Rock wool for acoustic treatment can be used for cultivation?

lol, i bought to make an studio but and cut some piece to make de experiment… mad scientist spirit in action :stuck_out_tongue:

i will keep this post is actualized… thanks for the contribution! CYA

5 Likes

I was thinking of using Styrofoam beads instead of perlite but the damn stuff is so attracted to me I look like a snowman. :laughing:

6 Likes

KKKKKKK the problem of styrofoam is not absorb water. i dont know if is a great substitute for the perlite

1 Like

More of a joke than anything. I hate getting the stuff all over me.

3 Likes

Update:

I put one of my plants in that rock wool on aeroponic system and it seens healthy.

growing the plant and the roots…

i passed more one to a vase with only rockwool and will simulate the top feed hidro system, to see how the roots will develop in that media.

i will send pics here when they wake up.

3 Likes

here is the one on the low pressure aeroponic system

and this another one i’ve passed to a vase and giving water 3 times at day (manual top feed for while) with only rockwool and the perlite on the top is just to be more beauty.
They looking healthy…

you guys can follow my diary here and see how this two beatifull plants will be grow in this media.

2 Likes

Go to car scrap yard and get a clean dry car back seat ’ strip the foam of it ( get serrated blade like bread knife or go fancy with electric carving knife if wife OK’s it , mine didn’t lol )
Dice foam into 2 cm square pieces , and add to mix 20-25 % ( after turning Rockwool into chunks also )

Now it’s Mapito : )
More air in the mix , and foam dosnt take up valuable root space , roots love growing threw the foam

Flood and drain , once every three days ( simple )
Veg 5.6 ph Then after stretch and when buds start to appear ph to 5.8 and also change to bloom feed : )

Veg 1/1/1 type ratio ( total ) in feed
Stretch 2/1/1 type ratio ( total ) in feed
W3-W5 1/3/3 total in feed
W6-w8 1/4/4 total in feed
W8 -W10 lower ec and total 1/2/6 ish or close
Chop : )

2 Likes

@ifish Hey my friend, thanks for reply!

English isnt my native language, can u explain a little bit that last part of your comment ? I cant understand and i’m a little bit confused but really want to know what you trying to pass :stuck_out_tongue:

and i already get a car seat foam :stuck_out_tongue: and diced the rockwooll in squares too… i put it on water one day ago and i will let it there for more 2 days to clean, later i will dry it.

2 Likes

In veg I feed total 1/1/1 in Rez

My tap water is very soft close to RO , very little stuff in it

Example , I use canna calmag agent ( high n in this calmag ) then I add my base feed which is a complete ( full of all elements iron zinc etc )
The high n in the calmag mixed with the 1/2/2 , creates/ makes my total in feed close to 1/1/1 , great for veg as it lacks nothing , nice balanced feed
If your total n in veg is high for too long say 4-6 weeks like in normal veg feed then a p and or k def shall show , 1/1/1 is what to get total close to

In stretch w1and w2 after switch to 12/12 , I use canna calmag ( high n ) and I add 1/1/1 , this makes close to 2/1/1 in total in feed , high n is good in stretch as n for stem and leaf and what is left over is stored in leafs as back up in flower

W3 when buds start to appear I switch feed to bloom
I use vitalink calmag , lower in n and mix 1/3/3 with it to stay / get close to 1/3/3
P and k for budding

In w5 I then top up Rez with pk , on top of w3/4 feed to make 1/4/4

At week 8 I want to lower p now too , as p and k is for budding and if I lower p then plant gets signal to stop budding and ripen and finish ( vita calmag and 1/2/6 plus lower ec ) as k is now on own plant will be forced / pushed to ripen as plant needs p and k togeater to make buds , so less foxtailing and finishes quicker

4 Likes

Wow! Classes dude! I think a get it… The nutrition still a subject which i need invest more energy and focus! thanks for the contribution… For now i’m using the GH kit for nutrition and looking they chart to feed my sweeties… but i need to understand more consistently what i put on my babies.

Thanks for the tip… when i finish my “Mapito” i will transfer one of my plants to make a experiment. I will update at my diary <3

thanks for contributing <3

2 Likes

Happy I helped : )

Any questions I be glad to answer

All dense bud , little leaf and terps thru the roof in that feed shedual : ) say good bye to trim jail and see the plant the best it can be

STB!

6 Likes

Those ratios are really pushing hard in right direction , ( what plant needs in each stage , no confusion ) so a lower ec is required

My tap is less than 0.1 ec

Total in veg 0.8 / 0.9 ec
Stretch 1.0/1.1 ec
W3 /w4 1.2 / 1.3 ec
W5-w8 1.4 /1.5 ec
W9 till finish 1.1 - 0.9
Chop

For an 11 ish week strain

I am uk , I use elixir soluable fertilisers very cheap and highly concentrated , good value : )

20/20/20 ( same as 1/1/1 just more concentrated )
10/50/10 plus 6/12/36 = 1/3/3 ish
And chempak number 8 I think is my 1/2/2 ( forget ratio but it’s high numbers and also cheap )

4 Likes

Thats a beautyfull Top, @ifish !!!
Goood work, Buddy

2 Likes

Thanks @saxo , wish I could smoke some with you in your pipe , we would have a blast : )

1 Like

Update:

The plant wich i put on rock wool get rootted well!

I making a new experiment with that rock wool and acustic foam (that one what we use in studios to acustic treatment). (trying to do something like Mapito)… i did put one of my plants there… lets see how it will grow in the next days;

trying to create something like “Mapito”, just like @ifish told, but instead use car foam, i’m using acustic foam, that one wich we use on studios…

2 Likes

oh, its good to say:

i put that argile to keep the rockwool off the light… i did have some trouble on this experiment with mold … i washed with water and a little of H2O2 to kill it and put the argile to keep it dark but aired.

did the same on my netpots on the aeroponic system.

Is that open cell foam , or closed cell foam , can you suck and blow through it / breath through it ?

2 Likes

I would bet that insulation type rockwool is not food grade and probably has unwanted chemicals in it. It would not necessarily affect the growth of the plant negatively, but the plant would become unhealthy to consume. Also, cultivation grade rockwool is relatively cheap, if it is more expensive that insulation rockwool, then that would be because it HAS to be made as it is made.

i think the grow Rockwool is rinsed more that’s all ie less chalk lime making it more stable for growing straight from the bag although it still needs a soak and good flush

@ifish Yes, its open cell… we can blow through it.

@zem its not about be more expensive or no… i just had a lot of this rockwool and i’m not using so just i want to try it.

i let the rockwool 3 days in water to “clean it”… its just a experiment… lets see how will be the end of this history :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like