SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

I’ve got my strips running at 32w each, for a total of 320w. I’ve got colas 4" away and am not experiencing any light burn. Most of the canopy is about 6-8" away and doing fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here are some pics of the frame and strips - including my booboo with the wire connectors. I forgot to take any during assembly - sorry!

9 Likes

Thanks! I will crank mine up then :slight_smile:

Ive done several hours of testing and I think my DIY heatsinks will be fine.

Here are the results from the initial testing with the fixture just sitting, leaned up against my workbench with no fan. Ambient at the time was 72 F/22C. These are the highest readings taken from several places on the face of the strips. The heatsinks measured anywhere from 2C to 10C deg cooler depending on where I measured it.
150W = 37C / 97F
175w = 40C / 104F
200w = 43C / 108F
250w = 48C / 118F

I didn’t actually test it, but it looks like I could run at the max recommended wattage (48wx6=288w total) and probably be right at the max temp even with no fan.

Oh, I should note that I had a silly idea while I was assembling the frame. I have several left over sticks of that small ¾”x3/4” U channel that I used to build the frame. It occurred to me that I could try a redneck heatsink mod by bolting a piece of that on the back side using the solstrip mounting bolts and some more heatsink paste. They don’t really add all that many sq inches of cooling area, and they are probably not that efficient, but what the heck – I had the stuff on hand and it wasn’t much trouble to add. You can sort of see the details in the pics I posted above.

Ok, with the fan and fixture mounted and the fan on low, I am good to go with a large margin of safety as far as temps. It ran this morning for several hours at 42 watts/strip = 250 watts total and the highest temp on any of the strips was 33C / 91F. At 200 watts total, it drops to 27C / 81F. I was pleased that even the ends of the strips that are not directly under the fan were only running about 1 deg warmer.

That’s with an internal temp of 24C / 75F – which is down from my old average of 27C-29C 81F-85Fwith the CFL lights on. I also had to turn off the small in-line fan I have that was blowing outside cool air into the tent. The main exhaust fan is still pulling outside air in, but its no longer being forced in.

One other note – I would recommend that folks use larger wire than I did for the power run between the driver and the fixture. I used 16ga and I have a little over one full volt drop between the driver and the solstrips at 250 watts. I have extra wire in the run now (about 10 ft total) because I may want to relocate the driver later. But that’s still more drop than I Like. At roughly 10 amps total draw, that’s 10 watts being lost as heat in the wiring. That’s a lot. Once I have everything where its going to stay, I plan to go up to 12 ga for the main run.

Over all, Im very pleased with how this is working out.

Oh, here is a shot of the power readings with both pots at minimum.

4 Likes

How big an area are you using for that 320 watt setup?

First post of my 2x3 cab. 6sqFt

The link above tells everything but that was my build thread. :slight_smile: around 53w per square foot, way more than I need.

1 Like

I’m not sure what mine are running at, I know it’s not full power.

I have it 12" above the canopy and in an open room they are not even getting that warm and the driver is running even cooler. So far the plants seem to like it.

6 Likes

hi just wanted to ask a question, with four strips the Mean Well HLG 185w would be the right driver? and the aluminum end pieces pretty easy to find at a hardware store?

1 Like

Your local hardware store or Lowes, HomeDepot, many larger lumber yards, farm supply, etc should have a section with aluminum angle, flat stock and C channel of various sizes and lengths. You wont need much if your using the SolStick heatsinks, but there are also metal recycling and scrap yards where you can buy stuff a little cheaper. Thats where I got my aluminum stock.

Yes, the 185 should be perfect for 4 strips running at just under 200 watts total.

1 Like

Just an up-date. Ive been running my 6 solstrips on a 20/4 schedule, at the max level @Baudelaire recommends - 48watts ea = 288 watts total - since last Sunday, and they are running nice and cool with the fans on - no more than 35C / 95F. Temperature control in the tent is so much better now. Its still early, but I think the babies like it better too :slight_smile:

One interesting note. I had the lights down to within about 12" of the canopy and I thought I was maybe getting a bit of light burn, so I raised the lights up to about 18". Shortly after that, I noticed the temp in the tent was running at least 3 to 4 deg C cooler on average. I was trying to figure that out when I finally noticed my temp probe had moved under a large fan leaf and was no in the direct light from the fixture. After a bit of playing around, I discovered that having the probe (black plastic) directly in the light causes it to read high by at least 2 to 3 deg depending on how far away the fixture is.

2 Likes

Great, glad to hear everything is running well. I think after your initial burn-in, you’ll find a sweet spot running them in the 36-42w/sf range, at 8-16" above the canopy.

-b420

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I turned it down and lowered it. I’ll let you know how the ladies like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

After more careful checking, I think I am getting wind burn rather than light burn. My fan was just moving toooo much air. So I reduced the air flow by blocking the intake side of the fan and we will see how that does.

1 Like

Could that be nute splash?

I dont think so. I havent been feeding them hardly at all, and this started several days after the last feeding. Im very careful about not getting nutes on the plants when I do feed. I do spray the leaves lightly with a fine mist of the PH’ed water.

Will you be ordering some 4000k from your supplier also? And I was wondering why you don’t stock any 6500k.

1 Like

We do not plan on carrying 4000K strips, as the 3500K strips are very close to the 4000K strips, and a 4000K CCT can be built using a combination of 2700K and 5000K strips:

2x 3500K + 1x 5000K= 4000K
3x 2700K + 3x 5000K= 3820K
2x 2700K + 3x 5000K= 4080K
2x 2700K +4x 5000K= 4230K

Of course, if more people want 4000K, we will reintroduce it. As for 6500K, we can produce any CCT in the Samsung LM561 line on a custom basis, with a minimum order of 25 strips and 30 days lead time.

3 Likes

Introducing the SolStrip X2 strip

I am excited to introduce the next generation of SolStrips, the X2-400. The X2 takes the best of the original X1 strip and improves on it. It is both thinner and heavier than the X1, providing better performance and cooling in a slimmer profile. The strip’s circuitry and PCB have been completely redesigned with a thicker copper core and traces to power the diodes with less resistance and heat buildup.

With the new improvements the X2 remains compatible with X1 strips and strip installations, using the same Samsung diodes, operating specs and 400mm length as its predecessor, and can be used interchangeably with X1 strips.

Along with the X2 roll-out, we are introducing an X2-compatible SolSink custom heatsink. Like the X1 SolSink, this heatsink includes custom tapped mounting holes to mount SolStrip X2 strips and to mount the strips and sinks to aluminum L-channel to create your own SolStix racks. We stepped up the game here too, and had them anodized black to improve heat dispersion even more and give them a handsome sleek look.

While the improvements come at some expense, our pricing remains the same as the X1 strips. We will continue to offer the X1 strips and heatsinks in 2700K and 5000K until our stock runs out, so if you’d like to fill out that X1 system with a few more strips please contact me soon or go to Solstrip.com and complete your order (we have less than two dozen of either CCT left.)

Stay tuned for more SolStrip product innovations to come soon from Photon Solutions. We have several ideas in the hopper to improve your options for the best value LED garden lighting in the market today.

-b420

10 Likes

I saw those on the website today and was wondering the differences. I’m finally going to finish my X1 unit :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Damn I guess I have an excuse to spend some more money with you soon lol, those look great and I really like the pcb improvements you mentioned!

Looks like sometime in march I’ll be ordering another 10 strips/sinks!

If I wanted to evenly light say a 4x4 area should I go with 20x strips? I’m thinking if I build my second array exactly like my first I can get 640w total in a 4x4 area.

3 Likes