4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Where do you find these amazing pickers? Do you play? One Love…

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

I am glad that you dug it.

No, I do not play, but long ago I gave it a try.
I had a close friend who started playing around 1972, he learned lots of Led Zepplin tunes
pretty quickly, as he would practice a lot.
Around 1973 he started listening to John Mclaughlin and Larry Coryell and Bill Connors and other ‘fusion” guitarists. He became obsessed with Coryell’s Eleventh House and wanted to learn how to play like Larry. So he sought out a teacher named Vic Cenicola . Many a Friday or Saturday night we would go see Vic play as at the time my friend Vinnie was taking weekly lessons. Vinnie would practice 5 to 8 hours almost every day. He got pretty darn good.
Around ‘74 or “75 I became interested in learning how to play. So I started with the learning process and then gave it up after only a couple of months. I realized that I would never get as good as I wanted to be, and certainly not as adept as my pal Vinnie. At that time I was 25 years old, and concluded that I should have begun guitar 10 years earlier.

Now the gist of all this rambling, is that ever since those long ago days I have developed an extreme fondness for jazz guitar, and a preference for jazz music of all types.

My dear friend Vinnie passed away about 8 years ago, he was only 59 years old.
RIP my old Buddy, you are missed.

5 Likes

Right on! Great Story. You are totally responsible for my curiosity regarding Classical Music lately. Well, you and NPR. I have listened to almost every one of your Classical posts. Most are moving and inspiring. Some…not so much but that’s music. My younger sister is a classical pianist. Never rubbed off on me.
Thanx my friend,

3 Likes
4 Likes

3 Likes

Not sure if that will work posting a video to a specific time stamp. The vid is the entire “Fire Up” album by Merl Saunders, but I was trying to hit the last song, “Lonely Avenue” which starts at 31:10. Merl was longtime friends with Jerry Garcia and this release documents what you might have heard at one of their gigs in the mid 1970s. See also Live At Keystone vol1, vol 2, and Keystone Encores.

4 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

I requested that my grow thread be deleted, if this cost you loss of posts… I apologize.

Much like OG and the fiery Phoenix, as Shiva is my witness… rise again!
3 Likes