Anyone running a dispensary?

Got some concentrates, edibles, and carts in

9 Likes

@riahgorl_1 hey bro, for the life of me i cannot find you. if you go to fb and search for ā€˜copper potā€™ ill pop up, located in hobart, oklahoma

2 Likes

@Doulovebeef Friend request sent. We have a friend in common. Interesting. Glad youā€™ve had a great couple days.

2 Likes

Awesome that things are going goodā€¦

2 Likes

Kind of a slow afternoon soā€¦

8 Likes

Hi Doulovebeef. Iā€™m curious, youā€™d mentioned competitors in a thread somewhere. Are they in the same town as your storefront?

3 Likes

@Northern_Loki yes sir. so, one of them is in the back of a hair salon, kind of like a big closet with a display case in the back of the buildingā€¦ the other they are trying to start a grow, from the owners mouth she had 2 crops fail. running a large rdwc system with no nute cooling and cheesy chinese led lighting (blurple). pump failure both times, she says. the owner came over this morning and we were chatting and she was visibly frustrated that she has hired two growers and neither of them can make the system work. she came across my personal facebook and saw that indeed growing the mythical cannabis plant doesnt need to be complicated. and then she said something i wasnt expecting, she asked if i would be willing to come take a look.

shit, why not? so on my lunch i walked the 4 blocks over and met her team. we walked up the stairs andā€¦ well theres no a/c, just venting non filtered air out the roof and nats laying in the bottom of the grow pots where i found ROCK GRAVEL in place of hydroton. bags of WALMART potting soil in the corner (found the nat problem) and i spotted, among many other bottles, a green bottle of miracle gro.

i told her yea i think shes over complicating things, we talked how i grow on a personal level and here im torn. i believe we are all in this together. if the dispensaries could band together and lock down pricing we all would be better off, and maybe get a grip on the grower market pricing, but i got that feeling she wasnt really into the idea, which i can understand. but how much information do i volunteer? on one hand i WANT her to succeed, i hurts me to watch people fail, especially when things werent entirely their fault, a person told her he had experience, and failed, and shes left with the cost of not one, but two failures.

9 Likes

Two competitors in the same general area for a total of three. That will make things interesting. You have some work in front of you. Eventually, one of your businesses will gain the bulk of the business.

If she is competing with you for business, I wouldnā€™t go too far out of your way to help the competition. Keep the peace, a hint here or there, be friendly, but not much more than that. Otherwise, you are enabling their success over your success. Itā€™s nice to say we are all in it together but now we are talking about a business. One that has lots of risk and provides for your family and employees livelihood. Also, you may eventually become associated with their business dealings along with any rights/wrongs they engage in. That ā€œcouldā€ become a problem. Love and war.

As I think about this further, Iā€™d beware of suggesting price fixing. It is anti-competitive and can potentially run afoul of the law. Alternatively, someone else will move in to allow the ā€œmarketā€ to set the price. The most efficient business at constraining costs, best at navigating the politics, or providing a perceived value add will win in capitalism.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s perfect advice I would say @Northern_Loki.

7 Likes

These people were offered help several times and declined. I offered to come out there for a whole month but they didnā€™t want to pay anyone. On their last call to us we declined to help them because they were looking to get as much as they could for freeā€¦ i say let them lie in the bed they madeā€¦ a lot of these people are going to fail, and IMO they deserve to failā€¦they jumped in a business they knew absolutely nothing about because they saw $$$ and thought if ā€œdumbass pot heads can do it I canā€¦ā€
That has actually been said to meā€¦

14 Likes

@Northern_Loki thanks bro, sound advice and ill take it. friendly but not friends. @Dewb from the sound of it you have already met them lol.

5 Likes

sounds like she is starting two businesses. growing and selling. the growing is tanking from two bad grows. how is the selling side for her? if the sales are down as well, maybe you could talk her into being a grower. then sheā€™s not competition. introduce her to OG and help her get started with a good setup and knowledge base. and maybe a discount :slight_smile: or at least her first buyer.

Iā€™ve actually put a bit of thought into this for myself. hoping one day to have a grow and shop. the best way to succeed in this is to have a good clean setup that people want to come and see. everyone and their brother is going to start a grow or store right off the bat. so you have to be the most interesting for the customers, constantly adding new strains, information, things like that. but then you need to be as clean and proper as you can for the city. you have to outlast the competition in this first wave. it might be good for you to guide a grower. suggest strains that you want help them get set up to provide you with quality product.

i hope that doesnā€™t sound shady or anything.

