Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

No gravel. Same soil as last grow with coarse perlite mixed in.

I placed the seeds in the wrong way, so I had to go digging for them. The crystal candy seed is already swollen. Now all seeds are carefully placed point side down and at most 1" down. I tried to make it a easy 3rd of a inch

It was extremely easy to work with and I nearly lost the seeds in there it moves so passively. It’s definitely aerated. With no plants in it, it dried a lot overnight.

I’ll amend it on my next grow after I see how perlite alone affects the growth. I’m strapped for cash now. It was now or never. Otherwise I’m babysitting the slow growing auto in the pot

@ReikoX also it still could be. It’s f1 and untested. Let’s see what it does lol

I’ll keep an eye and nose open for any special phenotype expression. If I do what would you want me to do? I know you are looking for f2 seeds of the Zkittlez cross. It’s so tasty right?:slightly_smiling_face:

What he said :stuck_out_tongue: I would go with it since its draining and drying faster now :wink:

3 Likes

The seeds are germinating now I’ll have to get the room in that pseudo box settled in the morning.
I’m glad I knew about aloe vera being good for germinating seeds. Apparently cloning can be done in a fresh chunk of aloe vera with nothing else. Just prune and pop in the leaf tip.

Makes me wonder about a homemade rooting gel from aloe vera, cinnamon, honey, willow extract, seaweed extract, and mycorrhizae :thinking: apparently cinnamon acts as a antifungal and can help with damping off. Honey is antibacterial and antifungal.
Not that expensive to make either and it should keep in the fridge for awhile. Maybe minus the mycorrhizae IDK the shelf life of anything made with them. Easy enough to mix it in each cup on each use if it’s going to be a hassle with storage.

1 Like

Here’s today’s pics.

Not that many as I’m tired Tonight and not much change as humidity dropped while I was out to 30%

I color coded the pots to remember what seed is what.
Silver and blue is Platinum Glue x Zkittlez
Purple and green are the unknown auto from the fem mix. I have a feeling it’s most likely a la diva cross.
Red and violet are Crystal Candy auto

1 Like

That is a lot all at once. How about using the willow extract and aloe vera to soak in just after cutting then dip in honey and into substrate…foliar weekly with seaweed and fish hydrosolate and save the mycorrhizae for root set

3 Likes

Okay. It was just a idea on a rooting gel to replace the general synthetic crap out there now. With all the rooting hormones it would help I’d imagine. Like how late helps germination speed alone for example similar to willow extract

You can certainly try it and experiment :wink: The problem I have with it is mostly the honey…by its nature, it’ll block out most of the hormones anyway which is why it makes a great sealant. Being diluted with the added water from the extracts changes the honey slightly so its thinner and may give an opportunity for hormones to get to the cuttings stem though this also means a higher chance of mildew because there is nothing to preserve it and it’ll continue to move out of the solution clumping at the bottom without an emulsifier

3 Likes

I had no idea honey blocks hormones. I’ve always heard it’s really good for you🤔 then again it’s high in sugar by weight, so anyone with a sensitivity to sugar would show issues with it.

I found this.

Unfortunately Google wants to feed me nothing except for articles about foods you should never eat. None of them bring up honey even 1 time.

I see some of what you were talking about. Nothing about hormones. Just inhibiting aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. At the same time it also contains some microbes and promotes certain aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to propagate in low dilution. I found out not all anaerobic bacteria are bad. One is purple bacteria that fix phosphorus.

2 Likes

Yeah they are not all bad guys :wink: A perfect example is Local Beneficial Microorganism’s…this is an aerobic process whereas Lactobacillus serum uses an anaerobic process which is awesome for our soils

Oh don’t get me wrong, honey is a wonderful to use as long as it actually comes from a hive and not the store…you’ll have to dilute it like 1 Tb honey into 2c hot water to thin it out and combine it with the other natural hormone/root boosters and remix before each use as it’ll want to separate…it’ll last ~2wks in the fridge before it starts to mold without a preservative.

You can also use aspirin and apple cider vinegar, I just err on the side of caution and choose a couple things going in layers rather than all at once as some don’t play well with others :wink:

2 Likes

I actually have a bottle of organic unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother in it still. Not a lot, but it was only $4 for a decent bottle. For organic I was expecting it to cost me 8 or more.

I had to use it for a fruit fly problem. My friend keeps bringing stragglers from his house. The rest come from next door. The amount of ripe bananas over there is insane. Currently none left. I tried other vinegar, but specifically Apple cider with the mother does it best. A little plastic bag or something over the cup and just poke holes. The swarm in the cups sounded like popping popcorn :rofl::man_facepalming:t2: when they get too full I add water on top and kill the cup before I redo it. Works better than fly traps LoL

2 Likes

It works on gnats too, but add a couple drops of dish soap in there. Makes the flies stick more and drown faster. lol

2 Likes

Oh I do. It doesn’t work without it. Something about the soap helping it keep from evaporating too quickly on top of breaking surface tension.

