Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

Odd. My instructions say to use distilled water specifically like it was good😅

Good to know though. Do you know why they test bad and if mixing nutes in even very small quantities would fix it or be just as confusing?

I rearranged the lights and plants when I saw the seedlings reaching. Though it was useful for getting some stretching on the 2 in fabric pots. It shows me I need to focus on a light next. The HPS brought a much stronger growth response with it, but it’s switch is broken now, so I’ll just get a LED instead. If I’m spending any more than 50 I’ll get a solstrip as anything above that Price range is close enough to it for me to not consider them over solstrips. I see such strong response that I’m sold @Baudelaire you have made a glorious essential growing light. Hopefully I won’t take that long to get the cash for one. Hell even 1 of the least expensive solstrips might end up doing better than my LEDs :sweat_smile:
Either way I tried to arrange them as best I could get them to stay for as close to maximum light as possible.

Diana

Zeke

Daisey

GSC

Indigo

Hardneck garlic

The bti are being used as fungi food. Mycorrhizae are forming on the surface. As they spread more I saw the growth of the garlic increase. Apparently a garlic friendly fungi is in my soil

2 Likes

I got the rope hangars. With the nylon straps I only needed 2 rope hangars to get it stable and secure.

It doesn’t seem right to me.
Can someone tell me why my ducting doesn’t fit? I had to secure it directly as the ducting included is just a hair too small. Even if I get it over it’ll slide off and I can’t get it over. It’s the exact same diameter and will tear if I try to stretch it🙄

2 Likes

https://www.vernier.com/til/1286/

2 Likes

Ah well. Either way they seem to respond much more positive to distilled over my tap water either way. I’m not mixing in any nutes until they show me they need it. Currently water only until I see Diana less dark green. I’m seeing signs of nitrogen toxicity rn or new growth resembles a claw.
Maybe the clover is adding more than she needs.

2 Likes

@OniTenshu, I only use distilled water myself. My babies seemed to enjoy it. The only problem I had was a magnesium deficiency for a week but I fixed that. Your grow is looking good bro! Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with distilled water. It is easy for the rhizosphere to adjust the pH.

2 Likes

Good to know☺️ I had hoped it wouldn’t be something that is good now and bad later. I was mostly assuming it was almost the same as ro water.

Installed the duct. Turned it on and holy crap is that some suction. I pulled my fan out when I saw the leaves fluttering about

2 Likes

Is that a genetic thing, the propensity to pre flower? Or is that something that is caused by amount or type of light? Like, if I see preflowering that early on my plants should I be concerned that I DID something or is it part of that plants makings?

1 Like

It’s an autoflower. It starts flower on average around 4 weeks from seed. Yes it’s genetic. Autos run on a timer and can’t last as long as photos

1 Like

ok, i knew you were running autos, or at least one of them. So its an auto characteristic and not photoperiod strains that show pre flowers early?

1 Like

sorry for the redundancy

1 Like

Autos are not photo period plants. They have a specific life schedule usually around 80 days or so total.

1 Like

Im up to speed now gentlemen, thanks. I just wanted to know if I should be looking for preflowers on mine or not but I am not running autos, so…appreciate the info

2 Likes

I was reading about companions for my veggies. Oregano was on the list of bug deterrents along with Nasturtiums although they vine and would probably overtake an mj plant

3 Likes

Marigold will help greatly.
Garlic for sulfur fixing and natural fungicide. Helps with gnats too.

Basil, mint, cilantro, and oregano should a help with aphids. Though from what I saw yesterday mint may actually be a sacrificial plant. My mother’s mint plants had a severe molybdenum deficiency it seemed as they were yellow, pink, and purplish. I looked closely and saw a lot of little whitefly bugs and some small more round green ones. She put them down the sink disposal immediately once I pointed out that it was spreading to her Jade plants.

As far as pests and deficiencies she’s trusting what I tell her. She loves her Jade plants, orchids, and spider plants more than anything.:sweat_smile:

Here’s this mornings update. I watered before I left for the day once they all started to show drooping symptoms. So far only Zeke appears to have been overwatered. They also appear to need some nitrogen soon as I’m seeing lime green growth all over.

Diana

Zeke

Daisey

GSC

Indigo

I raised the lights as well. The color wasn’t right at that height. The spot it’s in now seems to be even more intense than when it was lower. Almost washing out all shadows once the door was closed.

Time for some LITFA until I see what’s happening with Zeke. Diana also is having a odd leaf there too.

1 Like

Probably watering day tomorrow. The fabric pots are completely dry even close to the seedling, but until an hour ago the leaves on Zeke were still drooping. They seem to be growing new leaves though. Regardless it feels like I stunted them. The Rh can’t seem to get above 20%. I had the humidifier on low all day and night yesterday to keep the room alone. I closed all vents holes and mesh windows. I turned it back on high to try and increase humidity.

Diana

Zeke
Bad quality. Can’t see my screen when I take pics.

Daisey

GSC

Indigo

4 Likes

If anyone recommends I add some megacrop to the seedlings what dose should I give them? They’re looking a little light green to me. The smallest ones seem good, but Zeke and Daisey both seem a little light in color.

Unless someone agrees with me I’ll keep up with LITFA and distilled water. Next watering I’ll probably add some Epsom salts as only Diana has had some this grow and if my soil is mg deficient I’ll have to supplement every 2 weeks I believe @Meesh mentioned the other day.

Just waiting on noon for the regular half day pics. I’ve noticed that noon is when they finish drinking if applicable and the leaves seem to stay the same way until lights off when they rest and droop. Though that could be the pattern when I water too heavily. IDK, but I’m observing to see if a pattern emerged

2 Likes

Looks like they’ve been up for a couple weeks so they’re probably starting to get hungry. I’m not familiar with megacrop but I usually start feeding at 1/8-1/4 recommended strength with most nutes.

3 Likes