Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

I guess the clover was mandatory for dense soilšŸ¤”
It took next to no time after it rooted for the soil to dry to where the pot was nearly weightless the day after I had just watered :rofl:

1 Like

Only let it dry out 2 inches from top then water just those inches. Less water more often than the last grow. You are like me and have a tendency to over water. Eventually you find the perfect groove. Remember evenly moist, not wet

2 Likes

Iā€™m not really sure what clover really does aside from nitrogen, but I let it stay in my grass and flower beds as the roots are so shallow that it doesnā€™t seem to bother anything else trying to grow. Just a cover crop really, couldnā€™t tell you if itā€™s a good aerator since the roots are so small and shallow

2 Likes

Itā€™s actually supposed to send a root deep down bringing nutrients to the surface Iā€™ve been reading.
Iā€™ll admit I was wrong if someone can correct me.

The roots were strong enough to pull up concrete with the chunk I tore out. I actually had to use strength to get it out of the concrete/asphalt where it was creeping around.

I can say for sure the clover I grabbed does not have shallow small roots. Itā€™s so many generations old now itā€™s older than I am. Itā€™s older than my stepfather actually. My Grandpa tried to eliminate it countless times and it kept coming back. My stepdad knew the important of it, so heā€™s been caring for the garden since Grandpa passed.

Is there a way to know how much water I need to use for the 2"? The 10oz last time dried in just a day, so I added more this time. Almost none dripped out the Bottom with 20oz of water added. By the end of itā€™s day the soil is looking like the soil halfway through yesterday. I wish it was something I could predict for how much they drink. At least rn it seems like itā€™s close to 10oz or so a day. :thinking: Itā€™s most likely going to change soon anyways, but it would be nice if the plants had a pattern I could follow.

2 Likes

My clover has been here for more than 70 years. It pulls right up and comes every year. It may be a different type. All I know is it gets yellow flowers on it

You and I are very different when it comes to growing cannabis in a pot. For my garden, companion plants are fine, but I donā€™t want jack shit in my pots competing with my MJ roots. lol

2 Likes

Ummā€¦ watering. Try starting with 10% of the pot volume then see if itā€™s moistened to 2 inches
I watched a YouTube of these monster plant growers in Northern Cali that fed their plants only 1 gallon a day to their 100 gallon potsā€¦ I donā€™t have that kind of green thumb so I follow the 2" stick my finger in it rule. I personally only water to run off when I flush the plants every few weeks to get rid of the salts

1 Like

At least I learned 20oz causes 1ml runoff?:thinking: Itā€™ll change Iā€™m sure, but it gives me a idea. Iā€™ll probably stick to 10oz for now.

Hereā€™s this morningā€™s pics

Tired. Iā€™ll take some more pics if I can. These were taken at lights on within 15 minutes. Iā€™ve been catching up with friends. I also regret everything and just dawned my hash. Too much solid matter. On the plus side it tasted exactly like walnuts. That tells me itā€™s decarbed now or it has a extremely strong nutty aroma to it. It got me high at least and the reclaim it made was really good actually. Closer to the reclaim after 1g oil has been dabbed over the course of a day or so. Not only myself. Others help lol.

Anyways for the first time in awhile I felt fairly mellow without weed on a T-Break. I only need a day if I want to get a sativa buzz back. For an indica stone I have to wait 3 days. No idea why it takes such a short time to get back to baseline, but Iā€™m not exactly complaining. A week max if Iā€™m stressed out and my body chemistry is out of whack. I feel every ache and pain stronger during high stress as I tend to tense up. I wish it was something I did on purpose, so I could stop tensing upšŸ¤”

I see this as a good sign that Iā€™m improving my mental health and itā€™s not just permahigh me thinking Iā€™m working through my issues. Itā€™s important to me, so I try to work through my psychoses when I can little by little. OCD is last on my list. It annoys me to no end, but itā€™s not losing me any friends. My mood swings and constant depression are my current issues Iā€™m working on. I just try to find out whatā€™s causing the emotional response and to work through it while Iā€™m not able to get upset. Sure itā€™s considered wasting a high to some, but it makes me a happier person. That and the more issues I work through the less I need when Iā€™m stressed to medicate.

