Apartment no leak hydro setup

Very interesting… Didn’t even think of all that.
Im old and broken from a bad bike accident 20 yrs ago. So simple and easy lifting is something I’m looking for.
I’ve just popped 5 beans and thinking hempy is going to be the way to go, for this round.
Giving me some time to investigate more.
Now 3 or 5 gallons hempies? Or both…

3 Likes

Chances of leaks are less but like @Naptown916 mentioned, reservoir changes during mid-late flower will definitely be a pita.
Hempy sounds cool and I believe the 5gal will grow trees so watch out. The roots take off when they hit the reservoir and 3gal sounds good to start with.
You could also explore coco coir as another way to grow semi-hydroponics.

3 Likes

As someone doing DWC in an apartment, I can attest to this. I hate doing changeouts. I barely ever do them to be honest because of this. One every 2-4 weeks usually. Once the plants get to a certain size I generally just top off with fresh nutes when they get low.

5 Likes

man i lived in a house with a drain in the basement floor next to my box and i hated water changeouts with my dwc system. i got lazy as hell, changed once from veg to flower and once halfway through flower.

5 Likes

I ran 110L of solution in a RDWC system I made on the second floor of my home and I was nervous as hell.

I ended up having my tent on a tarp (as a redundancy) with trays on the inside to catch anything that may come from the bins inside. Additionally I installed wifi water leak sensors that would trigger if there was any water coming out. The same sensors used for water heaters in your home.

All my feed lines were hose-clamped tight regardless of no-leaking when I just hand fitted them in place. (3/4" hose) and my returns are 3" pvc pipes cemented in place with the beefiest bulkheads I could find regardless of price.

Best of successes @LzBoy !

5 Likes

I got a small pump that has fittings for garden hoses to remove solution without ever having to move the plant from it’s placement. This is a must if you are doing RDWC but also works well for DWC single buckets.

2 Likes

I was going to use the good ol shop vac to get the excess.
But a simple pump into the drain bucket with a feeder tube to the tray. Cool thanks.

2 Likes

@LzBoy look for one like this:

Made my life so much easier! I just needed to have the new solution ready and I’d pull the old solution out into an empty reservoir (to later then dump down the drain or into the garden if growing season) and then just swap the hoses to refill the now empty res filled with roots :smiley: .

7 Likes

morning @LzBoy my setup might be what you are looking for … this is my single tote/reservoir setup …

5 Likes

Check out the aerocloner type set ups, and you can modify them to fit any plant count…can drop a pump with hose attached inside of them to do rez changes, been using dry setup like that for years

2 Likes

check out this thread, about as simple as it gets and self contained.

3 Likes

Very nice room build, you guys.
Can I ask, what’s the ac btu and for how many “btu” or watts of heat in the room? (And is the room “sealed” - dehumidifier, propane burner OR bottled co2, if so?). I’m just curious.
Thanks.

@LzBoy On another thread, a guy doing rdwc in a bedroom built a wooden frame around the area where the rdwc totes/containers would be sitting (it wasn’t more than a 4x8 or maybe 4x10 floor space, because he used common dimensional lumber from what I remember) with 2x4 (or you could use 2x6 or something) and then lined this area and up the sides of the frame with good pond liner. (He didn’t have a “bottom” on his frame, if I remember right. Just the pond liner rested on the floor. But you could have a wooden “bottom” if you wanted). Then his system’s containers were inside of this “sandbox” area. Calculate the volume of your system that could potentially leak, and calculate the volume of this little “pond” area to make sure it’d hold any potential leaks. He wasn’t in a tent though. So, I duno. But you could put the whole tent inside this area if you wanted. I duno what your limitations are.
Just an idea.

1 Like

Hey bruh! You got any more of them there links for something like this.

1 Like

Here ya go!

Search for the similar product in the shopping place of your preference: "Water Transfer Utility Pump"

2 Likes

My man. Now to find a source that doesn’t give bezos any more money. :joy:

3 Likes

try this. i like that they save me a front row parking place.

If you’re looking for a pump to just remove water from one container to another, without having to submerge the pump in the container (is that right?), you can also look up diaphragm pumps (sometimes called RV pumps, because they’re used in RVs). They come in 12V and 120V. They are self priming and can usually draw water up several feet, unprimed. Generallly high pressure, low flow. So the transfer pump @Pigeonman linked is probably better suited for what you want. Just giving options.
Eg: Amazon.com : diaphragm pump 120v

3 Likes

Hey bro, I love options. Much appreciated. All I know is the days of sluggin 5 gallons back and forth is about to come to an end.

1 Like

Look into Octopots

1 Like