An envelope method of sending cuts(unrooted), potentially across the border

Thank you for the write up. @Rhino_buddy
Going to give it a go when the weather breaks.

5 Likes

That’s super clever! I’m curious if it will work. I would be worried about the rollers being able to get in between the chopsticks. Not sure if they’re small enough though.

1 Like

Holy shit are you seriously sending them to Costco :rofl::joy::rofl: that would be hilarious! I’ve often thought about sending random things to random people. Like a little baggie of sand, a band-aid, a couple toothpicks, just whatever 🤷🏻. No context or anything.

3 Likes

Hahah. I could… They just happened to send me a self addressed stamped envelope to use. :wink: And I don’t care if anyone see their address since it’s publicly available.

3 Likes

So far I’ve had some success in the started with my first couple tries. This was fall time.

I am trying not to spread the chopsticks too far apart for that reason. I don’t think the rollers are so mailable that they would crush the space between them. I’m still trying to perfect it. :wink:

6 Likes

I was at some point gonna try making a dummy card using foamcore and make it like this:

2 pieces layered, one cut into a frame glued onto a solid piece. the solid is the backing defence and the cuts in bag sit inside the “safe”.

:thinking:

6 Likes

This is a very sleek way to send cuts! Every time I think about it, it’s gets most elaborate and expensive so really nice job on a low cost, stealth option. I recently moved to an island on the east coast of Canada so I don’t have any luck with cuts but I’m always interested in new methods! Hopefully one day the the tech will get to the point we’re they can survive for weeks in transport! Cuts for everyone! :pray::heart_eyes::beers:

1 Like

These are my thoughts too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’m thinking during winter time in North America, hopefully these will be heading all over. 🤷 Considering cuts can last for months in a fridge, hopefully they can survive a week or 2 during the cold seasons.

I briefly explored foam core. You’ll have to share more. I wasn’t sure if it would hold up to the rollers without being pancaked. Then I attempted to add chopsticks for added rigidity. I abandoned the foam core because I don’t just have it sitting around in excess and I made a big mess of it. Also it’s was already right at ¼ inch in thickness.(at least what I had). I’m sure it can be done. There’s many ways to get to the same goal. Thanks for your input friend @Pigeonman . Back to the drawing board.

2 Likes

Would canna cure sprayed on mum pior to takin cuts or spraying the cuts themselves help squeeze another few days out of the cuts in transit ( protection / barrier , once it’s dried on )
?

: )

1 Like

Good plan. I’ve gotten into the habit of taking cuts a day after a good feeding, for similar reasons. I haven’t actually purchased/made any foliar spray. Only for pests. Thanks for the great idea @ifish . I’ll get a bottle to test it out. Probably will make a big difference, if heat isn’t a factor. :+1:

2 Likes

If it were me I would treat the mum like I do befor takin cuts for clones

For one week before takin cuts feed mum bloom feed ( higher p and k than n )

Canna rhizotonic is also good stuff but expensive , but fine if you use conservatively just as a boost for stressful situations or as a once or twice root drench ( puts protective film around roots )

1 Like

Thinking on this further, if the stems of the cuts were somehow attached closely to the chopsticks, i bet the rollers would do the least damage.

1 Like

Wonder about dipping the cut tip in wax or something to stop air getting into the cut… I mean maybe a clone gel would be good enough for that but yeah :thinking:

4 Likes

Maybe slather them lower stems in clonex
Give them a head start while they n transit @HolyAngel
Give them something to do while travelling instead of being dormant , keep them busy ( distraction ) like kids on a road trip

: )

9 Likes

Wax would be interesting. Wash off upon arrival with peroxide or something? A light misting on the leaves too might deter transpiration?

1 Like

This is one of my ideas/goals from the beginning. To get them to root in transit, or at least start. I originally was dipping them in clonex gel. I just stopped when I got engrossed in the mailer design.

I think that keeping the stems close to the sticks is a great idea @PatioMat . I’m thinking they should be good, but if I get any feedback of crushed stems, I’ll adjust. So far the losses have been due to heat. Otherwise they are looking uncrushed. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Could coroplast help protect the stems? Some string wrapped around the stem to wick moisture from the moisten paper towel?

2 Likes

I’d just snip the bottom bit of stem with the wax off. Give it a fresh spot to root from. But if it’s covered in cloning gel then likely not needed :thinking:

2 Likes

My contractor friend said this stuff measures just under 1/4”

Cut a little slot for the stem

3 Likes

I could try my idea with coroplast versus foamcore. It’s just cheaper to find foamcore lol.

1 Like