The Lazarus Grow

Sad update: all the seeds developed mold and didn’t germinate.

So, moving on…

My plants are still in solo cups (I normally keep them in cups until they are sexed) but I fear I goofed badly with one of the autos. It’s already flowering! Yikes.

I also gave them their first feeding, because they were really hungry. It’s made a significant difference. There’s a mutant in there, also- the Queen Anne’s Revenge. It only developed a single leaf and had no terminal growth node visible. I had originally planned to cull it, but it is now starting to grow so I’m going to give it a chance. Who knows, it might be something special. It sure looks weird, though.

I’m not very happy with my lights, either. They’re sufficient for other plants, but I don’t think they are enough for cannabis. So, I ordered a HPS for my closet (I plan on eventually running two or possibly three, supplemented with the LEDs). This room originally had HPS, so I’m going with the gear I am familiar with.

I have seen lots of photos of other LED grows, and the amount of stretch is pretty bad. Little popcorn buds and lots and lots of stems. If I wanted lumber, I’d go to Home Depot. I’m not trying to build a damn cabin here, after all.

I’m going to be transplanting everything and redoing the setup, so it is still very much a work in progress.

This is the mutant.

They were very recently fed, and are exploding into growth and starting to green up again. They’ll look a lot better once I get them into their new homes.

4 Likes

Those are some great sounding crosses…wish I had seen this thread earlier. Are these the ones that failed to germinate?

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

The black mamba crosses are the failure to launch ones. Makes me sick, too. I still have some seeds left, so I will just keep trying. I have them stored in my fridge until I can get that microclone kit later on- I feel like it stands the best chance of success. I’m on a fixed income (SSI, I am disabled) so I really don’t like throwing money away for no reason. I wouldn’t even consider buying something like that unless I felt it would help.

In the meantime, I have some fabulous sounding goodies to play with in the growroom. This is my first time growing autos, and an entirely different room setup, so I expect a few errors along the way.

3 Likes

Good luck @Hippiechik ! Gonna watch your endeavors

1 Like

30 day update!

The plants are still in their solo cups, and are starting to green up nicely after a short of fertilizer (they got a bit neglected while I was so ill).

The yellow plant from earlier is also starting to green up, though it’s still yellower than the rest. It’s at the upper left in the picture below:

I wound up with a weird little mutant, too. It’s the Queen Anne’s Revenge; it emerged with only one leaf and no apparent terminal growth node. It stalled out for the longest time, but right when I went to cull it I noticed that it was finally starting to grow. It’s a bizarre looking thing, but as long as it keeps growing I will let it go.

I also managed to screw up one of the auto flowers, because it is already in bloom. Oops.

I will be transplanting them all into cat litter buckets sometime this week. Hopefully they will do well.

I’m still trying to get everything installed in my room, and it’s rather slow going:

I will be installing a 400w HPS in the closet, with a 100w LED on either side and a carbon scrubber and inline fan. That should be adequate for the time being.

3 Likes

It’s another new supermoon, so it’s time for a second attempt at starting my old seeds (black mamba x Bogglegum crosses)- but this time, I’m using a mini greenhouse seed starter tray and an AC Infinity heat mat.

I’m also using straight vermiculite (with a little pinch of potting mix at the bottom to keep it from falling through) and I added a bit of h2o2 to both the overnight soaking liquid as well as the liquid in the tray. Hopefully that will help control the mold.

When I tried to hang the light up, though, it ripped out of the drywall. I guess the bulldog anchors I used weren’t good enough (it couldn’t possibly be my shitty installation job lol). I really need to install swag anchors for the ceiling, but I’m too wobbly and unsteady to risk it with my stepladder.

Moving on, my plants are now 30 days old (from seed drop). I’m seeing some promising things, despite my less than stellar care.

A quick overview of the room. They are still in solo cups, but I will be transplanting them tonight.

With the fan, it stays pretty cool in here. This will be helpful once I plug in the rest of the lights, because I know the HPS will be considerably warmer.

First up is a plant from Twenty20, a femiized strain called MMXX:

https://northatlanticseed.com/product/new-mmxx-f2-f/

Look at that tight internode spacing!

¡Me gusta!

Next up is a White Rhino:

Super tight internodes on this one, too

This is Poison Daddy

Orange goji x amnesia haze

Queen Anne’s Revenge is a weird little mutant, but I am growing rather fond of it.

https://northatlanticseed.com/product/new-queen-annes-revenge-r/

One of the autoflower freebies is trucking right along!

More shots of my abused and neglected children.

4 Likes

I decided to drop another batch of seeds, because I am a gambler and I fed saucy. This batch is 9 [Black Mamba x Bogglegum] x AK47, plus the last two of original C4 from Chimera, and a mystery seed that I found on the floor. :smile:

I added a half teaspoon of molasses and brown sugar to a half cup of boiling water, then added a teaspoon of h2o2 when it cooled down a bit.

