soil mix and typically keep the plants in pots until they are sexed before planting them out into the raised bed.

For this grow I have two strains from Hoku Seed Co., Ceiba OZ (which I am most excited about) and KZ x ODB x RL (a type 2 strain that I will refer to as the KZ Racer going forward), both are feminized seeds although I typically gravitate towards regular seeds which is what I have most of. It’s going to be a bit of a photo dump now as they are just finishing their 6th week of flower.

Roughly 3.5 weeks from sprout, front row and the top left plant are Ceiba OZ while the top middle and right are the KZ Racer. I kept two KZR’s for indoors and put the other 3 outdoors (not pictured) with only 3 weeks of veg just to see how they would do.

4.5 weeks from sprout, Ceiba OZ in the middle and right row (front to back), KZ Racer in the left row.

End of week 1 flower

End of week 2 flower

End of week 3 flower after defoliation

End of week 4 flower

End of week 5 flower

End of week 6 flower

This Ceiba OZ was the biggest from the beginning but hasn’t gotten as tall as the others, this branch has 3 nodes instead of 2 and another of its branches topped itself creating an additional cola.

Now we are up to date on the grow. Really excited for the Ceiba OZ (which make up all of this weeks flower pics, aside from the “full tent” shot), they are packing on the resin and smells range from sweet cake to sweet berries and some skunk. They are much further along than the KZ Racer’s which seem like they will finish a couple weeks later.

The KZ Racer haven’t been the focus of this weeks flower shots, the one in the back left corner is partially buried and doesn’t have the height as the others, it is also very leafy and seems to be leaning towards the Russian Landrace part of its genetics. The KZR in the front left is looking nice with smells of citronella/eucalyptus with some generic sweetness just starting in. Will get better pics of the KZR’s next week.

19 Likes

Very cool! @ElGalloBlanco. A huge fan of cbd in various concentrations and ratios. Those plants look deadly. Excited to follow along and sending positive vibes.

5 Likes

Beautiful garden bud! Excited to tag along with ya! I’ve been curious about CBD strains for some time. Best of luck!

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I normally look CBD plants in a different way hum|nullxnull, like beer without alcohol. I must say yours look beautiful :kissing_heart:, I always prefer big fat leaves rather than the skinny sativas ones, great job done … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

I wrote something here about mixed ratio cannabinoids if you’re interested.

Beautiful plants and great setup, you topped them all once?

3 Likes

Beautiful Garden/Work @ElGalloBlanco !

Love the art work :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Appreciate it! I am actually very happy with them and am quite surprised with the frost and aromas coming off them. Haven’t been this excited for a harvest in a bit.

Thanks Crunch, always good to see you around! Will keep you posted and maybe you will mix some CBD dominant or even 1:1 (THC:CBD) ratio plants into your grow space at some point. I could hook you up with some seeds too if you are interested enough, also plan to do some pollen chucking in the future to really mix it all up!

Haha! Thanks for that, but I definitely understand your viewpoint as far as that goes. I was searching for something that still gave me physical and mental relaxation without the psychoactive effects which would be a more versatile medicine for me, or at least just another tool in the toolbox.

One thing I was worried about was still getting the same great terpenes for aroma and flavor that is found in most THC dominant strains, but these things are showing me thus far that they can get quite resinous and terpy which has me excited.

5 Likes

Thanks for linking your write up, I’ll definitely give it a read and report back! And yeah, for this space (4x4 raised bed) I have found if I top them once above their 2nd node (really it’s above the 3rd actual node as I get rid of the first node fairly early on in their growth) once they are 5-6 nodes high, that will usually give me 4 main colas from each plant.

I can usually put them into flower by the middle to end of the 5th week from sprout which fills in the space enough without too much larf. Granted I usually remove the lowest 4-5 growth tips from each main branch as they typically won’t reach the canopy to get enough light.\

Thanks man! Always appreciate seeing your plants and SIPS in CrunchBerries thread, may have to give those SIPS a try eventually :+1:
And yeah, can’t take much credit for the artwork as it was already in this space when we bought the property. But yeah, it was basically the blue light room with the main piece of artwork along with a lot of painting on the walls, definitely a surprise but we just went with it for now.

4 Likes

I just might put a few HOKU offerings in next month’s Giveaway. They do EXCELLENT work, not to be dismissed!! You have done an AMAZING job, second to NONE. Continued success, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you and appreciate your suggestion of Hoku as well to begin with, really excited about the genetics they have to offer and intend on showing what this plant can offer!

2 Likes

End of Week 7 of flower, looking like the Ceiba OZ will be ready to harvest within a couple weeks.

Kushy skunk and a little gas from this purple pheno.

Sweet cake with a little gas or sour/burning sensation from the chunky green pheno.

Back right corner of raised bed plant, only has 3 main colas.

KZ x ODB x RL is the way Hoku lists these but it sounds like he originally pollinated his Old Dirty Bastard (Charlotte’s Web x Ron Jeremy) female with a CBD dominant Russian landrace, from there he chose a female from that generation and pollinated it with feminized pollen from a Karmatonic Z.

KZ Racer #1 looking a few weeks behind the Ceiba OZ’s

KZ Racer #2 (The Cousin It plant), looking like I will be using this one for salves and topical applications :rofl:

6 Likes

I am putting this on watch!

1 Like

Same here gotta see it

1 Like

These photos were taken just a few days before the Ceiba OZ’s were harvested, chopped just a couple days past their 8th week of flower. Could have let them go a few days longer but they seemed pretty done to me, all the trichomes were cloudy, plenty of frost, no white pistils, some of the leaves were getting crispy and the flowers weren’t looking like they were going to swell any further. Not sure if they are looking any different than they were after Week 7 of flower either :rofl:

!

20221124_111710|666x500

3 Likes

I love seeing people growing out Hoku here, I’m waiting for their Black Friday sale code to kick in before I maybe grab a pack or two, I want the Syrian V2 and Rhinestone Villain seeds for sure and maybe the Mad Runtz too. I really want to get some alternative cannabinoids in my garden to be mixing medicinal salad joints with.

2 Likes

I hear you there on all accounts! Really trying to get into strains that have an array of cannabinoids and that Syrian V2 had definitely piqued my interest. After growing out mostly all Bodhi seeds for the last few years, I am going to be getting more into Hoku and even Seattle Chronic Seeds for the next little bit. Have some Deep Space x Syrian on the way and think I’ll be growing out Tesla Ray and Supa Richie Rich for my next grow.

I don’t think Hoku is on top of their website updates cause I think the sale already ended, they probably just forgot to take the header off their site. Maybe you can email Floyd and he will hook you up as you have been waiting for the sale that already past?

2 Likes

Lol I was worried about that maybe being the case at this point, maybe I will shoot him an email today and be like hey Floyd :point_right::point_left: could I please have a cup of seeds sir

1 Like