Need some advice - DWC root issues?

Was the lighting the same for both? Did you water both from the top - so that the top of the coco was wet and in the light at the same time for both?

My mini hempy buckets do the same thing - turn green on top - when they get a lot of light.

Ive been thinking about this off and on since we first came up with the algae thing. I Know there are algaecides out there. The question is - are any of them safe to use on a weed plant - AND - safe for humans to consume?

I know there are products to treat algae in pools. Some of them contain copper as the active ingredient.

Here is one example.

here is what is claims:

Super Algaecide Plus from Doheny’s! Its powerful formula of chelated copper kills all common algae growth: stubborn green, black algae, and even kills persistent yellow mustard algae. Our brand of algaecide will not foam or cloud your swimming pool water and is effective in all parts of the country.

7% Chelated Copper
Recommended Dosage: 2 oz per 10,000 gallons
Initial Dosage: 4 oz per 10,000 gallons 

If 2 oz kills algae in 10,000 gallon pool, we wouldnt need much in our rez.

BUT - is it safe?

Im thinking that if you just dunked your roots in some of this stuff, it should be fine…

Yes and yes; they were always in the same tent, under the same schedule of a 600W MH

As to the safety of chelated copper - I found this on a coop extension website. It seems to be copper sulfates and chelates are herbicides…

1 Like

Excellent find!

So, if it doesnt kill fish or frogs or turtles, and you can swim in treated water safely - Im going to guess its safe for us.

Still…

1 Like

That sounds like it started in the rez for sure and spread when you used the water.

1 Like

Yep, totally safe for us, but kills the cells of photosynthetic organisms, like our cannabis :stuck_out_tongue:

What we need to research, is the mechanism by which it intoxicates the cell. It is possible that the roots will not bring enough of it through their ion pumps; but also possible that it will destroy the roots…

I gotta go to sleep. Will pick up this research tomorrow

2 Likes

Well crap. Im getting the brown crud on my roots again. Its not slimy and doesnt smell, so Im assume its algae. Now to decide which brand of algecide to try and if I should spray it directly on the roots or put it in the rez.

Anyone have any ideas on that?

1 Like

That is exactly the PNW algae I have infesting my shit. No smell, no rot, just nasty brown slime suffocating the roots.

Ugh. Calcium pool shock at 20ppm?

1 Like

Ive been doing pool shock routinely. Havent tried a heavy dose on this outbreak, but I did try spraying some that was at least that strong directly on the roots of the previous plant and it didnt stop it.

I think the only option ow is to try the algecide. From that quote you posted above, I think the chelated copper stuff sounds like the best bet, but Im still looking.

1 Like

Well, algaecides do not kill every living thing in the pond, so theres a chance they do their job.

Have you tried bennies at all? Not through the system but maybe manually sprayed on the roots? Who knows, that shit might eat algae…

1 Like

Yup. Direct spray on the roots - no effect as far as I can see. Cant run them through the HPA system - it kills them.

1 Like

Dam, I don’t know anymore. Maybe my hydro store buddy was right after all - sterile room with positive pressure and filtration.

I dont know about where you are, but in coastal SW BC I can now, after knowing what it is, almost taste algae every time I go outside, except in the months of may through August…

1 Like

I didn’t read the whole thread, so hopefully I’m still on topic here.

What products are you running in your bucket? I’m curious. Some organic products really fuel algae, some don’t at all. That might be some of the issue here.

I run both Hydroguard and Orca for safety and that does an excellent job at keeping things golden throughout runs. Temps are obviously important too… anything above 72 and you’re really asking for problems, but down in the high 60’s is where you should be. UC roots, which I also have, is for a sterile res. It’s similar to pool shock. Smells like a bottle of bleach. I use it in my cloner mostly and it works great for that. So if you have things like Mammoth P, Hydroguard, Orca and other microbes and living things, then you’re just going to kill it off with UC Roots. So you gotta pick one or the other… I’m for live as well, but you have to be careful what organic stuff you’re putting in your res… Some stuff just doesn’t work out and causes issues. Best to keep it really simple as far as additives go until you get your system under control.

3 Likes

@SportFarmer, I just ran nutes and pool shock, no bennies. @anon32470837 also ran sterilizing agents, but he is in the same geographical area (although a different country) known for rampant algae, and is seeing growth in aeroponics chambers too.

To be honest I needed to keep the production up so i switched the plants to coco, which is tried tested and true here, but do want to try again and hopefully get rid of the medium either through DWC or AA HPA.

1 Like

I hear ya on that… Cant be without smoke… :smiley: Flood and drain w/ coco is certainly a nice route to go. DWC can be a pain in the ass but damn rewarding at the same time. It’s a tricky system until you get things dialed for yourself, that is for sure.

Hmmm, I’ve heard of others having issues like this with well water too… A lot of those guys ended up brewing teas to solve the issue with algae. I’m surprised to hear pool shock is not working. Have you thought about teas?

2 Likes

Teas is the only thing I have not tried. By the time the first suggestion came about I was already 3 weeks behind and itching to see some progress. Maybe I’ll try that in a single bubbler next time. I even saved some dehydrated algae in a jar to inoculate a bucket to test other methods. I’m sick like that.

But what I will likely do before then is pursue a completely sterile aero chamber. I worked on a few commercial grow facilities, and they all seem to be sterile, airlocked, and severely hydroponic :wink:

2 Likes

I just did a lot more reading. The pool guys say the brown algae is actually a form of mustard algae. They also say its chlorine ‘resistant’ and very difficult to kill, but thats still what they use to kill it.

They dont like algaecides because they add copper to the pool water - which is a no no in pools.

They recommend at least two to three heavy duty shock treatments in the 20PPM or higher range. They also recommend repeated brushing and vacuuming of the pool and scrubbing anything you can reach.

I dont have any algaecide at the moment, so I just dunked the entire root ball (its small) in some 60PPM pool shock for about 30 seconds. I also upped the PPM in the rez to 10 PPM. It will be diluted by the time it reaches the roots, so that should be safe - maybe.

I’ll see how it looks tomorrow and maybe do another dunk - if the plant hasnt died yet :slight_smile: If this doesnt work, then I will order some algaecide and try that.

2 Likes

Well, shit you probably don’t need my advice then, lol. I just thought I’d chime in because I’ve been down this road before with the algae. But yeah teas work very well actually, so you may consider that in the future.

It’s some interesting stuff. It can just infest your whole root zone in less then 24 hours out of nowhere and basically suffocate them. Anytime I got the problem in the past I would just out army them with Hydroguard… drop like 15ml on their asses and a week later they’re pretty much gone. but the infected areas are stained for good.

3 Likes

This is interesting. I wonder if the brown stuff I saw on my one plants roots was the same? I assumed root rot, but who knows, you guys got me thinking.

The room rebuild includes positive-pressure root zones this time around, along with a sterile res and highly filtered air. Maybe this will help take care of it for me.

3 Likes

Pool shock up-date - no effect as far as I can tell. In fact, the brown is spreading. Almost all the roots are now brown. Ive done one 30 second dunk, and two one minute dunks in pool shock that is around 200 PPM. Plus, I upped the shock to around 10 PPM in the rez.

The plant still looks great. No signs of stress from the chlorine or the browning at all.

2 Likes

So are we in consensus then that what we have infesting our gardens is brown/mustard algae? I know of nothing that can survive 200ppm of chlorine :confused:

1 Like