While I was waiting for the soak solution to cool, I very lightly scuffed the edges of each seed with a very fine nail buffer/file. They will be closely monitored, and when they sink I will plant them directly into vermiculite- just like I did with the others. I might give them a quick rinse to get rid of any excess sugar first, though. I don’t want to encourage mold.

7 Likes

. Grow karma

2 Likes

Those are all perking right up. Gonna be a great grow.

1 Like

Today was moving day! Yay! The two autos and the feminized MMXX went into three gallon nursery pots, and everything else went into two gallon pots to veg for another month.

I am using Promix BX + bio fungicide and myco and a tablespoon of Osmocote per container. I am also using a soil drench with Bti to help prevent gnats from getting a foothold, along with GH nutrients to get them up and running.

This is my first time running the new system, and the iPower digital ballast I’m using allows me to turn down the power- from 400w to 150w. So, that’s where I am going to start. After a week, I will kick it up a notch…and keep turning it up weekly until they’re ready to flip.

I am not sure just yet just how high I want the lights. I’m going to let everything stabilize and come up to operating temperature, then see how hot it’s running in there.

4 Likes

Today marks their 5th week (after emerging). Time to take a look and see how they are doing…

The MMXX is one that I am keeping a close eye on. I have a feeling about her, she already has the smell I’m looking for.

I also have a very yellow plant, a White Rhino. It’s not deficient, in fact it’s been strongly yellow since emergence. I’m most likely going to cull it, as I think it might be a male.

I have raised the lights a little, and bumped the voltage up a notch on the MH (it’s a digital ballast). Each week from now until the flip I will repeat the process.

I do know at least one of the Grape Pie x Snow Lotus is female, and I strongly suspect the remaining White Rhino is as well. The rest just aren’t quite ready yet.

2 Likes

Btw this plant (Queen Anne’s Revenge by Jilly Bean, in the upper right) is some kind of mutant. It emerged with no terminal node, and the stem is really deformed- it looks almost like two or three plants stuck together.

I’m leaving it alone for now, though it is a cull and I don’t intend to keep a cutting from it. It isn’t showing preflowers yet.

2 Likes

I won a new light for the growroom on another forum, and it should be here this weekend. I’m stoked to have it, because it will allow me considerable leeway and flexibility for my closet.

https://www.spider-farmer.com/products/spider-farmer-g300w-cost-effective-full-spectrum-led-grow-light/

I think it will really help keep the temperature down in there over the summer. I can install the HID during the colder months and go strictly LED the rest of the time.

6 Likes

I have an Acefarmer 500watt light looks like an aircraft but ive always seen these Ipower Ballasts pretty reasonable on Amazon. Crazy thing is you can do quite alot with just tht 400watts its just the heat that you have to worry about… With Hps you want Distance tbh…

So, the fancy new light has arrived, but there’s a little problem: It is just a little bit too big to fit in the closet.

This really isn’t a huge problem, because it will easily fit if I take off about a half inch from both ends of the mounting brackets. It’s just machined aluminum bar stock, so it will be pretty easy to cut.

I have been in contact with the manufacturer, and hopefully they’ll send me 4 end caps and a little adhesive so I can put it back together and make it look right. See the arrows:

There are some wires up inside of it, but they shouldn’t be affected. I will try to gently remove the end caps and take a closer look when I get to the shop.

I picked up a couple of nifty doodads that allow me to monitor conditions right from my phone.

It’s pretty slick, and it will alert me in case certain conditions arise. I ordered a few more, so I can use them to monitor the conditions for my germination areas. (I grow a lot of flowering plants.)

I have three heat mats now, and two controllers (a dual and a single). Those little monitors will let me see how accurate they are at holding a steady temperature.

I have only the 400w MH running right now. I had pulled everything down to get ready for the new light, but hit a snag. The ginormous clusterfuck of wires in there had to be dealt with, too. I got the timer properly mounted to the wall, and all the cords routed safely up and out of the way. I also picked up a UL rated 12/3 extension cord (MADE IN :us: ) so that makes things neater and a little bit safer. @FirstCavApache64 I know you were concerned about that.

4 Likes

Let’s take a peek and see how they’re looking today:

Since this is the year of the rabbit, I decided to give my garden a couple of little friends. (I made them years ago out of Sculpey.)

6 Likes

Looking nice and healthy.

How much longer for veg? Are you thinking of flowering with the led or hps?

1 Like

Today marks the 6th week, and it’s time to start adjusting the lighting schedule from 24/0 to 18/6. In another week, I will reduce it further to 14/10, and then the following week is the flip to 12/12.

So far, so good. The males are going to be culled, but I wanted to let some of their traits express before I do anything- there might be a decent one in there.

2 Likes

I am going to veg for 8 weeks, then flip. They’ll be flowered under 400w HPS and 2x100w LEDs. I just need to switch out the MH bulb.

2 Likes

They look perfect and happy. You’ve done this before haven’t you? lol :wink:

2 Likes