🎧 What Are You Listening To? (Part 5)

2 Likes

Koe is a favorite around here. That Diplo album is good, the tune with Sturgill is my favorite! good tunes!

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like

That’s quite nice. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. :+1:

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know you liked those Zappa tunes.

Frank Zappa has been my life’s musical guiding light.

If not for me having developed a taste for FZ’s work, and his influences, my musical affections would simply not be what they are today. So, a big, fat, thanks to Frank Z. for setting me off on my life’s musical appreciation journey, he really opened up my ears to instrumental jazz and classical music, which subsequently became one of my life’s burning passions.

I am old, but not quite as old as you are, @mota … I will be 72 soon, yikes! Haha
Getting old sucks, but it certainly beats any alternative that I am aware of.

5 Likes

Outta likes.

You are welcome. Thank you for posting it. I’m certain I wouldn’t otherwise have heard it.

Honestly, I can say the same about Frank and my ability to appreciate music generally.

I was looking for a Marvin Gaye Greatest Hits album (the one with the gold cover) in 1966 when I noticed this weird ass album cover in an adjacent bin. It had these butt-ugly guys on the cover, all hot pink and blue, and was by some band called The Mothers of Invention. WTF? Checking out the songs, they sounded every bit as strange as the album cover looked. There was no way I was not going to buy that album. Thankfully, while I would have, I did not have to forgo the Marvin Gaye album.

Holy crap did I ever love Freak Out, and I still do! Are you familiar with James Reese Europe? He was an American soldier/musician in WWI. He introduced Europe (coincidental that the names are the same!) to jazz, and while the people (French) fell in love with it, they were also certain that the instruments the band was playing were somehow special. You know, as if you couldn’t play “that” music on regular instruments. None of them had ever heard heavily syncopated music. I kind of felt like those Europeans, like, what the hell kind of wonderful craziness is this?!! And yet I still, for the most part, hates me some post-big band jazz. I’ve always loved classical.

Congratulations on making it so long. Getting old does suck, yet so many don’t get the opportunity. So far, I’ve pretty much always been grateful not to be dead. No dirt nappin’ yet. Who knows what the future holds. Well, there is that one thing it holds that is for certain. :+1:

So for the time being I guess I can continue to wonder, where is that bong?!

6 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

One of the best groove soul/funk dance tunes. Used bump 'em on the floor. Now not as strong, but still can ol man groove.

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, and not just vertical dancing!

1 Like

Zebra

2 Likes
2 Likes