2 Likes

I felt the soil last night and it was dry 2" down. I watered with 20oz water this time and no issues or nutes stuck in the soil LoL.

Flash on

Overhead shots

I lowered my lights 5" when I saw the plants leaning towards the CFL after watering. I guess I had them too far up, but I wasn’t sure if it was light stress or a magnesium deficiency or what else it could have been, but one of the 1st set of serrated leaves has uncurled after watering when it got wet. It could have been a mix of things, but I’m probably going to bet on it needed more moisture than I’ve given it so far.

Healthy color still, so let’s see how this auto can grow🙂

Still waiting on the seeds to pop. I kept the area moist in the center with a little extra water this morning when I saw it dry out on top. The aloe vera helps it stay moist for awhile though. After I watered the pot yesterday the area around the clover was dry too by the end of the day. It seems that aloe washes down with the water without much struggle.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple of pics before I head to bed.

Not the best setup, but it should do better than before. The humidity all day has been in the low 40s. The humidifier had run out when I was sleeping this morning and it dropped to 30%:man_facepalming:t2: I really need a better option in there. Hopefully the new setup helps. Tomorrow I’ll be finding more boards to setup around the area. It’ll be my ghetto grow box LoL :thinking: until funds are better I’ll have to live with what I have on hand. Luckily that includes screws, brackets, nails, a hammer, and if need be I could borrow a drill. These old closet shelves are good for something finally.

Latest pic of the auto

The clover was having a hard initial adjustment, but the look today after watering is showing me it’s acclimated to the soil now. All leaves open outside those that died when I ripped it out of the ground. I didn’t pull from it’s main section. I took a runner it sent off to the side and ran it inside to transplant. I left it with the chunk of soil it took with it as the soil does have some microbes enjoying their time there. Hopefully it includes the nitrogen fixing bacteria the clover need to get it from the air unless it’s already in my soil and I received misinformation on that one.

That’s all that’s happening on my end tonight. Tomorrow I’ll find something to do and try to get a semi enclosed box going. I’ll see if I can’t get some Saran wrap at the store to seal the cracks with.

On a completely unrelated note my friend never tried a fluffernutter before, so I have to fix that. For his Christmas present he’s getting a box full of fluff with recipes included. They only have jet puff marshmallow creme or whatever tf that garbage is called in their state. His GF likes jet puff fake fluff. I must correct this tragedy. Once you try fluff you can’t get enough :rofl:

4 Likes

:thinking: size 10 :athletic_shoe:, don’t ruin the floors! :wink:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Close actually. 10.5-11. good eye LoL.
I’ll have a tray beneath the pots no worries. I just have to do a sweep in the morning. A little bit of dirt from mixing found it’s way in the air and I’ve been waiting for it to settle in the wind room.

It’s stupidly comfortable in that room. Mid spring or so. My hygrometer says 40% but it feels closer to 50-60 like it should be. Am I going to have to make full use of my sensory input issues to bypass broken tech?:thinking: Usually I can’t use it in any way, so I try to keep away any sensory overload, but if it helps my babies I’ll train my meh skills at knowing what it’s like in a room, my taste for pH, my nose for pH, and obviously my nose for if something is spoiled. In general if I smell what I’m feeding them is like a beet I toss it. They show issues if it smells like a beet. Today I watered with water at 5.5 pH. I’m going to grab some distilled water tomorrow as I’m tired of the pH swing of my tap water and I’d like a reliable source of water I can use for the plants.

I’ve been gone all day. The leaves grew a good amount today. Growth is Definitely picking up finally.

The seeds still haven’t popped out yet, but we’ll see if they pop out soon🤔

No pics rn as the plants are sleeping. I got to see them almost immediately after lights off, but I didn’t want to risk a camera flash screwing with the plants. I saw a dry patch already forming. Might take a bit longer before I have to water again. I didn’t expect to water today after the day before I had just watered. Seems to be somewhat related to the clover if I were to guess.

Does anyone have any insight on if clovers are heavy drinkers? Otherwise they just had a heavy drinking day with the lower humidity they’ve had the last 2 days. Not that I’m complaining. They don’t seem stressed by the environment ATM.

I’ll have to get a schedule in place to replace the tank every 12 hours before humidity drops like a stone once it’s not on or even if it’s on low. IDK why I can’t get humidity above 50% anymore. It was 80% Rh 2 nights ago before I watered the 1st time this week. The last 2 days since it’s been 40% average. No idea why that is, but I’ll be solving this if possible.

2 Likes

I’m assuming clover drinks a lot as it only pops up in my yard during fall and winter when everything is wet from dew, been raining is wetter than usual or otherwise when everything dries slower.

Maybe put the humidifier closer to the space with the plants and like @cannabissequoia said use some sort of plastic to create a greenhouse effect

3 Likes