LowenderMN's grow journal

Also realized the zkittelz seed must have moved when I did the initial top watering. Not centered like the CD4.

Oops! Ha.

Lesson learned. Next time do the top watering first, then plant the seed. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

8/7/23:

Cut and installed some 1" foam board under the octos today. Res Temps were 69-70F. Doesn’t seem too.cold, but we’ll see where things are at tomorrow.

Next set of leaves are coming in. No roots in the res yet (from what I could see through the larger port)

Im still a noob, so I’m not exactly sure. But I have read all sorts of differing opinions on when the veg stage truly starts. I’m guessing I’m somewhere between the 1st true 1 finger leaves, and the 1st set of 5 finger leaves. On day 8 since 1st set of 1 finger leaves on both.

I lowered the light a little to 16" (top end of SF recommendation for veg) and set light to 600 ppfd (also top end of suggested range).

Does that sound right for the stage of growth the octos are in? What should I be watching out for in terms of light stress or the light is too close? Should i hold off on increasing the light intensity and/or lowering it?

The Sour D auto I snapped yesterday looks like nothing happened today. Lol :relieved:

Hoping the light increase will help the SD stretch a little. Or… me starting it under the aerogarden light stunted her. Ha… she’s a mess.

7 Likes

8/9/23:

13 days from sprout. I re-tested the ppfd and I’m at 450ish, not 600. Not sure where i got 600 from… ha…

It is interesting how much warmer the tent is now with such a small change. Was running 72-74 ish with lights on, now I’m at 75-78ish.

Added a 4in duct for more passive intake capacity.

Zkittelz and CD4 are still growing, still no roots in the res as of last night.

Aeroweed (sour D auto) got a defol of lower area. Topped off her res. She is starting to drink a lot more now, and is definately beginning to flower.

Never thought she’d make it this long. Skunky, earthy, and slightly gassy nose going on.

:beers:

6 Likes

Interesting to see the subtle differences in plant structure between the 2 photos starting to show.

Grow babies grow!

7 Likes

Made some small changes to my exhaust automation to help with temp and humidity between lights on and off. Set thresholds to start ramping up exhaust at 77° and/or 63% rh.

Still no roots in the res yet as of last night, but the octo plants are still coming along. Leaves are getting bigger.

My first full weekend out of town since planting is starting today after work. Much needed getaway and am excited to get a couple good days of fishing in! :fishing_pole_and_fish:

Im so glad I’m running octos and my tents automations seem to be pretty stable. :metal:

Happy Friday OGers!

6 Likes

Hey, good luck! Hope you catch limit and fry up some tasty ones.

1 Like

Thanks @insaneyanish ! A limit of walleye would be pretty awesome, and definately tasty! :laughing:

Going up around the Alexandria area with a long time friend and his son. Should be good weather tomorrow too!

5 Likes

You’re making me want to dig out my micro octopots bud. Everything looking fantastic.

1 Like

Doooo iiiit! Ha…

Thank ya @Cbizzle :pray:

1 Like

They’ve grown more than I thought they would when I was gone fishing over the weekend. :metal:

Raised the circulation fans a little. Looks like the 1st node leaves on the zkittels grew into a spot with stronger airflow from a fan, and they aren’t looking too hot.

Aeroweed sour D is finally starting to stretch too! Also starting to chug the water. May have to look for their reservoir attachment in the near future. Still impressed it is still growing and has made it to flower.

Topping

Im counting 4 nodes on each with the 5th nodes underway. Is waiting until the 6th node to fully grow leaves and then top down above the 3rd node a good plan?

Still don’t see any roots in the res through the hole on the octos. I’ll lift up the top cover in a bit to see if any have hit the res on the back side of the wick.

5 Likes

Taken last night (8/14/2023)

Looks like the zkittels is going to have some HUGE leaves. Did some very very gentle lst to begin trying to get the main trunk re-centered in its octopot.

Chemdawg 4 cbd doesn’t seem as bulky as the zkittels, I’m hoping that’s just how that one grows and isn’t something I’m doing wrong. :man_shrugging::laughing:

Zkittels:

Chemdawg 4 cbd:

Aeroweed continues to chug down on its water. Did a full water change, and switched over to jacks 20-20-20. It’s in its 2nd week of flower.

