Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Wow, that’s like way above my comprehension level, lol! I’m thinking I’ll just go with my regular 6.2-6.5 input and cross my fingers, thanks again dude!:pray:

2 Likes

lots of great info @Dirt_Wizard Im running some testers from a breeder in 1 gallon pots w/ 1 tablespoon of 14-14-14 and 1 tablespoon of 15-9-12 picked up both from ace hardware with a nice coupon. There are 2 different strains the pics below & are from day 30 of flower.

)
Also running a Rainbow Guava Clone in 3 gallon day 35 flower

10 Likes

Don’t worry about it.

3 Likes

Have you done a soil analysis on the final mix, after it’s “mellowed” out in a container for a couple weeks? If not, I recommend Ward Labs.

UB

2 Likes

That’s what I do. It’s the best of both worlds.

UB

2 Likes

The table tells me that n is easily stored in leafs more so than p and k
And as they are not as mobile as n they need to be topped up and regular in feeding , same as toppin up mothers with p and k a week before takin cuts so cuts not starting of too low in them
ie if using grow for veg stage for 4w it’s best to give a few feeds of bloom to top p and k up in plant
Osmocote probably works well outside in ground a n leaches gradually away into ground but in Pots not as much as n will remain higher kind off unless regular and good runoff
: )

1 Like

That thesis I posted a few up is pretty great, I’m still digesting it bit by bit but the premise is that NASA paid for the research at Utah State, supervised by Dr Bugbee, as part of their research on growing plants in space or on future colonies. He studied the optimization of using a ceramic (calcined clay) media like Turface which is what they already use in space, with polymer coated controlled-release fertilizers in a zero-runoff system that maintained a centimeter of water table at the bottom of the containers, with a peat/vermiculite mix control group as well. It’s pretty huge but I pulled a few interesting graphs and the table of contents for the other figures and charts for folks to browse more easily (including myself!):

8 Likes

Fantastic string of interesting information here!

Going to have to revisit all this weekend :nerd_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have not yet! I was thinking to save a sample of my dirt from the garden mix and also from the cannabis pot I topdressed with some Osmo that needs testing as well. Our local university has a very good soil lab but I haven’t used it yet since moving here.

Man…I’m a facts/data guy…but I got a fucking TILT from reading this thread :nerd_face: :rofl:

I’m behind this year due to going back to work (long story), but getting ready to harden off some babies and get them out in soil. I’ll be doing a few in containers, so good chance to test out the Osmo vs Fish in a side by side.
I like the “set it and forget it” aspects of it. My beds get covered with wood ash during the winter from cleaning the wood stove…so I think I’m going to do a soil test if I can find the time.
Right now I’m just trying to find the time to plant something.

2 Likes

I here ya about being busy.

If you’ve been dumping wood ashes where you’re going to plant then you need a soil test. K locks out nutrients like Ca and N. Ward Labs is who I do biz with. Cheap too. Send in a water sample while you’re at it just for grins.

2 Likes

That bag is till there haha. Guess a little goes a long way.

2 Likes

isn’t the potassium mostly tied up in salts? If I had to guess I’d say the rains over winter would be enough to leach out any excess. At least here in cali, we had an extremely wet winter this year

Only one way to find out - lab test.

1 Like

These gals still going? Looks like this stuff works great. Did you top dress at all or hit them with anything else or just water?

2 Likes

No top dressing at all. in veg maybe every 3rd watering hit them with aloe water rather than pure water and in flower same thing with coconut water. If i ever had a super hard dry back id hit with microbes (maybe every 2-3 weeks or so if that). Took them 65 days and harvested last saturday everything is hanging to dry currently. These pics are from around day 60.

10 Likes

Looks like they came out great. I’m gonna have to give this a try for my next round of plants and some outdoors.

@Thats_bank they’re making a believer out of me lol

1 Like

I used to use osmocoat, still have little plastic hulls all over my outdoors garden 25 years later… the plastic coating just doesn’t degrade. And sadly the high level of N is majority Ammoniacal and that can also cause issues if it leaches into the environment

But I quit using ferts with high ammoniacal content as they have been shown to decrease yield, terpenoids, and THC levels in cannabis and Osmocoat is over 50% ammoniacal NH4 which has also been noted as causing late term toxicity in cannabis plants.

3 Likes

My greenhouse is loving it. Figs, quinces, strawberries, blackberries and lemon. All so very happy. I think I’ll try to bonsai a clone I have.

Good stuff.

5 Likes

Nice!

Everything loves it. My greenhouse tropical trees are going nuts. Got 500 oranges off 2 trees, most are grafts I did on a key lime tree, 255 Meyer lemons off one tree, am harvesting avocados now, pitaya, etc.

Pitaya (dragon fruit) flower. Is 8-10" across.

My curing re-vegged Lapis Mtn. indica is pure goo. Can’t wait to taste it.You need to grow some mangos. Look for the Zill varieties like Fruit Punch, Sweet Tart, Lemon Merinque, Pineapple Pleasure. Pickering is a productive small tree with excellent fruit that has a background of coconut. These are eyes closed, eat over the sink OMG fruit.

Uncle Ben

5 Likes