The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

No but I’m a big fan of St. Huberts and Mont Sainte Anne! C’est bien!

3 Likes

They closed up all the locations in Toronto a while back… I miss that sauce! :smiley:

4 Likes

I believe their is no St Huberts in Ontario any more.

2 Likes

Cornwall, Rockland and Ottawa.

I like their sauce too…lol

3 Likes

Well the more you know! I figured I would of had to go to Montreal

3 Likes

I used to get their fries and a side of the sauce because it was all I could afford at the time :laughing:
Though the thing that I really miss is the “sauce” and curds from this fromagerie across the river from Quebec City. I am primarily monoligual and have glitches with other languages (*i respond often to french in spanish… etc)… so when asking the 6 dairy girls that worked the counter it was quite the ordeal to find out if the gravy was meat or veg based (my partner at the time was vegetarian but ate dairy).

It took all 6 of them and some fun interpretive dancing for them to understand… and that’s when I learned all poutine sauce in Quebec is supposed to be Veg and it’s us Ontarions that are the weirdos with the meat sauce.

Fun times at that Fromagerie Victoria Saint-Nicolas!

4 Likes

You can buy the gravy in grocery stores in Ontario

12 Likes

Hola Gang

Now I know what to offer you
in the Secret Santa this yr

Bare

10 Likes

Their chicken dipping sauce at the local food basics, it beats the pants off of Swiss Chalet’s sauce.

I can’t stomach poutine though, soggy fries are really unappetizing

3 Likes

It’s no secret that Santa here at OG is really Doug in a red fat suit…

3 Likes

How can anyone not like Poutine?

4 Likes

I worked at Swiss Chalet years ago on the side as a server to earn some extra cash. And I’ve seen people drink that sauce down cup by cup. Literally seen a man drink 6 he poured it into a fucking glass

Edit. One of the ingredients in it is chicken lard from the rotisserie and people are drinking it :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

I always enjoyed their delicious lemon soup

6 Likes

Oh God lol. Have deffinetly seen children go to drink that

4 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for the laugh!

4 Likes

Anytime I make poutine at home I use extra crispy fries, and also add firmly steamed green beans. The beans stay crunchy when even the extra crispy fries go soggy so there’s always a pleasant mouth feel for those not into mashing on paste.

4 Likes

Their sauce is alright, I don’t understand the hype. I like a nice fatty chicken soup but I don’t go scraping drippings from my appliances.

I really loved the buttered toast from Swiss Chalet before they started serving the little buns except I just realized that was decades ago.

2 Likes

Fun story about swiss chalet . In the late 90s I worked for Centas the uniform company in Toronto . It was a pretty shitty job. I worked on a uniform cleaning assembly line as head sorter .
When I was first hired and doing my orientation I spent a day out on deliveries/pickups with one of our truck drivers. One of the places we picked up from was swiss chalet . The driver told me where to go to get the garbage cans of dirty uniforms. He said whatever you do do NOT open one and look inside . I asked him why and he proceeded to tell me it will be crawling with maggots and is the worst smell you have ever smelled . I figured he was bsing me and took of the lid of the first one I came to. He wasn’t lying and I quite quickly proceeded to puke all over the employee hallway lol
Once a week all of the swiss chalet uniforms from all of the locations in the GTA would come in to be cleaned and once a week a new person to deal with them had to be hired . This was a huge facility , hundreds of thousands of square feet . Where I worked was on the entire other side and the smell still made me and a number of others puke every single time .
Have never even slightly considered eating there since .

Fun times lol

7 Likes

Fortunately we didn’t have bugs in the back but I can deffinetly attest that shit is not above board. Hell any server forced to take care of 8 tables, run food, clear dishes and bill doesn’t even have the time to take a piss for the entire shift sometimes. Let alone have the time to wash their hands properly in between running meals and clearing tables.

4 Likes

Oh I remember one winter we had a mice problem though and a leaking ceiling and we had a tile out on the ceiling and a mouse jumped out right onto someone’s table of 4. Thank God it wasn’t my section!

3 Likes