Any guitarists here ? I’m a jam band guy myself

The darker one is nylon. I bought some tuners to do a real classical. Don’t look at the little chip in the join between the two sides. On the left side the top is smooth, just a trick of the light makes the joint look funny.

When I built this guitar it was a quick experiment. I did what is called a Spanish heel, the neck goes into the body and is not attached after the body was made. It comes out of the Spanish tradition and I think the bolt on might be German or Italian. But don’t quote me on that. I also did what is called Torified wood for the top and back. I also did the sides but they broke when bending them. I learned that you probably should bend them before you cook the wood. This is the Spanish Heel neck before the sides are incerted into the neck. The neck is glued onto the top first.

Then the side glued into the neck. Then little block called peones by some, are glued in to give the top and side join support. I also use CA glue on this one, Crazy Glue. Not normally used. So I tried a lot of things new on this one

Before the back is trimmed and glued on.

The fretboard glued on, the neck shape finished, the guitar finish put on and the bridge glued on. I used a reed made bridge because it was convenient and they were only about $6 at the time. I would have been happy as long as this guitar lasted a couple of weeks.

All said and done the guitar took about three weeks to make as I left out the rosette (afterward I wished I put it in) and there is no binding on the sides. all because it was experimental. After that it spent years along the chair here beside me. While nylon, it sound more like a old time blues guitar, if they made them nylon back then. More midrange but still fun to play. It also has a radiused fretboard. I have made a couple more nylon guitars after it, actually come to think of it the non-finished one is nylon also although I think it could take silk and steel strings. I am making it for my brother, I’ll make an appropriate bridge for him if he wants that.

5 Likes

It is something. But to hear it played by someone that can really play, that is really cool.

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Like @anon98660487 said, man! you got real skills!! They are amazing!! I also have a radiused fretboard guitar!! For some reason, most to all Classical guitars do not get built with a truss rod, yet if it’ s a steel one, there’s no way it could handle without it!! Congrats!! Lovely!! :pray:

1 Like

I made the darker one without a truss rod and between summer and winter the neck could use a little tweak. But with being happy if it lasted a couple of weeks I think it more than did its part in holding up. On the other I put an aluminum strip in the neck.

That is the 2x4 neck. I surfaced the one side and cut it in half then fold it on itself and glue it together. Then run it through the router a number of times until I have the depth for the aluminum. Then cut to remove most of the waste and then true everything up and get ready to carve the neck. There is a bid piece of dowel glued into the heel to screw in some anchor bolts.

That is a different one. I made three or four I think. The original one with the steel strings where I made all those sides, I think I made four although I gave one unfinished one to my sister and she put broken tile on it as an art piece. She is a mosaic artist. Might as well finish the run, glue on the fretboard.

Do a rough carve.

Use a bastard file and a flat file to do most of the refining.

And after three or four hours, really depends how generous the wood is feeling,

5 Likes

I got a little dyi project in my future
My Dean acoustic , the bridge came lose its common in deans it seems same thing happened to my daughters. So I was thinking about installing a resonator cone never done it before so this could be interesting

Any tips would be appreciated
Alway wanted a dobro
Played a 1930’s metal body a few night ( Louisiana Reds I sat in with him in Nyc a long time ago ) and I never forget how much I loved that sound

Paps

5 Likes

I would love to hear the sound to go along with the pic. You, Sir, have some kinda skills!
:pray::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Awesome looking guitars! You ever mess with cutaways or do you stick to the classic dreadnought shape? I personally couldn’t own one with the cutaway. I’d really like to get a 24 fret with a nice cutaway to access those higher frets.

I went on a month vacation a few years ago and only brought my acoustic but got the hankering to play some metal stuff. You want to see your speed increase on an electric? Play fast metal stuff on an acoustic for a month!

3 Likes

I made this guitar in response to some people discussing walnut used for a top rather than just back and sides. I had some sheets of it from my experimenting to figure out how to resaw wood (sawing it into sheets). I never I thought I would use the wood for building a guitar other than trim pieces as the grain direction was wrong but using it as an experiment would not be bad, if it collapses afterward it would only be a waste of my time building it. When I was finished I was more than pleasantly surprised with it. Others played it and thought it was pretty good also. I had one of the guys at work do a quick recording with a zoom handheld recorder so there is the odd mistake but I was happy to get it.

4 Likes

I love working with walnut! Sounds and looks great frome here.

1 Like

I like the bare bones appearance… No binding, no pick guard, no rosette, no fret markers!

