Trouble switching to coco

Go talk to @DefNSmokn dude crushes it with Jacks. I’m sure he can get give you some excellent advice.

I used canna and Char Coir for a long while but for us dudes that live in BFE these are the prices we pay to have good stuff shipped to our door. lol

Reason I switched to Roots organics coco bricks. Pretty decent coco at $17ish a pop give or take.

2 Likes

If you’re in Canada, doesn’t the goverment issue you peat moss? :man_shrugging: :rofl:

4 Likes

Nope, that’s at the local shop. Ypu can count on double to triple the prices here. My pollen shaker is $40 here , $12 in the USA for the same one. We get robbed here, lol.

4 Likes

you guys do get robbed… I have so many Canadians that buy liquor from me here in AZ and take it back home while even still paying the fee’s(well some of them haha) at the border because it’s still cheaper. :laughing:

2 Likes

Though I haven’t ran coco for a few years now. I always used drops over a meter so I couldn’t say the exact levels but my plants always preformed best when I fluctuated ph slightly between waterings. yellow to slightly green tented yellow lol. I had some issues with my city’s water at times. After mixing and getting the ph where I want, 15 minutes later the ph would spike back up. If your on city water that might be affecting you.

2 Likes

Gracias amigo… Ill tag him in my thread and see if he can help out. :cowboy_hat_face: I was getting N overdose and now I think Im running into Mg deficiencies

2 Likes

@DougDawson
I’m with you on brand really did make it a easy pick
I’ve only used coco ever that’s why out four was a bitch lol
Water feed feed water to f much lol
I always pre set my coco then let it dry 25 percent before I put anything in it so then I can water it with what ever mix I’m starting with
And I always stated mine at 5.8 just in case it was to rise in time I’m not to close to 6.2 an could keep it 6. An under easier then fighting it back down from 6.2 or more
Just me plus i tried the I would set recharge in the coco when i pre set it

2 Likes

Yeah, I had some issues with first Jack’s run and it was @Jetdro and @Papalag who graciously helped me out. I have always been a GH guy but wanted to try Jack’s.I will run it again.

2 Likes

Master blend, cal nit, Epsom mix is great in coco also. Similar as far as I know to jacks and effective.

1 Like

Yeah I’m on city water. I don’t have the money to invest in an RO machine but I could get RO water from Walmart for like 50¢ a gallon

WHAT IN YHE HIGHWAY ROBBERY IS THIS???!!!

$24 bag of CC Professional Plus and minimum $100 delivery!!! Bruh.

3 Likes

You may have to shop around a bit, I’ve seen most places selling bags of coco and soil asking ridiculous prices for shipping sadly, thats why I’m hoping this brick I have will fare as well as the professional plus bags I’ve ran in the past

Much cheaper shipping wise to get the bricks in my location here in NW Florida

1 Like

So first off i use bagged coco just like @DougDawson simple and easy, also i never precharge anymore as say the canna bagged stuff doesn’t need it, and usually by the time i get my autowaters going its gonna cycle it regardless .

pH i feed in the 5.6-5.9 range and depending usually problems if they wanted to show was once the pH started to run upwards of 6.2-6.3 and up.

Ec im running high and running my own variation of athena like @Rhai88 is running but using Jacks, cal nit and gypsum, my seedlings and through veg they are getting fed 2.75ish EC and thats not whats in the media which is alot higher.

Previous i use to run lower ec values but found i was always skirting issues as i would also need to run higher temps to push evaporation and water pickup, now its high ec lower temps and lower uptake but equally if not better results.

also there is something to be said about figuring out that happy zone of potentially too wet vs how dry do you let them go as some coco if the pith and fine particles are too much can get waterlogged

5 Likes

I’m in SE TN where there’s no hydro stores for as long as the eye can see lol so I’m stuck with the shit end too

1 Like

@GrowTheAtlas
Where are u at this is almost new
I’m going to have well water so I won’t need it

1 Like

Dude coco is all close to the same if you flush it out. I tried like ten types. Similar results. Some definitely better as Doug recommended but sounds like water issue or not clean coco.

I liked “grow it” nice texture but even burpee from Home Depot is fine. Just need to flush that coco when you get it and make it clean. Also ph can have a range. It’s not so exact. Just different than soil. Keep it simple. You’ll see. Use GH for one grow to get used to coco. All you need to add is maybe a little cal mag and bloom booster silica if you want strong stalks and better uptake. The main issue in coco is making buds tasty and stack during flower.

1 Like

Out of likes now but I agree with what @MikeyMeteor said above, keeping it simple is a huge key to getting used to coco brother

I’ve just always been scared of poor quality coco is why I tried canna first lol

Oh before I forget let me ask @TopShelfTrees1 what he thinks about what folks new to Coco should do to keep it simple and succeed, I know he’s been doing it a while

3 Likes

It’s true poor quality coco you see in the plants, but if you wash everything out of it, you can grow a nice plant. Better coco of course you also notice. I noticed it with Grow It (not a sponser my buddy at the hydro shop gifted me one)

1 Like

I haven’t used it yet but I’m trying this for my first coco run.

Coco Coir Mega Brick Organic… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T0G67S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

The canna bricks are great, very clean affordable coco. I think each individual brick will take about 10l to hydrate, which happens very rapidly. They also come in a watertight package, so you can just open them up and add water

2 Likes