A Breeder Steve Thread

You’re completely right man and I wanna apologize for my own part in the toxicity of the thread.

7 Likes

nice posts gregor. Chimera is a great guy, very open and approachable and great at breaking down some commonly misunderstood concepts. I have pm’ed him on ig a few times and he was always responsive and helpful. It sucks you can’t get his beans right now, as breeders retail is closed for awhile. I thinks its good to keep positive as well, who are we to argue anyway?

I want everything on the market to be genetically tested and plotted to see what the real connections and family groups are. there will no doubt be some pretty earth shaking discoveries

8 Likes

I didn’t know about the NL5/Haze in there but that would make sense with what I see in the few examples I have. Good shit dude. I like those knowledge gems. NL5/Haze strikes again.

The other thing that occurred to me is that Chimera is tight with Skunkman Sam also and I read somewhere that Sam had selected for sweet in his Haze line(s).

7 Likes

I think you may be confusing the OH with skunk#1

My understanding is that Sam has selected for sweetness in his Skunk #1, and has preserved the original haze without any phenotypic selection to preserve as much of the genome as possible.

4 Likes

Jesse - yeah Chimera is the best and definitely a really good dude. One of the smartest people in the scene and I think he has at least a masters in plant genealogy. I also admire his knowledge of all the different terpenes in cannabis. I am totally with you on wishing his stuff was available and it does suck about breeders direct. Hopefully they make a comeback as theres a few things I want to pick up myself like that Highland Mexican and a few others. If I knew he was stopping I would loaded up especially on the Dolce(Sweet Blue) too. Fingers crossed I guess.

Mestizo - yeah it’s definitely a Haze with strong Lemon/citrus tones but not like the Lemon Haze cut from Franco. I bet you got a wiff of it with the Dolce’s you grew. The smell is so good it almost gives you a dopamine rush in a way. You just wanna keep smelling it over and over again.

Mantis - you’re right on the money as far as Sam. He liked the sweet fruity phenos rather than the skunk cabbage stank and he bred the Skunk #1 in that direction. That’s why all the Dutch “skunk” is so sweet and fruity. I personally wish he didn’t, lol. The road kill/cabbage smell was a huge security risk back in the day and could get ya locked in a cage for years. My brother spent a year in jail for the old skunk. He got pulled over and even though it was double bagged the cop still smelled it. I’ll never forget he had an ounce broken up into quarters so they of course hit him with intent to deliver and nailed him with a felony. That was fun driving up there with my hysterical Mom to go visit him in prison for something that has never killed anyone in the history of man. Anyways, the moral of the story is that stuff reeked, lol.

7 Likes

I’m easily confused :smiley:

1 Like

Spice of life selection from issue 6 of cannabis canada. Winter 96/97

This is when he thought sweet skunk had big skunk background, instead of the nl5/haze he now thinks

14 Likes

I was going to comment and forgot, it also appears his big treat and tight skunk crosses may have used the same male as the sweet skunk cross, a big skunk later theorized to be a nl5/haze cross.

I dont think it really matters, as I havent heard of either before looking at these catalogues, but i enjoy the thought

3 Likes

Bless Marc Emery for changing the game. I used to order seeds from Marc Emery, back then. I think I have that exact magazine issue in the archives.

2 Likes

Please take some pictures or scans of the catalogues and upload them to the old catalogue thread!

I would love to see more of this stuff. I was supposed to buy multiple issues from someone but the deal fell through

1 Like

Here, Here, He is not given enough credit.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Rosebud is the rarest of air. According to Breeder Steve, it had microscopic yields but phenomenal smoke and flavor.

4 Likes

I supports breeder steve and have learned tonned from him and the podcasts he’s been on.

3 Likes

The Sweet Tooth #3 that we grew here in AK(Early 2K…might have been late 90’s)was really really nice!!

Rock solid buds that absolutely REEKED of Hawaiian Punch…like the Hawaiian Punch guy Hawaiian Punch!!

And….was fully done in 42 days!! Very happy high as well even though not the most potent…but a truly tasty treat.

Wish it was still around….

Alaskagrown

9 Likes

thanks for your information - ICMA just re-did their site a while back - it’s one of the olds site but not a old as 420mag — with international cannacraphic ma ther are more out-dated post that current, the site seem to losing members. Hope membership increase ( perfer the old site)

3 Likes

very interesting - did you know that his son is breeding - at present forget his brand

2 Likes

It is still around, Chimeras Grapefruit x BB is Sweet tooth #3 and I never noticed it but it is straight away Hawaiian Punch. Its been in my room for along time and although I love its taste and smell, I never made that association.I just pulled a bag out and smelled it.
Breeder Steves Blubonic was also delish. It was one of my first seed orders and I couldn’t really finish a plant properly but it was lavender colored and tasted like blueberry yogurt. Good stuff…

6 Likes

Unrelated…kinda, but…

I have a unreleased from @eskobar his SPG(Sweet Pink Grapefruit) x Blueberry hanging out in my seed fridge….

Not sure but I think the old SPG is a bit played out and has suffered genetic drift.

7 Likes

Steve is awesome. One of my favorite brains in the cannabis community.

I’d guess he’s one of the very few breeders who has access to doing “true” selection from thousands of plants on that project in Colombia - what a dream!

He did a Potcast episode a few years ago I enjoyed:

14 Likes