Importance of EC When Growing in Soil?

New Overgrow member preparing for first-time grow.

Pretty much have become as comfortable as I can about the various measurements (Ph, TDS, etc.) required during it - except for one, Electro Conductivity (EC). I see it really highlighted for hydroponics but is it just as important for growing in soil and something to be measured regularly? I know TDS and EC are related but not the same. And I just bought a 3 in 1 meter that doesn’t measure EC! Am sure an EC meter wouldn’t be the last meter or measuring device I’ll buy! .

6 Likes

Everything uses EC as their baseline so it’s the most accurate reading you can get. Ppm is calculated from EC and “assumes” things in the # presented while EC is letting you know the solutions overal conductivity due to the dissolved salts and metals.

I use both but the EC is the baseline with the ppm as a secondary “paranoia check” lol.

I use an H&M com-80 for my EC/TDS measurements.

4 Likes

Soil is more ‘forgiving’ than other grow methods, so less worries.

• Are you making your own or using ‘store bought’?
  • What size containers (and type) are you planning on?

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I that a lapsus linguae and you were thinking about pH instead of EC? icon_e_surprised|nullxnull

Are you growing organics? (in that case sorry Gpaw :sweat_smile:) If you’re using bottled nutes it is a must to measure nutrients in your water. First off measure your tap water (high EC would mean abondance of trace minerals like Calcium) and also check its pH.

I am on the parts per million (ppm) side, depending on wich continent you live there are three different scales for EC => ppm conversion:

here’s another references I’ve got:

tds

If that meter measures ppm you’re fine … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

You are right, I’m growing in organic soil and basically water only (other than some teas and top dressing).

If you are actively feeding in soil you should be checking the EC of the runoff occasionally.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I see, you organic soil sorcerers are in the Premier League ejem|nullxnull, I supposed no one in his first grow would go organics :sweat_smile:, “actively feeding” (love that expression) lets you make mistakes and correct them, easier and safer at least for me … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

Thanks @Pigeonman and @George for your input and data tables…

As for soil @Gpaw , it will likely be Pro Mix HP for this first-time grow. I understand Fox Farm Ocean Forest’s formula was changed at some point in recent history, leading folks to complain that it’s too hot and also more nutrients now have to be added to it compared to before. There’s Lush but not allowing myself to go down another rabbit hole else I won’t be getting started til end of summer!! I’m interested in taking the time as this grow unfolds to prep some organic soil not requiring nutes along the lines of subcool’s Super Soil for the next grow.
As for containers, solo cups after germination for seedlings followed by 5 gallon pots for each plant.

4 Likes

Then @Gpaw is right, no need to worry about EC, best of luck with organics, not my cup of tea … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

Yes I wouldn’t worry about it with straight Promix. It’s nice to get baseline readings though. It makes me feel good.

I have an EC meter but I can’t remember ever having used it except in an academic way.

I have a fancy pH meter I don’t use either.

All the best.

1 Like

I started with ProMix (there’s still a couple bags out in the garage)… :grin:

Yes, FFOF seems to be generally too hot for seedlings. I’ve heard of folks cutting with Fox Farms Happy Frog to compensate but I believe there’s better choices out there.

I started with TLO (True Living Organics by The Rev) and then a mess of experimentation and finally to KIS organics. If you hunt around you can find a PDF of TLO on the ‘Interwebs’.

Here’s a good little recipe book:

soil recipes.pdf (193.4 KB)

You will see a lot of commonality amongst them but from personal experience, I can say the KIS (and Coots) are amazing.
I tweak the soil depending what I’m doing. I add some nutriments for mid veg up-pot and a little different mix for the flower up-pot.
5 gallon is a good pot size for soil. Lately, I’ve been working with 3 gallon but stick with the 5 until you have experience with the grow.

And the most important thing? Have fun and learn!!
:+1: :grin:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I’ll chime in here as well. I tried subcools recipe and it was way to hot for all 12 strains I was running.

HERE is a good starting recipe for water only :dash::dash::sunglasses::v::canada:

2 Likes

Buddy, you can get as technical as you want, but for your first grow I would recommend just keeping it simple. Most new growers do more harm than good to their plants. Overwatering, overfeeding, etc.

Good soil, check the ph of your water, and maybe a mild feeding or two. Just learn from there. You might be surprised how little you need to grow good weed.

5 Likes

Just a quick comment on pot size as we are coming into vacation season…3 gal pots require watering a LOT more often than 5 gals.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback. And @Motaco exactly, keep it simple. I’ve already been overwhelmed with lighting decisions, ventilation decisions etc. I feel like if I don’t have a simple approach to address the remaining components, my grow isn’t going to happen until September!

In the next and subsequent grows I can experiment with organic soil - appreciate the recipes @Gpaw and @Canofbusjoe . The “nute-less” part of a well-mixed organic is what draws me most to using it.

3 Likes