Another SolStrip build

Yeh know that one bro. I need to get back to work and make some cash. Got a vulva punta (volvo penta) in a yacht not starting right, said i’d have a look tomorrow but i truly cant be arsed. My shoulder still being sore does not help, need some CDB, cant wait to try that OG Kush CBD shes growing :thumbsup:

1 Like

I’m not gonna pretend I know what a Volvo Penta is lol but sounds tricky. I’d recommending large doses of potent green bro. I should have a sale tomorrow to be fair. I was asked to stick 8 x 3500k to the side last week. See what comes of that eh. How long for the CBD stuff of your Mrs to be done

1 Like

It’s a make of marine diesel engine bro. I have had a hate - hate relationship with Volvo Penta for over 30yrs now. I get a lot of work from the things, but i hate working on them and dealing with the fall out over the ridiculous cost of parts.
We ran out so are back to having to buy our medicine in unfortunately and that CBD bush is still about 5 wks off being finished :sob:

It does look dam good though and it’s starting to smell like it means business :thumbsup:

1 Like

That’s why it meant nothing to me then lol. 5 weeks out is some time away. I know the feeling of having to buy smoke. It’s shit. hopefully a few months I’ll be back in track. Anyway bro I’m gonna go finish some gardening. Just stood my water to soak the jiffys. Chucked a fem headband in to soak too. See what all that’s about shall we eh. Anyhow I’ll catch up with you later on bro

1 Like

No prob bro, hope you nail it with those autos. Growing in coco and well lit with led strips they get big really fast :thumbsup:

1 Like

I made new wiring looms for my twin rigs today. Solid core 1.5mm with 1mm takeoffs for the strips. It’s neater and makes changing strips very easy, the old multi strand stuff jammed in the molex terminals and then broke apart when pulled with any force so it had to go.

I did exactly the same with the other one of the matching pair so not much point in showing pics of it. I still find it odd to see the draw at the socket from a supposed 185w driver.

Turned right down to min these things are still blinding.

Turned up to max i have to put them upside down on the floor to test cos i cant see anything but white light otherwise.

Yeh that’s a 280W draw from 5 solstrips on a 185W driver at power-up :thinking: it settles down to around 260w after a few minutes but that’s still almost 11 Amps! the HLG 185’s max ratings at 24V are 7.8 Amps and 187W so even allowing for around 25W in driver losses that’s still roughly 235W :astonished: no wonder the 1.5mm (16awg) flex between the drivers and rigs gets slightly warm when the drivers are at max :laughing:

8 Likes

Inspired wiring loom from the looks of things bro :sunglasses: looks the business though. I’m quite sure they get their measures at 220v on the drivers and even that still leaves squiffy numbers :rofl:

1 Like

Yeh bro i had read that the internal pot type A drivers can output quite a bit more than they are rated for but that’s quite an overhead, it’s probably a sad reflection of me but i’m actually quite impressed. This is the reverse of what i have come to expect from goods made in the southern hemisphere :laughing:

Anyway back on topic the type B meanwell with external pot is said to be much closer regulated. Herself has a HLG 240 B and it draws just over 260w at max load so my thinking is if you want an accurate output go for the type B and rig the external 100K pot. A

1 Like

Taiwan the meanwell drivers come from though bro and for electronics they’re pretty good. Not sad at all that. In a time when cunts are selling 200w lights stated at 1000w. We’re making lights pushing 200w and stating 150w lol. I got a buzz off that myself. I’m gonna go for cheap non dimmable cos I cba with flashy shit anymore lol

1 Like

@Albannach That is one sexy light. The ladies in the tent look on point. Kudos man.

1 Like

I like that sentiment bro :grin: i’m well sorted for drivers too now but glad i can reduce there outputs cos my twin rig wont be running much above 60% in the 2 x 4 it’s soon going to be hanging in. I either want a proper room i can walk about in OR a tent i don’t have to climb inside to get to stuff. The first option just wont be happening so the plan is another 2 x 4 tent. Same as hers, side by side but with a shared 6" box fan extractor and they can share my existing 4" box fan for intake. They will both together use less than a single 600w hps fixture and should in theory be cheaper and cooler to run than what we have going just now. I can only dump so much heat before i reach the need for A/C and that’s not an option here either. The other half bought me the tent, it’s on it’s way apparently so i’m going to be busy rearranging the room quite soon eh.

4 Likes

Just finished an actively cooled X3 solstrip build for an old friend who’s not a member, well it’s actually a double cos there are two of the things. I’ll only post pics of one cos the other is identical except for a damaged strip which is due to my impatience :weary:

5 Likes

I need one of these digital power displays in my life. Currently using a plug type one.

2 Likes

That’s just one i put in a box and connected in the middle of a 6ft extension cable so i can see the load from whatever i plug into it. It’s dam handy :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Any links to same or a very similar gadget mate? It would make my life so much easier if I could have one connected on a permanent basis

1 Like

I got the display head off ebay bro, you’d also need a wee plastic enclosure to house it in and a couple of cable glands too and of course the wiring. The hardest part for me was cutting a neat hole in the enclosure lid :laughing:

2 Likes

Awwww I thought it would be a simple thing that a geordie could manage :rofl: I’ll figure something out. Cheers for the help

3 Likes

No prob if your decent with electrics but you could probably buy several of the plug top ones for what it cost in materials to build mine :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha I’d have to do math and add up all the different readings if I used multiple units :laughing:

1 Like

How about the Sonoff-POW get a reading on your phone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes