Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 3)

6 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Another hero with no super human powers…

2 Likes
1 Like

5 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

you know something i just realized, until they changed the calendar and adjusted for leap years they were the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th months. new year’s used to be in april, and they made a change for leap years or something with pope gregory and the gregorian calendar and that’s how we got april fool’s day. no, that doesn’t add up either. damn, i thought i had it figured out.

4 Likes

Following another calendar reform, which later Roman writers attributed to Romulus’ successor, Numa Pompilius, the Republican calendar was instituted. To account for the days of winter between the years, two additional months were introduced: Ianuarius and Februarius.

This meant that some of the month names no longer agreed with their position in the calendar. For example, September means “the 7th month,” but it was now the 9th month of the year—an inconsistency that was preserved and is still part of the Gregorian calendar we use today.

An interesting bit of trivia from this too - apparently the Ides varied between the 13th and 15th from month to month. A very old Roman saying from Caesar’s time, of course, is “beware the Ides of March,” because that’s when Caesar was assassinated. I wonder if this has anything to do with our superstitions about the number 13?

3 Likes

damn, i was close.

1 Like

5 Likes

Nice modern sort of a pennyfarthing.

5 Likes

Don’t try this at home please…

6 Likes

The new kid at work didn’t believe me when I told him a bucket of gas wouldn’t light from dropping a cigarette in it… you shoulda seen him run when I threw one in a catch pan of gas

5 Likes

fumes ignite not the liquid fuel

2 Likes

I bet that chick in the burqa has a hot ass body too…

4 Likes

Well hell yes, direct sun on a hot day. You bet your ass she’s got a hot body. Hot and sweaty! :laughing: :joy: