Cultivar Laboratory Testing Results ⚛

These are the other folk I was thinking of: https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/

StrainSEEK 3.2 Megabase - $570
We have designed our 3.2 Mb panel to include loci from the other public cannabis genome datasets (Phylos, Lynch, Sawler), giving you the ability to compare your sequence data to any public cannabis genetics. The panel also covers multiple cannabinoid and terpene synthase genes, which can help breeders and cultivators identify genetic markers for desirable traits. Your report will show your strain’s closest relative from our database and provide a genetic distance value. Raw genetic data files are downloadable for further analysis.

StrainSEEK Whole Genome - $3500

Whole Genome sequencing maximize’s a breeder’s ability to show a strains uniqueness by providing a full DNA sequence of areas of that strain’s genome that have yet to be characterized. Reports on Kannapedia are currently similar to the smaller panel, but at about 800 Mb there is substantially more downloadable data. We will develop WGS specific features of the report and incorporate any new findings on gene mutations as they become available.

Would love to. Sadly, at the current pricepoint, I don’t have the justification. If the partial gets down to around $250 in the future, I might be more curious to give it try.

I wonder if phylos provides interesting marker information, such as markers for terpenes?

I’ve mulled that one over as well.

2 Likes

Pardon my ignorance, but can/ will these places test concentrates?

1 Like

Yup, if there setup for gas chromatography or hplc they’ll be able to test concentrates

1 Like

As far as I know, yes.

They generally will have a sample size requirement. For instance MCR says, 0.2g for cannabinoids + 0.2g for terpenes. Conversely, if it were flower, 0.3g for cannabinoids and 0.2g for terpenes.

1 Like

Thank you lads! Wondering if place in Davie will test concentrates or if they still hide behind 1920’s reefermadness muh ethics bullshit. Would like to take these ‘med’ companies to task with their distillate claims.

1 Like

@anon4675195 notes that one may be able to mail samples to ProVerde. Though, I don’t know if I’d want to take that risk at this time.

Davie? Davie, FL?

If so, there is EVIO Labs. See above.

And, it appears there are some other labs in FL, as well.

1 Like

I agree. Currently testing only makes sense for the big guys. As a hobby grower I just want thc cbd and ideally a terpene profile.

They have tlc testing plates if u don’t mind rough numbers for THC CBD CBN, I’ve been thinking about picking up a set to play with but sadly they don’t include terpenes… reviews are spotty but I wonder if it’s shoddy material or user error…

4 Likes

Yes. Just that is probably more than 90% of growers can afford or have an interest in pursuing.

Attempt to start a breeding program, profiling genetics is the future, though. Pricing will hopefully continue to drop.

There is a thread I read somewhere where the OP developed an LC test on the cheap using off-the-shelf supplies. More of a relative comparison, though.

Just another hobby rat-hole to go down :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yes that is what I was referencing! Thank you for all the info

2 Likes

For any combination of our single lab services, you can make arrangements directly with your local EVIO Lab to either drop off a sample for informational use only services

They don’t say on their website what the sample quantity that they would need. They hint at 1 gram per service. Just give them a call and let them know you’d like to have a informational analysis performed and the type of analysis. Ask for the estimated cost, turn-around time, payment options, and the sample size.

All they do is this type of testing so I can’t see them giving anyone a hard time.

3 Likes

That sounds like “TLC” thin layer chromatography. I’ve looked into it. The issue I always ran into was sourcing the (rather expensive) dyes. Everything else I’ve found cheaply available.

Do you know if they found a readily available dye that works? Or were they using specialty salts like Fast Blue?

3 Likes

TLC is a similar concept to HPLC. But, the approach to detection is slightly different.

For HPLC they use a “column”. A thin tube that is packed with some sort of material. A sample dissolved into a solvent is injected into the column. Different substances under pressure will travel through it at different rates. Finally, the output from the column is analyzed for changes over time using a spectrometer/light source. The time + spectrograph is used to characterize the substance(s) and the quantity. No explicit dyes. Most labs that I had looked into and are doing thorough tests (THCs + terpenes) seem to be using HPLC these days (excepting the “rapid” result test).

For TLC, I do recall seeing a DIY TLC thread for THC detection on some off-the-beaten path forum somewhere. They were able to detect THC and a “relative” quantity. Can’t find the link. Will try to find it again since it may have some info re: types of dyes for TLC.

I recall trying TLC as a part of some coursework many years ago. Pretty cool. Though, that’s the extent of my experience with that.

@Doulovebeef might have more info on the technique / sourcing for TLC.

3 Likes

@Northern_Loki is correct saying the quantity it relative. TLC can test for CBD, CBN, THC. the sample your testing will have to be decarbed so terpene testing is out.

you can go on ebay and source the fast blue b reagent as well at the silica plates, youll need chloroform as eluent and hexane for the solvents.

TEST4 Combo Detection Potency Kit THC/CBD on amazon might be a better solution.

im looking into predicative analytics as another solution, u just need to send in a leave clipping, or a leave rubbing, im still figuring that one out though.

5 Likes

I’m guessing you have already found these, but just in case, here’s what I could find.

Along with what Doulovebeef has noted, general technique:
https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/make-cannabinoid-analysis/

This might be the one I recall reading:

Here are some pre-made kits:
cbscientific
cannalytic supply
thctestkits
montanabiotech
alpha cat

8 Likes

well i ordered a 'test4 combo kit" from amazon to give a go.

unfortunately i dont have any lab cert’d cannabis to cross reference results.

so i plan to take multiple samples from same plant and cross reference the results.

ill photo document the process and results and post them here, should have the kit in a few days.

11 Likes

That’s cool. This will be very interesting.

4 Likes

I have an almost complete hplc setup, from scrounged lab parts bought on eBay. Both of my uv detectors seem to have flaky bulbs though, so I’m not quite there yet.

6 Likes

Yea, well, if you are trying to make me jealous it’s working :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

dude thats awesome @lefthandseeds

i hope u get that sucker up and running!

is it hobby based or are you planning on a business venture?

4 Likes

:joy: well save it until I actually get something working… Right now it’s just a pile of 80s lab junk that forces liquid through a small pore. But with any luck I’ll get a detector going and figure out some way to digitize the output. That’ll be something

8 Likes