SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

Will you be ordering some 4000k from your supplier also? And I was wondering why you don’t stock any 6500k.

1 Like

We do not plan on carrying 4000K strips, as the 3500K strips are very close to the 4000K strips, and a 4000K CCT can be built using a combination of 2700K and 5000K strips:

2x 3500K + 1x 5000K= 4000K
3x 2700K + 3x 5000K= 3820K
2x 2700K + 3x 5000K= 4080K
2x 2700K +4x 5000K= 4230K

Of course, if more people want 4000K, we will reintroduce it. As for 6500K, we can produce any CCT in the Samsung LM561 line on a custom basis, with a minimum order of 25 strips and 30 days lead time.

3 Likes

Introducing the SolStrip X2 strip

I am excited to introduce the next generation of SolStrips, the X2-400. The X2 takes the best of the original X1 strip and improves on it. It is both thinner and heavier than the X1, providing better performance and cooling in a slimmer profile. The strip’s circuitry and PCB have been completely redesigned with a thicker copper core and traces to power the diodes with less resistance and heat buildup.

With the new improvements the X2 remains compatible with X1 strips and strip installations, using the same Samsung diodes, operating specs and 400mm length as its predecessor, and can be used interchangeably with X1 strips.

Along with the X2 roll-out, we are introducing an X2-compatible SolSink custom heatsink. Like the X1 SolSink, this heatsink includes custom tapped mounting holes to mount SolStrip X2 strips and to mount the strips and sinks to aluminum L-channel to create your own SolStix racks. We stepped up the game here too, and had them anodized black to improve heat dispersion even more and give them a handsome sleek look.

While the improvements come at some expense, our pricing remains the same as the X1 strips. We will continue to offer the X1 strips and heatsinks in 2700K and 5000K until our stock runs out, so if you’d like to fill out that X1 system with a few more strips please contact me soon or go to Solstrip.com and complete your order (we have less than two dozen of either CCT left.)

Stay tuned for more SolStrip product innovations to come soon from Photon Solutions. We have several ideas in the hopper to improve your options for the best value LED garden lighting in the market today.

-b420

10 Likes

I saw those on the website today and was wondering the differences. I’m finally going to finish my X1 unit :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Damn I guess I have an excuse to spend some more money with you soon lol, those look great and I really like the pcb improvements you mentioned!

Looks like sometime in march I’ll be ordering another 10 strips/sinks!

If I wanted to evenly light say a 4x4 area should I go with 20x strips? I’m thinking if I build my second array exactly like my first I can get 640w total in a 4x4 area.

3 Likes

Growmau5 says that 600-watts of efficient LED should be equivalent to a 1000-watt HPS. These are some of the most efficient diodes on the market. I would love to see it!

3 Likes

That would give you 40 w/sf, running the strips at semi-soft 32 watts. Sounds perfect. -b420

1 Like

Note on International Shipping Rates

We are getting tremendous interest from LED gardeners around the globe! I’ve fielded orders from New Zealand, Russia, Romania, Sweden, Germany and Czech Republic in the past week. Our shipping software at SolStrip.com doesn’t always calculate international rates correctly for countries outside of the US, Australia and Europe, sometimes quoting crazy costs. Please don’t let it deter you. I am happy to create a custom invoice for anyone with the best possible shipping rates. Just message me at sales@solstrip.com with your order and complete delivery address.

Typical shipping costs:
3-8 Solstrips, to all Europe and Russia $25
3-8 SolStix, to all Europe and Russia $50
1-2 SolSheets, assembled lamps or full kits, to Canada $40
2 SolSheetX basic kits, to all Europe, Australia and New Zealand $60

6 Likes

I was wondering if you had any successful grows with the sol strips or the Samsung LM561c diodes and if so what color temperatures do you recommend for each growth stage? My idea is to use a 2700k and 6500k dual spectrum grow; with 80% 6500k and 20% 2700k for veg. Then for flower I’ll use 80% 2700k and 20% 6500k. And then I was thinking that if I could supplement each stage with a small amount of 4000k lights too I would be giving a sort of triple spectrum. Is this a good idea? Or would the 4000k be pointless with that setup?

2 Likes

I think that everybody here are buying the 3500K strips. They are ideal for veg and flower. For the whole cycle :slight_smile: It has ideal ratio in wave lenghts so you will turn it on for your seeds and turning off when you finish flowering :slight_smile: easy like that. Depends om what you want :slight_smile: If whole cycle then 3500 is ideal :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Fisch is basically correct, 3500K is a great spectrum for veg through bloom. But I’ve seen very good results with 4000K (similar to MH) and 2700K (which mimics an HPS spectrum).
We offer SolStrips in 2700K, 3500K and 5000K spectrums because each will veg, bloom or veg and bloom cannabis very well on their own, or can be combined to build custom spectrums tuned to the specific grower’s needs.

Remember that CCT is a weighted average metric, not a specific wavelength. So 50% 3000K and 50% 4000K equals 3500K. That said, there’s growing reports and some research suggesting that a mix of CCT diodes may accentuate some wavelengths at the deep blue and deep red ends of the spectrum, due to the unique behavior of phosphor-coated diodes in those ranges.

I haven’t thought of stocking SolStrips in 6500K, but happy to consider it if folks want it, or quote a 25-piece minimum custom order.

-b420

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. I was also thinking that there are further blues on the 6500k that wouldn’t be on the other color temperatures. I tend to lean towards the idea that the higher color temperature would create a more full spectrum of the blue light. I would be interested in getting a few of the 6500k but probably don’t need 25 of them right now.

Welcome to OG @Nattyz! Ha! Ha! That rhymes! :grin:

Thanks @ryasco!

@Baudelaire, I was wondering have you tried making a solsheet with 5 solstrips instead of just 3? Or would 5 be unnecessary and cause too much heat?

1 Like

There is 250w version of solsheets on the websites. 5 solstrips 45000lumens :slight_smile: for 200bucks I think.

Ok I see why I missed it; It looks like the picture for the solsheet X on the website only has 3 sol strips on it.

1 Like

Need to get a pic of the 5-sheet X size up, they keep getting sold before I can get the camera out…
You can stuff as many SolStrips as will fit into a half-sheet pan, but remember that the pan is also the main heat dispersion device, not just the housing. Half-sheet pans will max out on their heatsinking at around 120w without additional passive sinking or active cooling. So, 5-strips run very softly (500mA) would work, but I’d recommend using a full-size pan, with twice the aluminum, for 5-strip systems.

I do offer fitted and tapped heatsinks to augment the cooling on SolStrip builds. For cheap “stick on” solutions, these smaller sinks are available on Ebay.

I see you mount the SolStrips to sheet pans, but what’s the heat like vs using an extruded heatsink?

Would an effective compromise be to use precut 11 guage aluminum sheets? It’s a bit cheaper than an extruded heatsink, and a little sturdier than a baking sheet.

Also, do you use or recommend thermal interface material between the PCB and the heatsink?

I would highly recommend you use thermal paste. If you dont, you run a higher risk of hot spots/uneven cooling if your alum sheet is warped or bent, etc. Even if its “flat” its never going to be perfect, so the thermal paste helps a bunch in cooling and its not that expensive.

2 Likes

It seems to me you’re better off having it than not, just as insurance, but HLG claims “no thermal interface required” for QBs. That always sounded a bit sketchy when they’re driving 304 diodes on 2 mm of PCB.