4 Likes

thanks but i think im going to take @Northern_Loki advice and keep her at arms length. when she came in yesterday i knew it wasnt because she wanted help (well she did, free help at thatā€¦) but it was nothing short of corporate espionage.

@Northern_Loki it didnt occur to me that what i was wanting to do could be interpreted as price fixing. the last industry i worked in, the owners of business that bought old car batteries and scrap lead would meet every month and set the prices that they would all pay. i never occured to me that what they were doing may run foul of the law. but then again this is a highly regulated industry, and no need to poke the bear unnecessarily.

she said she hired a girl that does her compliance paperwork and she said shes in there ALL DAY doing it. doing what? i have 3 excel spreadsheets and quickbooks self employed. i punch the numbers at the end of the night into quickbooks for the closing report, and the next morning before we open i run through the receipts from the previous day for my counts and tracking spread sheet that breaks down thc and non thc sales taxes and weights sold. maybe im missing some complexity to itā€¦ or someone is milking the clockā€¦

6 Likes

@Jdem075 i mind my own business when it comes to what other dispensaries sell, but ill say her employees (more than more) come in to my store on the regular to purchase.

6 Likes

Itā€™s interesting. There is not a bright line there.

Itā€™s ā€œokā€ to adjust pricing based on a competitors pricing. E.g. walking into their store and capturing their pricing structure (if you arenā€™t kicked out first). On the other-hand, colluding (a popular word these days) with the market participants to set local market pricing is where the trouble can occur. E.g. making an agreement with competitors on pricing that prevents market price discovery. The penalties are stiff if provable. 3X treble + costs or something. See ADM lysine pricing as an example of an anti-trust action. Anti-trust actions are at all levels of the governments including the state and even locally. Again, needs to be provable usually via a whistle-blower and such. Some market segments are immune. Probably energy which is based on spot pricing, for instance. Most are not from my limited understanding. I doubt something at this level would be actionable but it is something to think about.

Probably doing this for next to ā€œfreeā€ from the sound of it :smile:

5 Likes

@Northern_Loki lol thanks bro. ill mind my own business. funny, people from here on the forum have already dealt with the people from my new little small town. @Dewb unfortunately i have to agree with your views on some people, people talking about the stereotypical stoner. unfortunately alot of bad information is going around, people trying to treat pain and all everyone wants to give them is something with high thc numbers. not one person ive talked to know about CBD and thc synergy. maybe an idea for a class.

but your right dewb, people thinking about us simple minded stoners and all they see is money signs. we will continue to offer competitive priced products while focusing on patient satisfaction and safety and we will educate people, one at a time if i have to.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve said the same thingā€¦ Whereā€™s the 1-1 CBD/THC buds and pens, whereā€™s the CBD dominant stuffā€¦I havenā€™t seen anyā€¦ My farm will definitely have at least one CBD variantā€¦I meet with some investors Saturdayā€¦

Here a pic I received today from a ā€œcommercial growerā€ that doesnā€™t even like the smell of cannabisā€¦
Sent this pic and asked ā€œis it bad?ā€

7 Likes

Jesus broā€¦ thatā€™s one sad looking grow. Iā€™m lucky I have a grower with a 1:1 thc CBD strain pennywise

Taste isnā€™t great, but feedback from medical users is the effect is what they are looking for.

4 Likes

When SQ788 passed I immediately got grow gear into my shop and started helping folks. I canā€™t tell you guy how many have come in and suggested the simple-stoner-if-they-can-do-it-I-sure-can bullshit. What is the deal with heat lamps? Is that something from the 70ā€™s? Iā€™ve never heard anything like it but folks seem to think they can slap some plants in a metal shed with a heat lamp and get the dank. I even had one guy suggest to me he grows in his storm shelter without any lights and his cousin got him stuff from the porta-potty place and itā€™s fire. I can not wait to grow some real pot on a commercial level.
I really like the fact that we have a small group of Okies, as well as some of the other great folks, on Overgrow to talk about all of this.

Thanks guys,

fr0g_D

9 Likes

i pulled 4 growbooks from the shelf and looked in the index. couldnt find anything about heatlamps. crazy the stuff people will believe

my cousin sayzā€¦

yea cuz your cuz is an expert, im sure.

4 Likes