SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

I do believe that refers to flower time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, flower period, 12/12, etc.

2 Likes

I just looked back through the pics I have and the stretch has dramatically slowed down over the last three days or so. Looks like a pretty good rule of thumb to me :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

What size is that box?
Been looking at light upgrades. Thinking about these but it’s looking pretty expensive to cover my space properly…

If you are comparing costs to other quality LED’s, then Solstrips are the best deal out there. There are cheaper options for LED’s but they are far less quality.

1 Like

Hey @Dewb

My cab is 2’x3’x3’
My lighting is 10x SolStrips @ 3500k temp, i’m running them at 320w

My build thread is here!
My grow thread is here!

They work very well. :slight_smile: I could have gotten by with less strips in my space, but I was planning for the future.
Total light cost the way I did mine was right around 400$.

3 Likes

I’m looking to replace 2 600w hps in a 5’ x 4’ space…
Not concerned about wattage/power usage, I’d run 1200w of led if I can afford it…tired of running air cooled, I want to run a sealed room, and the little leaks in hoods etc prevent that.

1 Like

If you have real good air movement 10 strips paired with a meanwell hlg-480h-24a turned down to about 450w would do everything a 600 hps would imo.

3 Likes

Happy days, Just purchased myself 8 SolStix and a driver :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looking forward to the build and run.

99%

It will only be for Mothers and clones but I will be sure to put pictures of my new system in action (flood and drain/ aeroponics if that is a real thing) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Pedro_Bann Glad I could help ease your mind. You already had everything figured out, you just wanted a second opinion lol. Luckily I don’t sleep and seem to always be around lol.

3 Likes

Thanks buddy my mind is at ease, now I just have to sweet talk the wife…

3 Likes

Be sure to hide that proverbial trigger you mentioned haha. Best of luck friend!

1 Like

Learn to make the Green Dragon from @ReikoX’s kitchen.

It helps me regulate my sleep well.

PS I remember, you have some straight time before you can indulge again. When you can…

3 Likes

I was going to ask how that turned out for you. Tincture is great medicine IME.

3 Likes

Really works well for me.

I will have to make a bunch more.

Really works well for my friends too.

99%

3 Likes

It’s really sad, pills that kill you are legal, but I can’t have a natural product that doesn’t make me have panic attacks before it makes me pass out.

I don’t like the ambien walrus,

Opiates back me up and give me the sweats,

But a gift from Mother Nature that helps with all my problems is illegal.

What a sick twisted society we are forced to live in.

10 Likes

How Many SolStrips for My Space?

The most common question gardeners have when considering a SolStrip system is, how much light do they need for their space? Because LEDs are so much more efficient than high-intensity discharge (HID) and florescent lights, the traditional rules of thumb for light intensity, expressed in watts per square foot, aren’t applicable to SolStrip systems.

Current state-of-the-art white LEDs are up to 50% more efficient than HID lamps such as metal halide and high-pressure sodium lights. That huge boost in efficiency not only means more light per watt consumed, but also less heat given off by the lamp. SolStrips leverage that efficiency further with distributed diode technology, which spreads the light emitters, and the heat, across a much larger area than HID lamps or even COB lights.

Together that means that SolStrip lamp systems deliver more light per watt and can be placed much closer to the canopy, where they will deliver that light much more evenly and coolly than HID lamps. All of these factors must be considered when estimating light needs using SolStrips.

Rule of Thumb: 35 Watts/s.f. Veg/Bloom

The rule of thumb you should use when planning a SolStrip system is 20-30 watts of light per s.f. for vegetative spaces, and 30-40 watts per s.f. for bloom spaces. For a mixed veg/bloom space use 35 w/s.f. These are fairly broad ranges admittedly, but be wary of operating outside of them. Below 20 w/s.f. will result in stretching and thinning of vegetation; above 40 w/s.f. can lead to bleaching and die-off of tops.

This rule of thumb presumes several conditions:

• The watt total is operating watts, not potential watts. SolStrip X2’s have the potential to deliver 48 watts of light per strip, but most gardeners will operate them softer in the 33-42 watt range. Use the operating wattage for your calculations.

• The light system will be positioned 12” above the canopy. The physics of light means that its strength decreases exponentially with increasing distance. Positioning your lights 18” above the canopy will only give you 50% of the intensity of the same lights at 12”, at 24” your lights with deliver only 25% of the intensity at 12”. Conversely, positioning your light 6” above the canopy (very possible due to SolStrips’ very low heat) will double your light intensity from 12”.

• The light system will be designed to distribute the SolStrips evenly across the growing space. SolStrip LEDs emit light in vertical cone of about 120 degrees. No light is wasted as in HIDs by being sprayed in a 360 degree pattern that must be reflected back onto the canopy, with all the waste and weakening of intensity that results. But that means SolStrips must be aimed directly at the canopy from directly above.

Practically speaking, that means you can estimate coverage for SolStrip systems as below, using 30 w/s.f. and running your system at 100% of potential output:

• SolSheet Original: 5 s.f., with a 36” x 20” footprint.

• SolSheet X: 8 s.f., with a 42” x 28” footprint.

• SolStix array of 6 strips: 10 s.f., with a 52” x 28” footprint.

These are guidelines only. If you plan to run your lights softer, or higher than 12”, you’ll need to account for that in your estimate. For those willing to do a little math, there are better measures of photonic energy, i.e., light, that will deliver more accurate calculations based on values such as PAR and PPFD. We will explore those in a future post. But for basic planning in a typical indoor gardening space you can use these calculations with confidence.

-b420

6 Likes

SolStix X1 Close-out Sale - $25.99 while they last

We are down to our last 16 SolStix X1s, so we offering them at a discount to clear them out now that we are fully stocked with the X2 strips and heatsinks.

Thought you all should be the first to know - they won’t last long: SolStix X1 Sale

The X1s are fully compatible with X2s, so don’t be afraid of mixing and matching. No 3500K strips in the X1 format left, but you can easily create custom 3467K or 3850K spectrums using the 2700K and 5000K strips in 2:1 or 1:1 ratios, respectively.

UPDATE: Just added the Cree 450/665nm red/blue strips to the SolStix sale. $49.99, $10 less than the regular price of the red/blue strip alone. Just 3 in stock.

-b420

4 Likes