That is as fine a sounding guitar as anyone could hope to own. Are there better? Of course. But I would play this guitar on stage. That says more than most would understand. She’s extremely suited for that finger picking style. One of my favorite songs is “Classical Gas”. That gitbox would be perfect for that kind of playing.
Taylor uses Walnut for some of their models back and sides with cedar tops. They have a unique sound that works well for strumming and with the new bracing system they have amazing sustain.
Walnut tops make for a great small, nylon strung parlor guitar.

1 Like

I made this one from locally harvested walnut (body and neck), with local maple top. Carribean rswd fingerboard. No binding, scratch guard, poker chip or trap inlays

9 Likes

I have not made a dred yet and have only done one cutaway. I need to finish this spruce/maple Martin 0 sized guitar that I am making for my niece’s husband.

This is from about two years ago, been busy with getting my grow room working, fighting problems. I got a neurological problem from some fire retardant at work and I was on some medication but needed to reduce the dosage due to side effects. This had me basically surviving the day of work and I was a wreck at home. Start the next day all over again and wash, rinse repeat. I did this for the last two years until I could not do it anymore and took early retirement. Since then I have been catching up on things needed to be done to the house that have been neglected while I was sick.

That is how I got into growing. I found out weed can alleviate some of my pain but you don’t want any kind of buzz going on when operating saws and the like. I found CBD can do a good job on me so I have been looking for a decent tolerant high ratio CBD to THC plant. I finally managed to grow a good THC crop last grow, hoping to repeat that with the current CBD grow. On another forum I asked a grower where he bought the CBD seeds he mentioned as I googled the name he gave and I think he said he got it off off a grower here. He said he could send some seeds of a plant he has been working on, floored me as I wasn’t expecting it. He sent me here, said I should join. At first I didn’t get this place but then I read a thread of an old dog here that complained about people just getting freebees here and what originally the point of the place was. The thread made me understand the place and the generosity of the guy from the other site.

That said, it will help to explain where my building has gone for the last while. My condition has my skin feel like I have a carpet burn. The light touch and temperature nerves get directed up to the brain as pain. Wearing clothes and even the breeze hitting your skin can hurt. So strumming a guitar turned out to be painful on my arm, then it travels to the rest of my body. But then I pick up a Stratocaster and the arm and body cuts made it possible to play. So I started experimenting to see what I could make to work for me.

There is a feature called the Manzer Wedge that helps people with shoulder problems.

Also I have been trying different arm bevels. I built smaller guitars as they are less work and I want to get the hang of them as I want to build inexpensive guitars to give away to kids not being able to have a guitar.

It was better but still not enough. Hacked a body I had rather than go to the whole process of building and finding it doesn’t do it for me. Still was not enough. Then I took a crap starter nylon guitar that I bought for $25 with case. I wanted the case, I did not have the heart to throw away the guitar but couldn’t give it to someone and have it turn them off learning. So I took a saw to it.

I did a California neck reset (Cut the heel), which got the action better, gave it a half ass fret job and setup. I also shaved the back braces to get some bass. In the end it was comfortable for me to play, did not cause too much pain. It still has a flat fretboard and needs a truss rod to tweak the neck, basically good enough to play cowboy chords.

So I kind of had the idea of what I needed in order for me to be able to play. So for the next leg of my journey I thought a full scale length, a slim body, not sure if I was going to do electric or acoustic (of sorts) so my build process was more like fallowing around and ant, half ass backwards.Was going to be a spruce guitar to keep the weight on me down. Bent some sides and used my tried and true stock of 2x4’s (I used to go to Home depot a lot and pick through the pallets looking for pieces that were perfect enough for me to build with).

Rough carved the neck while I was still deciding which way to go, glued a piece onto the bottom to give me some depth if it was going to be acoustic (aluminum strip as truss rod under the fretboard). In the end I decided electric. Found the truss rod picture. It also shows what I looked for in the wood. Straight even grain along the length, generally grain direction as can be seen on the end, glued together to counteract and movement. There, my secret is out.

Glued up more stock and planed it down to minimum thickness.

Removed as much wood as practical.

Using a guitar top to fill in the unsightly bits.

Some spray paint cans I found and ready to do frets and the rest of the assembly. I am using ukulele open tuners to keep the weight at the headstock down to keep it from diving. A cheap pickup and volume and tone on a plate. Not the ultimate guitar for sure, I am more concerned with my needs rather than my wants.

Have it on my bench right now, need to mount the bridge (saddles of a real bridge and bent a piece of aluminum for the bridge plate. Just a little reduction in weight but why not?) I did build a pine guitar (actually spruce) and (surprise surprise, needs to be finished.) that has the neck mounted, tuners on but just needs the bridge and electronics done. I sliced off an arm bevel and body cut since this picture, function over beauty, it still is appreciably heavier than the other one. The other one comes in around two pounds, figure I can knock a little off that when I make the acoustic version.