This took me 3 hours on and off to type. Good hash :thinking: just not good for dabbing.

Since I took so long I took pics again.

And a lone flash on pic of the auto

I turned the fan more towards the plants as the air was getting a little stale with it pointed at the wall. It got relocated a bit after I had made the almost box last night. I wasnā€™t supposed to be gone as long as I was, so I never got around to making the box and also I completely forgot about doing that with all thatā€™s happened today.:man_facepalming:t2: At least the plants love the closer lights and higher amount of light from the enclosed area. The light used to go to the whole room and now the area around the plants is dim light at best and 2ā€™ away itā€™s dark enough for me to squint at things to see them. My eyes donā€™t adjust to low light well. It takes awhile and Iā€™m effectively blind until it happens.

Also I have a standard size 1 gallon tapered pot. Itā€™s actually 0.91 gallons with a standard taper pot. I donā€™t have it full, so Iā€™m looking at closer to 0.80 gallons of soil in that pot. Iā€™ll have to check my math and water only using 10% of the volume of soil.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Itā€™s 10.24, so I was in the right range at 10ozšŸ¤”

Well once itā€™s dry I know my watering amount to use. Iā€™ll spray the water on top to conserve water, so as not to have dry patches of soil almost immediately after watering

2 Likes

Looking Good! Looking Good!

2 Likes

I took a pic 5 hours ago. Iā€™m out now Shipping a Christmas present for my friend now, so I canā€™t take more

2 Likes

Tonightā€™s pics

I definitely need to water less. Iā€™ll take the 10oz every day easily. Every other watering or every water with nutes if itā€™s the top 2"?

5 Likes

Itā€™s up to you. I give mine a weekly dose split in half then only water. So 2 feeds, 1 water. Iā€™m sure everybody has a different method.

3 Likes

I know that, but Iā€™m more for whatā€™s best for the plants not my anxiety. I can suffer and live. They canā€™t. So far itā€™s been good though. I got some distilled water again. Iā€™ll test it when itā€™s watering day. Itā€™s safe to sit out at room temp and the plants would appreciate not having to deal with water thatā€™s too warm or cold even slightly. The nutes I mixed up the other day are still good this time and I canā€™t explain why. Theyā€™ve been in a everclear bottle with the cap on in the plant room. I usually have to toss anything I mix within a day or honestly about 10 hours. Itā€™s not getting direct light as the sorta box is swallowing a large portion of the light. The area itā€™s in is very dim, but well lit at the same time. Itā€™s passed the smell, pH, and even taste test. I canā€™t explain that at all. No complaining here, just trying to find out why so I can replicate it in the future

Sorry, Iā€™m confused. I thought you asked how often to add nutes. Maybe I didnā€™t understand your question

1 Like

Yes. I was wondering if there was a proper science to the nutrient profile. I was thinking there must be a general rule of thumb to follow to avoid deficiency or toxicity issues

1 Like

I just caught how I worded that. I had meant I know that everyone has their own method. I just see so many people using water every other water and Iā€™ve been told to a lot, but IDK if that was just to fix my screw up adding nutes before the cotyledon started to get eaten by the plant. I keep forgetting that cannabis isnā€™t like other plants in that regard. I have to be patient with my precious babies or theyā€™ll die from too much love. Iā€™ll make a small pot of herbs to grow. Itā€™ll let me grow some greens for a salad or something.

1 Like

That is the topic of my discussion here Theories on proper NPK cannabis ratios

Honestly, I fuss with my African Violets. They have a soilless mix so they need water supervision, if the light isnā€™t perfect they donā€™t bloom and they need feeding with every watering. If you get it right, they are instant gratification and continuously pop out flowers. I love them! Everything else, LITFA. lol

3 Likes

I like growing a edible garden TBH. Letā€™s me nibble on it if it grows out of control

2 Likes

Haha! :pig: Me too! :pig_nose: I just like doing it outside! Sunshine is great for my depression. :seedling::sunny:

2 Likes

Lights are on, so I snapped some pics. I finally put the fly trap in the room too. Better safe than sorry there.

5 Likes