Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Sorry y’all Jerusalum crickets. We call them potato bugs here. The Colorado beetles don’t live here.

1 Like

Wow, That’s one ugly sonofa…

Despite their common names, these insects are neither true crickets nor true bugs, nor are they native to Jerusalem.

:point_up: :confused: :joy:

I guess they call em potato bugs cuz they eat potatoes but they’ll eat any other roots too. My vote is kill em

3 Likes

Catch it, relocate it to nature somewhere else like you’d do for a furry mammal, please. :yin_yang: :innocent:

:v: :bug: :chipmunk: :bird:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

@cannabissequoia To a pan with herb butter and root vegetables? :yum:

Jerusalem Cricket Chowda?

4 Likes

WTF are they then? lol I vote… Aliens :alien:

2 Likes

yomama

:evergreen_tree: :runner: :joy:

3 Likes

The height of maturity as usual @cannabissequoia :joy:

3 Likes

I’m about 4 going on 64… :laughing: :baby: :older_man:

4 Likes

So, my new Gardenia bush needs iron. I’ve only seen one fertilizer like that at Home Depot by Liquinox. Anybody know if I can find something organic? Is organic iron even a thing? lol Also, liquid or slow release? I’ve never had to add iron to any of my plants before. Apparently, Gardenia’s are iron whores and the new bush has slightly yellowing leaves.

1 Like

dried blood and seaweed are organic sources of iron

2 Likes

blood meal? Or do they sell dried blood?

I am getting a compost tumbler for yule. I have heard composted kelp is awesome as fert in general. Seriously contemplating cleaning up my local beach…

https://articles.extension.org/pages/41182/what-is-the-iron-content-of-blood-meal

1 Like

I’d agree blood would be a decent FE it’s also very high in N upwards of 12-15% and can burn quite easily.

2 Likes

It’s a very small, new bush. Only planted like weeks ago. I added compost and manure to the soil when I planted it. Plenty of Nitrogen. Really don’t want to burn it. Any advice?

2 Likes

I’d be very cautious of using blood personally only thing I’d use blood on would be in the compost pile used to get it activated really quickly what ya got with compost and manure( aged ) should work a 'tid bit from Motherearth news

Iron

Next up is iron. The trace element plays major roles in the production of chlorophyll and in the nitrogen-fixation process. It also helps reduce nitrates to ammonia for the synthesis of plant proteins.

Chlorosis is a primary symptom of an iron shortage, but it’s not a reliable indicator without a soil test because yellowing indicates other nutrient deficiencies as well. Additional symptoms include new shoots that stop growing, and in severe cases, top growth dies. Fruit-tree leaves turn yellow and develop brown areas, and fruits generally
lack flavor. Excessive lime and/or phosphate may inhibit a plant’s intake of copper, so apply small amounts when copper or other trace-element deficiencies exist.

Chelation is a process that makes iron available to plants. In short, iron in an insoluble form is attracted to organic chelates that plants readily absorb. When plants absorb chelates, they also take in the captured iron.

The best way to put iron and chelates into the soil is by the addition of organic matter. Manures (especially chicken manure), garden and kitchen wastes, greensand, dried blood, and/or seaweed added to the compost pile provide all of the iron that plants need.

3 Likes

So maybe some all encompassing micro nute fertilizer?

1 Like

Give it a go… remember it’s only a considered trace nutrient needed doesn’t take much better to go light than to over do it!

2 Likes

@Meesh i can’t find or remember the brand name my dad used but there are liquid chelated iron supplements e.g.

check your local garden supply store :thumbsup:

1 Like

Dog garn squirrels are digging up my bulbs! I found a small precise hole the other day where I planted my gm lily trees, much too calculated for it to have been my dog. Today I found the said dug up lily tree bulb and one other that I can’t identify all the way across the yard. Suckers! They dig em up then spit them out when they don’t taste like nuts. Maybe cayenne pepper in my flower beds will keep them away???

4 Likes

Hey @Tinytuttle I have some bark mulch in the garage? Should I add it to the blueberry? I’ll have to find a pine tree somewhere to borrow needles from…

2 Likes