SolStrip LED lighting: Product info and announcements

I like the rack style as it allows for good vertical air flow. I doubt there is a lot of light that needs a reflector as these LEDs are well aimed and spread out.

3 Likes

One of the great things about LEDs is they send all the light down, in a 120 degree cone in the case of SolStrips. No loss from bouncing 70% of the photons off a reflector before sending them towards a leaf…

I really like the SolStix racks as well, for their function=form simplicity.

-b420

3 Likes

So designer says not enough room for double-pole connector but can add another connector to the end of the strip, so there would be single-pole connector +/- at each end. Would that help with the wiring of the racks as well as your suggestion?

5 Likes

Introducing the new Red/Blue SolStrip X2 strip

After a three-month research and development process, I’m proud to announce the offering of our new deep red and blue mono diode SolStrip X2. This strip will fill in the far ends of your growroom spectrum where white LEDs lose some intensity, or allow you to boost late flower intensity, or create sunrise/sunset cycles.

And the best news: By switching from Cree XPE’s to an up-and-coming Taiwanese competitor with even better specs, we can offer it at 35% less than our previous X1 red/blue strip. More on this great new addition to the SolStrip line at the Photonics blog.

-b420

13 Likes

That would be perfect if there is a double + at one end and a double - at the other end.

Then there would be no soldering or Wago type connectors needed.

1 Like

There is a 10 percent chance that it will be rewired with solder joints later…

some zip tie magic until i get a couple more rope ratchets.

anyhoo it is lighting my 2x4 mother and clone flood tray at 220 watts (27.5w per square foot).

10 Likes

Introducing the SolStrip X3: Dual-Band COB Killer

We are excited to introduce the next addition to the SolStrip line of LED grow strips: the X3.

The X3 is our first dual-band strip, offering 96 Samsung LM561C diodes in deep red-rich 2700K, set with 48 diodes of blue-soaked 5700K, together on a 72 watt, 3-row strip. While yielding a blended color temperature of 3700K, the spectral output features growth-charging spikes in the deep red and deep blue wavelengths.

The X3 also benefits from the higher efficiency of the 5700K chips, which helps the X3 deliver over 14,000 lumens/sq.meter a 12” at efficiency rates of up to 212 lumens/watt.

But dual-band may not even be the best feature of the X3. Like many of you, we at Photon Solutions started our LED DIY journey with COBs. We have lots of COB-based lights, and still use them. We have a lot of time and money invested in drivers and heat sinks used in our COB lights. We like our COBs, but we like LED strips more. With the X3, we can have both.

Because the X3 has a total of 144 Samsung diodes, it operates at 36 volts, the most common voltage for popular COBs made by Cree, Bridgelux, Citizen and many others. Which means all of your COB equipment can be used with the X3 strips, making retrofits and repurposing of your COB lamps a snap.

And with an operating current range of 1000-2400 mA, the X3 will work comfortably alongside COBs of a similar wattage in mixed lighting arrays, offering a whole new realm of interesting lighting array possibilities for the DIYer.

Have a Timber COB rack with a couple of low-light spots? Add a couple of X3s to the array to even everything out.

Have a six-foot, 30-pound aluminum heatsink you paid $200 for and would really like to use for something other than a boat anchor? Re-deploy it with X3s and your old driver.

COB killer, or COB lover? It’s up to you.

For micro-growers, the X3 offers the ability to bring cutting-edge LED strips into cabinet, space bucket and PC case projects using cheap and widely available candy-bar drivers that can be had for less than $10. Think about a 225 watt space bucket with even top-to-bottom lighting and no bleaching or hot spots, for under $150.

X3 SolStix too

We’ve paired the SolStrip X3 with its own pre-tapped SolSink, making X3 SolStix rack builds as simple as with the X2 strips - just add one-inch angle aluminum rails and go. We’ve anodized them in a snazzy red to celebrate the launch.

There’s more information, specifics and pictures on the X3 product page.

Will the dual-band output improve quality and production over basic single-temperature systems? It remains to be seen, but I think dual-band may have significant advantages in both efficiency and spectral quality for horticultural applications. More laboratory and real-world testing is needed before we will know for sure.

What is clear is that poly-spectral LED systems, where control over spectral definition and intensity is entirely in the hands of the grower, is the future of LED grow light technology. That is why we are focused on creating modular, interchangeable LED strip components like the X2 and X3 SolStrips and SolStix, so that our customers can have the tools to design and control their lighting environments to suit their specific needs and growing styles.

-b420

19 Likes

Very nice additions to the lineup!

