Light construction with led strips - Noob

I went right off series connection because of the high voltages involved. At one point i built a large series connected COB rig but the 300V working voltage put me right off so it got turned into two smaller rigs.

I went with parallel strips after that, usually 24V. Circulation fans are 12V. No high voltage inside a grow space :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s a small but dangerous risk.
The manufacturers have no issue with it but they tend to do better wire management than we do. :smile:
Covering the unused pads and wire connections mitigates that issue.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

In the OPs case he shouldn’t be much over 100V with that rig but if anyone wants to build larger rigs from those strips I recommend using a mix of series and parallel connection so you can then use something like an HLG-240H-24 or HLG-320H-36 to power the lot at a higher current but lower voltage. Oh and double insulate every connection. The heat and UV from these things can make wiring insulation brittle after only about a year or so of constant use. I use teflon insulated wire to get around that problem :+1:

2 Likes

Silver plated Teflon wire… I love working with that stuff!
A bit more work to strip… but worth it.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

The removed teflon leaves a film behind that makes it nasty to solder but I find perseverance works. And shrink wrap to neatly hide the burnt bits :grin:

2 Likes

In the end I chose to wire in series for simplicity and because with this build I do not exceed 140V (not that they are few), but if I had to do bigger builds I would definitely go in parallel

3 Likes

:rofl: hide the evidence of the bad soldering :v:
I thought you was a sparky mate???

2 Likes

Lol I am but I’m talking about soldering teflon insulated wire. It’s…a bastard🤣 usually end up having to use so much heat you burn the end of the insulation. It is probably the best wire to use for a grow light though so worth the effort

2 Likes