Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„ (Part 1)

Ralphsters or sporeworks are both US based and great vendors

4 Likes

Ordered cannabis seeds at freespore.com, very fast and friendly contact and shipment. 5,50ā‚¬ for ~20 seeds of 3 strains.

Not related, Iā€™m going to make my first spore syringe from my own print and inoculate a few jars of vermiculite + rice flour. Wish me luck. :smiley:

5 Likes

Syringe set up with spores re-hydrating. Rice cakes set up. Will sterilize them later and leave over night. Tomorrow I shall inoculate!

4 Likes

Double, double toil and trouble ā€¦

4 Likes

Sorry :grin: posted something but it shows up in the wrong place

2 Likes

Paul Stamets is the man when it comes to mushrooms. He has many books about mushroom cultivation, permaculture and one about magic mushrooms. Mycoremediation. You can look up https://fungi.com/
They do seminars, sell mycelium, bennificial mycorrhizae etc.

Another good and interesting person with many TEKs is a guy that goes by the name RogerRabbit and if Iā€™m not wrong is on shroomery. He has a series of films called ā€œletā€™s grow mushroomsā€ very informative and useful and accessable. :+1::grin:

6 Likes

Roger rabbit is the man and has been for many yearsā€¦ When it comes to knowledge on how to grow them he is endlessā€¦ Iā€™ve watched him grow on bras, Bibleā€™s, money, even on white widow flower. ā€¦

6 Likes

Done. Now waiting to see what is going to grow. If anything.
Is it ok to keep the jars in the grow space (with lights on)? It has the right temp, not sure if darkness is required.

Edit: the internet was indecisive, I moved them to darkness.

3 Likes

Some species are light sensitive others not so much, but I guess that the inoculation/propagation in the media part should be done in a dark place. ideally in a place with a constant temperature 21Ā°C and once the mycelium has taken over the cakes, they need a trigger, humidity, sudden temperature drop or in some cases physical shock ( shiitake mushrooms growing on loggs in Japan are banged hard and this triggers the mushrooms to.come.out.)

Seriously check RogerRabbit letā€™s grow mushrooms

5 Likes

I found that some people experienced early pinning in light and had a hard time to get the cake out of the jar. Figured I canā€™t do much wrong with a dark place, itā€™s just a bit cooler.

2 Likes

Do not put your jars in with your plants lol the lights will dry your media before the myc had a chance to start

Mushrooms are not phototropic so they donā€™t need light to do anything but it helps for temps in fruitingā€¦

5 Likes

The early pinning people are experiencing is because noone wants to use a pressure cooker anymore because weā€™re in a ā€œgive it to me nowā€ generation and their attempt at steam sterilizing or boiling came close but doesnā€™t pasteurize the media so the myc has to fruit early because the bacterium is taking over the cake and the myc needs to fruit to beat it with its own spores and mycellium or die.

Has nothing to do with lightā€¦ All my jars have colonized on a desk in indirect sunlight since 07 when we realized that using a tote with a heating pad in it for warmth did much more harm then goodā€¦

The one thing I can say for mushrooms is you will fail a couple times off the startā€¦ Itā€™s inevitableā€¦ but tweaking little things here and there will lessen contam rates greatly and youā€™ll get the hang of itā€¦

Also
you canā€™t believe ā€œstrainā€ hypeā€¦ Mushrooms are Asexual and every individual spore is a different variation on the mush you grew, you cant breed mushrooms so how can there be ā€œStrainsā€? Strains are locations in which most were found or just something someone thought sounded coolā€¦ the way your mushrooms will grow is TOTALLY dependent on the environment you give themā€¦ not how someone else grew themā€¦

Just a bit of infoā€¦ not really poking people, just want you to know as you said internet was indecisiveā€¦ Iā€™ve been doing it for 12 years and it is still the most pain in the ass things Iā€™ve ever grown lol

8 Likes

Just check these videos, follow his instructions and you will be good to go.

Plus with time you will be able to produce your own inoculant.

For example just to give you an idea. If you have pure spores you could use those to make a mother spawn with with a pasteurised media( bird seed, rye, barley) and with that you could make more jars and it goes up to 300 and from those you could use the seeds to inoculate rice cakesā€¦ Itā€™s a bit of a.scam when it comes to spores because most people donā€™t know about what I just explained above. Use the syringe once or one for every crop. Instead a syringe could.be used to inoculate an agar petri dish and so on

Hope this brings a bit of light :grin: and is helpful

7 Likes

Also with most of what you just posted about grain transfers and master jars you NEED STERILITYā€¦ Iā€™m talking flowhoods and still airboxes in a sterile environment or it will contamā€¦ Thatā€™s where things start getting hinky and evolve beyond trying to have fun and makes failing that much worse lol

PS the hell are ā€œpure sporesā€? Spores are sporesā€¦lol

Edit: you meant like if all you have is sporesā€¦ lol got itā€¦ Sobriety is killing me

5 Likes

Good info here, thanks a lot @toastyjakes. I have only grown them from kit with no problem. First time trying from spore print.

There are a few things that might go wrong, not sure about the quality of the print and I think my rice/vermiculite mix i a bit on the wet side. But Iā€™m happy to say I used a pressure cooker. :smiley:

3 Likes

How do you quote someone?

Well anyway, when I say pure spores, I mean that itā€™s of one only given species, say a spore print of a given mushroom and that hasnā€™t been contaminated by any other fungi a.i. thricoderma or say mold spores. Maybe getting a bit to technical here.

3 Likes

Woooo!

Iā€™ve never tried the internet kits, but perhaps I shouldā€¦

When we moved into this apartment, there is mold somewhere I canā€™t see as every jar Iā€™ve made here has failedā€¦ I use birdseed 99% of the time and that NEEDS a pressure cooker to kill endospores so the seed doesnt sproutā€¦ Just lost 3 qt jars to this apartment and went and bought some brown rice flour so I need to get it done and get some mush cuz my brain needs a heavy resetā€¦ been a couple years

6 Likes

Mark the text, software magic does the rest.

3 Likes

You take and highlight the text you want to quote and a little box should pop up that says Quote and click itā€¦ should put everything you highlighted in the reply box

1 Like

Yes true, but you can clone a given mushroom by using tissue collected for example from the inside of the stem. Isolating the sample and growing it on agar petri dish thus maintaing itā€™s DNA .just like removing a cutting from a mother

When collecting spores and using them, you are making a new ā€œrecipeā€ :grin: just like having pĆ³len from plant A and female B you get AB seeds

4 Likes