2 Likes

You wasn’t lying when you said you had something special lined up were you. Looks like cola will be building himself a new fixture before long.

2 Likes

I am a total newbie, but learning so much before I start my first venture into growing.
Here’s my plan so far:

3’Wx5’Lx8’H Grow space
RDWC
SCROG

I’ve got a pretty good plan (I think) for everything except the lights. I’ve been looking at a lot of different options and I’m close to pulling the trigger on (12) SolStix X3. I could use a little feedback on the layout and especially the drivers. I would like to get the “B” style drivers so I can add a remote dimmer if I want.
I’m kind of stuck at matching the drivers. I’m thinking (2) HLG-320-24-B drivers. Here’s my basic layout.

7 Likes

@bisceg

I would go with the HLG-480h-24b since it’s got two outputs. 6 strips per output. Only one driver :slight_smile:

Edit: never mind I see you have selected the X3 strips. Those need 36v drivers!

Either two hlg-320h-36b
Or one hlg-600h-36b (dual output)

3 Likes

Thanks Jellypowered! I’m glad you caught that because I was just going by the drivers they offered on their website. I can see in the details that the X3 needs 36V, but I probably would have missed it.

I’m thinking I would go with (2) smaller drivers so if I have a driver fail, I’ve got at least one driver still working. Seems the price of two smaller drivers is close to one dual-channel driver.

I’m curious about the math. If I go with one hlg-320h-36b for six SolStix X3 that’s 6x72W=432W, which seems too much for the driver. Am I to assume dimming down to 74% will bring me to 320W output? I’m thinking it follows the Basic LED DIY system rule, as it states on the Photonics Blog: “Run your LEDs soft; and your drivers hard.”

2 Likes

Don’t quote me on actual math because I’m not at my computer right now but the 320w driver will probably easily push 350w (meanwells are good like that) running each strip at almost 60w, unless you have active cooling I’d probably shoot for more like 50-55w per strip, something the smaller drivers can handle with ease, but still be running at peak efficiency.

Glad to help :slight_smile:

Basically if you’ve got the cooling , you can run the smaller drivers maxed out, without worrying about needing to dim them.

1 Like

For peak efficiency, it is best to run the drivers full power and the diodes run soft. In other words, it is better to undersize the driver than run it dimmed constantly. Dimming the driver causes it to be less efficient.

2 Likes

To add to @Jellypowered information I use a hlg320h 24a and get close to 370w over 10 strips. But I’m in the UK and our circuits run on 240v (closer to 247v) from the wall. Good luck with your build brother. Plenty of people to call on if you’re stuck. And jelly’s a clever guy

2 Likes

Hi bisceg - Thanks for considering SolStix. Your design looks solid. I would second the twin HLG-320H-36B choice. They will give you the power you need for the 72w X3s, where the efficiency/output/heat management sweetspot is right around 60w per strip. @Jellypowered is correct that the Mean Well 320w drivers will likely top out around 360-380w, giving you all the power you need to run your rig from near max to 50%. And two drivers will give you some redundancy and additional options for operational control.

This is probably a good time to announce that we’ve added an X3 option to our SolSheet line, both in the Original and X lamp formats, and are now carrying all of our listed drivers in 36v (X3) and 24v (X2) versions. We default to the A models (with the built-in dimmers) but will supply B models upon request - just note it in your order.

-b420

3 Likes

I’m starting to get it. I keep applying my understanding of AC circuits, where the wattage of a load is fixed and that’s how much power it’s going to consume. In these LED circuits, the driver will put out whatever it will put out and this power will be applied across the LED’s connected?
My drivers will be outside the grow box, so heat shouldn’t be too much of an issue. It’s in a basement location, which stays pretty cool all year around.
Sounds like I shouldn’t worry about dimming. Perhaps a Type A driver is adequate? I have plenty of height, so I can raise/lower the lights to control intensity to canopy I guess.

2 Likes

Thanks all!
Finalizing my order now…

1 Like

My last rig was a combination of x2 strips and cobs but it was a bit too big to be practical for working on and when in use (and i kept hitting my head on it) .My current rig is two frames of x2 strips with a driver each so i can use them independently of each other or together as one bigger unit. Also it means i can vary the height of the rigs to allow for tall and short plants in the same space. I’m loving this rig, best i have ever used and future proof :thumbsup:

1 Like

Honestly mate it’s really simple. I’ve not dealt with the x3’s personally but I’ve dealt with x1 X2 and cobs at 36v. Sounds like you’re gonna have a monster rig to be fair. Kinda jelaous cos I wanted a go of the x3’s myself

1 Like