What's the proper way to do a pheno hunt/seed selection?

They have two different dynamics, but without breeding really involved in your goal, you can ignore it.

On motherplants it’s the most common case happening in breeding : thinking that this old woody tree initially planned by the nature to live only one year … will last forever as it, and on top of its performances. Not more than 6 months for a motherplant that you love really, and you will be safe for ages even if you’re just producing clones to smoke with it.

1 Like

Glad you asked this question @lush

I have wondered the same thing. I think I have been doing it wrong for a while now. I do the old take a clone, grow out the mother. Keep the best from the clones. So it sounds like a lot of people reveg their plants to get a clone?

I think I’m going to do whole packs of the same strain. Make preservation seeds from them and take clones. It takes me forever to go through seeds and I would like to preserve some genetics for the future but not get hung up on the same ole strains for too long like I’m prone to doing.

Thanks for everyone’s input on this because I’m still trying to figure out how you all go through packs so damn fast. Lol

3 Likes

They will be the same but for one thing, plants won’t flower until they are suitably mature, from seed this may take a little while, but because clones are taken from already mature plants they will flower at any size.

1 Like

Hi, resurrecting the thread because the actual hunt started :slight_smile: But I have a problem.

For the first time, I decided to skip the paper towel and germinate straight in the media. I’m using a product called Sponge pots - similar to root riots but smaller in size. I just planted the seeds inside, didn’t really think of the direction they go in, assuming they should figure gravity out.

I can see 1 or 2 now have the taproot emerging and sticking out of the plug… Not curling back down, straight up. Should I try to do surgery and reposition them?

Also, should I turn on the light before sprouts have fully appeared?

2 Likes

Me yes I would reposition seed
Or I would put those in tiny pots and cover with medium , if not confident in repositioning

If temps are fine when lights out then no need for light till they break surface , save electric
: )

I would only use plugs for cuts , seeds I would place in tiny pots of medium of your choice
This will be easier for roots to go down as looser

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Amazing info right there, its the reason I’m here. Next lvl stuff.
@Justblazin @Budderton

3 Likes

@DEFSeeds As much as I’d like to take credit for this genius technique, I learned it from the legendary @Budderton

4 Likes