The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

You’ll get a few seeds but most of them won’t be viable. Wait six weeks or until you start seeing ripe seeds poking out of their pods.

7 Likes

I need to read more in depth on this as it sounds like it’s a process that’s been around for a long time but I’m just not that educated on it. Skunkman has a thread on ICM and he did smoke the reversed males.

The most interesting part is that you can potentially save a line if all you have are males because they carry both XY chromosomes.

9 Likes

I’m having more ripe seeds Pop in my Substrate @rasterman, from these long flowering heirlooms. 5 squirrel Tail seedlings last week in the soil; week 15 of bloom

3 more this week. Too funny

4 Likes

Sharp Punto rojo CBG

31 Likes

72 days of 12/12 for this Oaxacan that got first round of pollen dusting @19 days and again @26 days then a third idk 4-5 wks out. It’s assumed 5-6 wks for seeds to finish so l could be looking at 45 days minium?

3 Likes

Wow those are delicate leaves @Arbac

10 Likes

That’s the idea. I used all the seeds and there are no more. I’d like a chance to smoke it someday, and unless i reverse a male or all of them, and then pollinate them, there won’t be seed. Cuttings of the males will be kept, at least for awhile, in hopes of finding a true female someday. The seed should be m/f s1 seed, is that right? @herbgreen
keeping these pure is the idea. It would break my heart to hybridize them. Mixing them with the Silversides line is a given😁 That’s the easy part.
@420noob best way to check seed is to scratch a husk and check the color. If it’s black or close to black finish unwrapping it. All the skin should completely come off of the seed. If it doesn’t it wasn’t ripe enough and the others need more time. Just a small scratch won’t bother the seed and you don’t have to pick it if it isn’t ready. Your calculations seem accurate. You can start pulling seed from the earlier pollinations as soon as the calyx splits and you see the seed. Once in awhile they split before finishing, but the seed will likely germinate even if not finished.
Also, 4-6 weeks for ripe seed, but if you made lots of seed there will be some that take longer than 6 weeks.

9 Likes

@Arbac that’s a pretty plant! :heart_eyes: looks destined for an ukrhul mating​:wink:
@MissinBissin I plant my old seed now…the ones that don’t pop in paper towels…and that is why. 15 weeks though…that’s something!

Here’s a couple Chiapas. A male and the lone female. New photos from last night ( the 8th). Just had a crazy 4 day stretch in half gallon pots…last photo is one of these tall ones on the 5th. Leaves have narrowed considerably. Beginning week 3 of flower. They are as slow to form flowers as cryptic Oaxaca, but unfortunately there is one short male plant. I won’t rule out that it could be some sort of
lebanese phenotype, similar to the short Oaxaca or
Guerrero phenos…but I never like seeing shorties.

15 Likes

Those seeds that popped, were not planted @Upstate.

Just for clarification, They have fallen from the branches and Germinated…

Its been hilarious watching the procession

4 Likes

I kept the pot around from my Namkading because it’s got a bunch of future volunteers in it. :rofl:

7 Likes

That’s true ideally…S1 is what I consider reversal of female…not really ideal

Colorado sativas calls a "selfed"an S1 like the terms are interchangeable and dont think they really are LOL

Anyway, yeah I believe in ‘selfed’ as in m x f

If possible…You dont have more seeds if you really want ‘pure’ line and…as far as your work with it I see where youre going…

Might want to cross to known female that you know is good

These are just thoughts…not even advice…

Its like snowhighs work … I didnt ever get… why not keep pure?

He would cross to something simialr then go back for the phenos and run that line…The females are not always stable in tropical line He did his best to do what he thought would work

Also he couldnt release($) these lines pure because Vibes Collective or other gifting parties involved

However,
Its not end of the world to make a cross like that… elchichas is using that Golli haze

What ever you have thats really good I would use…we know when a female is good!

Theres no way to know about males reversed

There is way to test progeny of males

run the males against known females…then plant the seeds…grow / smoke …Its the influence of the males…Then youre basically smoking males…in essence

Thats what the haze C that’s in SSH, Mango haze, Nevils Haze…Its the infuence of haze C male

SamS is interesting character…works on near unworkable scale…far beyond what we get to do here

Just knocking around a few thoughts…When you have living plants you have the hope you need right there! XY Chromosomes like SamS says…

Really interesting…has me thinking about influence of haze males in the MangoHaze,SSH… when the sativa side is male…They can reveal their hidden powers numerous ways!

9 Likes

Growing outdoors in Oklahoma is easy

10 Likes

Oklahoma is cheap.

8 Likes

If my understanding is correct and you use pollen from one male onto the other reversed male then in theory the offspring should produce 25% females (XX), 50% males (XY), and 25% males (YY).

Sounds like the YY males are more rare with low vigor and there’s no way to know for sure which is which.

Not sure that S1 would be the proper labeling or not. Most use the S1 designation to indicate feminized seeds and these would actually produce regulars with a higher male count. Just as @herbgreen mentions how Gerry from Colorado Sativas creates confusion with his labeling of regular seeds as S1 which I still don’t quite understand.

5 Likes

I think YY is inviable; not sure whether that’ll result in 25/50/25 or 33/67% female/male/inviable, offhand, but from what I’ve read most of the Y chromosome is “junk data.” The inviable seeds might not even form in the first place, or might form but never germinate. That’s a question I’ve never found a definitive answer to, though I assume from the way people advertise triploids that seeds won’t even form… :thinking: Surely we can depend on truth in advertising, right?

6 Likes

@Cormoran thanks for the clarification, everything you just mentioned aligns with what I’ve been reading so far.

3 Likes

I think that Gerry must be remembering S1 as being referred to as ‘selfed’

selfed really means m x f …technically

Its easy to say an S1 is selfed also…thus the confusion

Colorado Sativas does a lot right…thats not exactly wrong…just probably incorrect LOL

Dont think the terms are interchangeable but whatever…

I enjoy what Gerry has going up there! Its All Good…in the neighborhood!

3 Likes

This really great resource from the Overgrow of Old…

Good way to maintain MUMs …and DADs for that matter

I remember reading this…good root control tips

7 Likes

I’ve always understood “selfed” as in self-pollination which is a reversed female that pollinates the same plant or a clone of that same plant. I’ve not seen any use of “selfed” or S1 referring to m + f (aside from Gerry). Any references? Always learning.

For sure!!

7 Likes

Fairly sure S1 is terminology that was made up by cannabis breeders anyway, so at this point it’s kinda fungible what it means… as far as I know CS is the only place that uses it to mean what the rest of the world refers to as F2s, though.

5 Likes