So all little steps learning the road other builders may not have taken. I also lost some movement of my thumb on my right hand which means I have to make some tooling to help take most of the work out of carving necks. I figure by next summer I should be set up to really get into building.

9 Likes

Looks great. I wish we had decent wood around here to build with, all we have is elm and oak but they barely get big enough. Mind you that is for acoustic guitars, they can be big enough for electric. But the elm here gets whisked away due to Dutch Elm Disease which is killing a number of our trees. I did manage to grab a section of an oak one of the neighbors had taken down. I thought I had the pictures of me turning it into guitar wood, can’t find them. I did make a guitalele out of one smaller piece.

Thank you @MoBilly, I got lucky on that one, hope to get lucky some more. I used to target shoot a little and one of the old timers told a story of him shooting somewhere and someone saying he sure is pretty lucky with all the hole in the paper in one area. He replied, “Yes, and I get more lucky as I practice more.”

I used to make radio controlled airplanes and the construction of them taught me some of what I do with these. I sucked at flying though, got good at fixing. In making them you have to build light, getting a responsive guitar also takes that mentality. I caught the eye of a premier luthier he does think I waste my time with these weird projects. Once I get my shop up and running I should have a lot more examples of decent guitars. I had bought wood for my retirement to play with, can’t wait to get into the swing of things.

7 Likes

Live the dream my friend. That is what I call a retirement plan.

3 Likes

I was always impressed by Tony Iommi improvising fingertips after he chopped two off on his fretting hand and using downtuned mandolin strings to make them easier to press down. This is at the least equally impressive! Necessity really is the necessity of invention. Sorry to hear about the medical issues but I’m glad you found a way to keep playing though.

Your handiwork is pretty damn impressive too!

That’s a nice stash of wood you have there. Enough to keep one busy for some time! Someday I will build acoustic. I have several nice sets for ukulele builds, koa & mango. Figured start small right. Lol. I dig your plan and hope all works out for you. I have similar aspirations for retirement albeit many moons to come!

Little iRig
I bought don’t work with time bridge app lol

A nerve stopped conducting and the body quit sending nourishment to the muscle and it atrophied. So I can’t extend my thumb to make a 90 degree angle to my fingers, the fleshy bit just above the wrist is gone. Because of it I can’t do any thumb picking the bass line. Kind of sucks as I would have like to play music in that style, folk and blues. But I have no problem using a pick. So a lot I can still do.

@4ftfarmer I usually tell people that want to build a guitar to do a ukulele first and they can get the hang of how the instruments are put together and what they need to make a bigger one. I was on a classical luthier forum and a kid from Cypress said he wanted to build a guitar but he did not have the $800 it would take to buy the supplies and wood to build one. I scratched my head and added up what I thought he would need. He was right. So then I said, ok, if someone wanted to make a guitar but was on a budget what could he make one for? I used the minimum of tools and just started building as an example and an exercise to determine what was needed. I did a step by step picture documentation of all the operations.

I built a nylon guitar, although a Renascence sized one, out of (you guessed it) a 2x4 and a fence board along with some maple for the fretboard and bridge. Mind you, I do have some skills with tools and some might not. But it really is a simple instrument and ended up sounding not bad. In fact I took it to work and had another guy play it and I recorded it with a mp3 recorder that was about a double sized USB drive. I have the file but it is not uploaded anywhere. My brother put the other recording on Youtube, I should get him to do the same thing for this one. Mind you, it is not a long recording and there is over 100 pictures so I might have to loop the recording or work something else out.

While at work I had a few more people play it and electrician liked it so much he offered to buy it. I just charged him $40, a little less than what it cost me to build it, he gave me $60. It really was a fun instrument to make and play. Not a huge voice, something to pick on you couch. 24" scale length. I did have to glue a chunk of oak to the inside of the back to tune it better to get the resonance right. Almost forgot about that. I liked how the back had pin knots. I searched for another fence board to build another one just to have around to convince people a guitar shaped object built right would sound pretty much like a guitar, had a hard time finding the right piece. I finally do have the wood but there is no way I am starting another project before I get a number of the others finished.

8 Likes

Hey guys they’re doing a giveaway for some nice ass pickups I would love to win. They’re Kyle Schutt’s (The Sword) signature railhammers. Here’s my referral in case anyone is interesting in entering I’ll get a another entry when you enter with it, and we both get a shot at some awesome pups!

3 Likes