Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

I do know that the prisoners that work on some of these prison farms will just walk up to the shrooms when they can sneak them they will just pluck them straight out of the patty and eat them right away to get a buzz… I personally don’t think I would want to trip on shrooms while in a prison environment as I would probably end up on a bad trip I would think… I personally have not messed psychedelics since over 25 years ago after having a bad trip on both shrooms and LSD… The bad trip on LSD was the most traumatic event I ever had when I was 18, My best friend and roommate at the time literally turned into this hideous “Demon” (for lack of a better word) right in front of me and started talking to me in some language unknown to me! Needless to say I totally freaked out and started screaming at him/it at the top of my lungs with my fist held up as my fight or flight response kicked in, I did not know whether to try and attack it or run, Luckily it only lasted for seconds and he turned back into my friend… But still I ran out of the house with my friend running out of the house behind me also! Needless to say we were both so freaked out about the incident that we would not go back in the house until the next morning. I am omitting other things that also happened prior to the Demon sighting for sake of time, But l will say this, We took the LSD and 2 hours went by without either of us feeling anything at all , in fact we both thought we got ripped off and we we’re fixing to go back across town to confront my buddy that got it for us before all hell just suddenly broke loose…
I have never had LSD not affect me and a friend for 2 hours and then suddenly just kick in like that and I have never heard of anyone else that has happened to either, Usually LSD starts working within 30-45 minutes and is obvious and gets stronger as time passes, not this time it went from absolutely feeling nothing to oh shit whats happening!
Sorry to ramble on with my story, but the whole shroom thread brought up old memories.
I will say this though I am convinced after that experience that LSD opens up gateways to other dimensions that can be truly evil!!!

9 Likes

Spawned the Golden Teachers and the Purple Mystic to substrate today, once fully colonized in 7-10 days I’ll fruit them out. :peace:

19 Likes

So I had some rye berries that I hit with Agaricus bisporus ready to spawn to substrate so, I grabbed two Chinese take out trays that’s exactly 2.5 inches in depth and great for splitting a jar of rye berries…here is my “Take out Tray Tek”

14 Likes

4 pans of cubes and 2 pans of white button spawned from grain to poo based sub, set aside to colonize. All my cakes have show signs of germ and are quickly beginning to colonize. Need to make agar, have work to do with my current dishes…bought store bought so maybe thats why so many contams…I’ll feel better tomorrow when my PC arrives and I can get right with my prep and gear.Thanks for peekin in. Peace.

16 Likes

Everyone who plans to grow mushrooms at some time will need to get a good canning pressure cooker, I prefer the 23qt one personally. Here is my new one.
Build out, take to temp, run 30min 15psi pressure run, gather data.
Tonight I will be sterilizing agar and also some distilled water to make spore prints / syringes / agar transfers

20 Likes

This topic is great, thanks man. I’ve read about it, but never seen it in such detail. You rock!

7 Likes

What are you using to hold the distilled water? Mason jar with a regular lid or with a injection port?

Picked this old Windsor A from the dump. Very old school. Takes some skill to adjust the pressure.

9 Likes

I make injection port tops for my mason 1/2 pts - they hold 100ml of distilled water nicely and that gives me enough to fill 8-10 syringes. :peace:

4 Likes

Man, I so want to get into this!!! you guys are awesome! I went shroom hunting this year without any luck. I think I went to high in altitude and it was too cold. I know there are tons around here that grow wild during the rainy season.

4 Likes

So today I finally found some yellow oysters that I want to print and lucked up and found lionsmane too…whew super stoked. I have three excellent shiitake prints. Now that I have unlimited agar available, I’m trying to decide if I just want to tear the caps and get a cloned specimens of the oyster and lionsmane and just put that to agar instead. I have sector isolation’s to take of the 2 Purple Mystic p2 plates and then those all have to be grown out. I will just have to back the GT up with actual caps to make spore prints, would like to concentrate on one strain at a time, at least till i get a good mono culture. So anyway its gonna take a minute to get through the PM agars so may just print both and then grow them out later too…lots to do and all the options available as I have everything I need basically now to run the whole op and the lab, just need to get a flow hood built and Ii should be golden…SAB is not fun to work in. I also got the hardwood / straw / manure / vermiculite / peat / brown rice [I make my own flour for BRF cakes] / lime and gypsum…plus all the other goodies needed so if I cant fruit some shrooms I need to give up…Peace

I’ll add more pic’s as the day progress’s

7 Likes

Got the SAB all set and letting it settle, lots of mycology today…will post a nice summery of today’s adventures…the cubes are kicking ass, may be able to fruit them by the weekend :mushroom:

12 Likes

Well have not made the agar and sterilized the 4oz jars yet, but I have:

Taken yellow oyster tissue to agar from store bought.

Taken lionsmane tissue to agar from a nice little button I found in the store.

Taken shiitake tissue to agar from store bought.

Taken live mycelium culture from Golden Teacher grain jar and put to agar.

Taken live mycelium culture from Purple Mystic grain jar and put to agar.

Taken live mycelium sector Isolation cultures of Purple Mystic [ten taken from p1 -> p2]

Still left to do tonight, read up on Cats sealed jar agar tek, new to me but hey I like it.

Make a case of sealed MEA agar 4 oz jelly jars

Check all my subs, 2 trays of Agaricus bisporus, 1 grow bag of Purple Mystic and one grow bag of Golden Teacher. [dude they are colonizing like mad…this weekend and they will be ready to fruit]

Enjoy the pics and feel free to comment please…Peace.

14 Likes

What is the next best thing to rye berries?

2 Likes

Gosh there are tons of grains, from rye grass seed to millet, bird seed to popcorn. I have spawned to a lot of grains, as long as you can get the moisture content right and not pop them by over soaking / cooking and use sterile tek you can just about use anything tbh. Popcorn is cheap an easy tek to follow IMHO popcorn is the way to go , some will tell you that the inoculation points are fewer because the grains are bigger at the same time it will colonize faster and that will be good to minimize contams… :mushroom:

9 Likes

This shit is fascinating! Love to try it. Are the kits you see on line worth the time and money for small batches?

6 Likes

Yes they are and super easy as they send most to you ready to just fruit so its sorta plug and play and a good way to decide if you like this or not…I do myself so have learned how to do it cheaply and efficiency, heck and even to make a few busk at the farmers market along the way. :peace:

4 Likes

Checked my Agaricus bisporus [Portabello / Crimini / White or Brown Button…they are all the same just diferent name changes depending when you pick them,] this morning…spawned to poo based sub on 11/12…and they seems to be doing well and contam free.

12 Likes

Are these mushrooms magical? Or everyday variety for nourishment?

I tried my hand at it years ago, roommate ended up stealing my whole tub set up

3 Likes

Is there a particular one you can recommend or are they all the same?

3 Likes

Looking at the trays I have its time to go ahead and case them and start them on a fruiting schedule, so made my own casing, pasteurized it and I will be casing 2 trays of Agaricus bisporus in shoe box totes with a casing surrounding each block of mycelium. Still waiting on the casing to cool

Here is my casing recipe:

6 cups sifted dry peat

6 cups dry vermiculite

1 Table spoon Lime

1 qt water

Add lime to water and shake well to distubute

Mix dry ingredients together well

shake lime water and add 25 % then stir and repeat till you run out of water…you will just at field capacity…but still check

put in 1 gal freezer bag and leave a 1 inch opening in the zip lock

flatten our casing mix and push all air out

microwave on high for 6 minutes

flip over and repeat

remove from microwave and close zip-lock bag, set to side to cool 12-18 hours.

Can be stored in frig in sealed bag for a good while.

13 Likes