Sour D auto experiment

Last night after a little more lst:

This morning:

4 Likes

Still trucking along. Had noticed the zkittelz seemed to be growing a lot more than before over the past couple of days.

Well i figured out why… A root on the Zkittelz has finally touched down into the res! :metal::partying_face:

I see a root on the CD4 isn’t far behind, it popped out higher up on the side of the wick above the water.

Hopefully it’ll touch down into the drink tomorrow, maybe by morning. :muscle:

Seeing the very tips on both plants are curling downwards just a little bit.

A deficiency, light stress issues? Normal?

Are they hungry?

I feel like the plants are telling me something. Down the rabbit hole for me. Lol… :man_facepalming:

I raised my light a couple of inches to see if it helps.

Ppfd around 500-540ish

Once the cd4 root touches down and the res’ are almost empty, will top both and water/feed back up to lvl 2

Enjoy your evening OG fam :v:

6 Likes

Zkittelz is blasting off!

CD4 has a root in the res now, and 3 more right behind it.

Aeroweed is flowering away!

7 Likes

The octos got topped on Friday, and then cleaned up everything except for the top and secondary nodes today. Prepping to do a 4 way lst, and new ‘mains’ seem to be coming in nicely.

Aeroweed is a tank. Never expected it to survive this long, and I can see the beginnings of some frost on the baby sugar leaves. May need to improvise how to dry without a 2nd tent, granted she makes it to the finish line. Ha… :man_facepalming:

Lotus/low and slow maybe…

Have a good evening OG ers!

5 Likes

A spray bottle is a big help
The dome is a great thing but I made a hole at the top for some airflow it’s easy to close with a fold and a clip

The fuzz could be good microbes for the soil but I would let air in
Also if the cutting is small a 2 liter Pepsi bottle with the top cut off works great as a dome

No after a few days under the dome Tahoe the dome off for a few bit see how she does spray with water
If needed replace the dome but try to harden the plant off ( after a week at most to a full 10 days it should not need a dome )

Q did you use rooted clones or non rooted [quote=“LowenderMN, post:1, topic:119205”]
as seedlings, should i be maintaining that water level daily? or
[/quote]

Just saw seedlings
Let the res empty between feeding and feed each fill only to the 1 st level line
Should be hitting the res in 20 days at most

I use both my intake runs non stop
My circulation fans run constantly, and my exhaust fan goes on and off every 20 minutes

Just getting caught up on the thread not sure how I missed it

I’ll tag along for the show

I like your set up nice and clean

Paps

1 Like

Thanks for the tips @papalag, much appreciated!

I don’t have any intake fans, but do have one side vent and a 4 inch duct set up as passive intakes. I do still see a decent amount of negative pressure in the tent, but my temp/rh ranges seem pretty stable. Maybe on the high side for rh during lights out.

I have one circ fan running constantly, and another oscillating one set for lights on (aci says to not run on oscillate for more than 18 hours?). May try to install a larger stationary fan above the light to move the air around towards the top of the tent.

Training day :muscle:

Aeroweed!

4 Likes

@insaneyanish

Have you melted into a puddle yet? This weather is unreal! Hasn’t been this bad in a looong time.

10pm, still feels like 98°. :hot_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s been super nasty here lately. A hot summer is one thing, but a hundred!? I know the southern states are gonna wanna chuckle at that, but it’s hard being in a place that goes down to -60°F, then all the way up to 110°F.

2 Likes

It’s the really high humidity and dewpoints that get me. Straight rainforest level conditions. 97° air, 116° heat index. Just… Swampy af! Ha…

It was so bad at my place yesterday the concrete in my garage was starting to wick moisture out of the air. Looked like it had rained. In my garage. Lol :man_facepalming:

I’m just to the west of Lake minnetonka for reference. I think you mentioned you’re in central MN?

Think I heard on MPR yesterday the last true 100 degree air temp reading in MN was in 1988 or around there.

1 Like