Artificial Intelligence is Here, and it's a little Scary!

All right, enough of the Jib Jab folks, let’s weigh in!

Is Artificial Intelligence a little Scary?
  • Yes, Very Scary
  • Yes, Sort of Scary
  • No, Not Very Scary
  • No, Not at all Scary
  • Even after reading all the above, I’m not sure

0 voters

3 Likes

Glad to see someone already brought up infrasound and its implications

1 Like

But no mention of DARPA-dots!

1 Like

Son, there’s Always a Carillion death ray pointed at Earth.

4 Likes

There is nothing to see here folks!

Just take a look here for a second!

4 Likes

Crossing the "Uncanny Valle?"
Here’s something bright and shiny-new: A completely AI-produced news channel with AI-generated actors and AI-produced content.

https://twitter.com/channel1_ai/status/1734591810033373231

Honestly, I found their demo video easier to watch than the talking heads on my TV. See what you think.

1 Like

https://www.fairfieldsuntimes.com/news/national/ftc-bars-rite-aid-from-using-ai-for-5-years-for-reckless-surveillance/video_6a31cc48-f824-5b54-8bad-8aab3a62ce99.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06887-8

Every week AI is discovering new materials/antibiotics/drugs etc and this is only a fraction of what is to come. I think this is because it can look at things in ways we can’t.

“Sometimes all it needs is an extra set of eyes” is rather apt here.

3 Likes

I think this is because it can look at things in ways we can’t.

So, is that “Scary?” or Not.

Go Vote. Show your hand.

2 Likes

AI is not scary by itself.

I have a very close family friend that works in AI learning and it’s scary what those nefarious bastards are up to.

Remember: One can limit what the AI model learns …
Which leads to a “propagandized” AI bot.

I stay away from people that I perceive as having little or no conscience … Now imagine what an AI robot with no conscience can do…

Buena suerte!

4 Likes

@Maddawg
You make 4 fantastic points. :exploding_head:

I voted scary but that is due to the human influence.

Nuclear power is safe enough to have in every home.
But
Who knows what a few nefarious bastards would do if they got their hands on nuclear material?

5 Likes

Pretty much… I voted “not very scary” because I’m no more scared of AI than I am of other people. I could’ve voted that it was very scary or sort of scary with the same rationale though. :man_shrugging: AI programmed by people that learns by watching people is no more, and no less scary than people themselves.

4 Likes

I SO get that @Cormoran, but here’s the rub, “other people,” the same, they are the very ones who are already playing poker with the future of AI. And their motivations are not the same as yours.

Maybe a better poll question: Would you support a PAUSE, in development of AI, while a global body considers the question?

My fear is that we plebians are going to be saddled with a technology that could easily become OmniPresent, OmniPotent, and OmniScient. An iPhone with a human-like AI personal assistant. Great idea.

That’s the part that scares me,
-Grouchy

3 Likes

I would say it doesn’t matter. Anyone with enough power to influence such decisions has already sacrificed their morals to the political fundraising machine. That’s why I’m no more afraid of AI than people. The machinery of society is already fundamentally corrupt, immoral and exploitative… and our current society is far less corrupt than at most other periods of history. The powerful have always exploited the powerless, and very rarely even bothered to make any noise pretending to acknowledge the idea of fundamental human rights… which is why, somehow, the corrupt political fundraising machine is actually better than humanity has ever done before. At least they have to pretend to care now, about one group or another, or they don’t get elected. It still hasn’t gotten marijuana legalized with over 70% agreement - and there’s a lot less power at stake with marijuana than AI, so we plebians are far more likely to be ignored while our illustrious senators and triumvirii try to distract us by fighting culture wars over who’s allowed to fuck whom and making SPQR banners to brandish at each other.

6 Likes

Will AI escape the box we keep it in?

1 Like

Will AI make sex obsolete?

Would it be weird if your buddy had a sex doll that looks just like your wife? :astonished:
What about a VR sex girl that looks just like your wife?

Will your wife use special glasses that make you look like Brad Pitt during sex? :wink:

Will the sex bots develop morals and get sick of being screwed one day?

how’s that? better?

Not much really.
Perhaps there’s a thinly veiled political rhetoric thread where you can apply your wit and wisdom?

I’m not trying to pick on you @sfzombie13 but your political opinions don’t belong here.

2 Likes

i appreciate that and apologize. i will refrain from future politicizations of my comments.

back on track, virtual reality is what should really be scaring folks. imagine a scenario where a pow is put into a situation and being tricked into revealing information. sure, it’s a movie scenario but there are more nefarious uses that i am not looking at.

1 Like