Backyard soil rejuvenation project

put the dog on the bark on the garden. :smile: :chipmunk:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

She is when she can be watchedā€¦ If you recall, the whole project and this thread started from my favorite little shit :dog: digging up the yard too! Jezebel is unaffected by cayenne pepper btwā€¦ I tried it on her a few years back. She just licked it and sat drooling and smacking her lips for an hour after while I laughed. Hey, payback is a bitch. In the end though the joke was on me as she dug anyway.

4 Likes

I would check the bag to see if it mentions what type of wood chip is used ,woods of the cedar and cedar family probably wouldnā€™t break down the way we would want them to , these types of wood have anti-rotting properties to them. If all else falls go to your local tree trimming place and go get a few free buckets of chips from there chipper trailer. I had like 3 yards delivered and dumped right on my driveway for free did my 90% of my backyard !

4 Likes

As time goes on and the chips break down soil profile will change to more fungal dominance and over time weeds wonā€™t even be an issue a win-win!

I put that shit everywhere! Lol

6 Likes

Should also be mentioned the smell cedar wood chips emit is a neurotoxin. Doesnā€™t blatently affect larger animals but small animals will show symptoms from prolonged exposure.

6 Likes

Hmmm good to know ! Thanks for sharing, learned something new today great way to start the day have a great day @Worcestershire_Farms and @Meesh!

3 Likes

So every year my neighbor has this beautiful silver maple that always seems to yellow mid summer he was told the soil in the area lacks iron and that iron needs added so he injects chelated iron into his soil with no progress to show for it ! Heā€™s the type where he makes 3-4 applications of lawn fertilizer ever year to his lawn Iā€™v made mentions that he should add wood chips around the base of the tree instead of the plastic sheet/ rock cover he has currently, I give him books to read such as ā€œteaming with microbesā€ and ā€œteaming with fungiā€ and do you think he reads them? ā€œNoā€ they just collect dust till he gives them back. I do have him using my worm/ compost Teas now this last year and had mentioned that he has seen improvements to his lawn, go figure! Baby steps I guess?

My guess is it could be a lock out iron availability is better at a lower ph.

4 Likes

@Tinytuttle

My local tree-folk only deliver 14-18 yards at a time with no garauntee of time or day, and thatā€™s a long-running craigslist ad. :unamused: Worse though is my old man the landlord says itā€™s ā€œtoo risky because of diseasesā€ [smh]. My whole lot is nearly treeless. :violin: :desert:

Same old man thought his azaleas were chlorotic from iron deficiency & kept adding more with no effect. I took over the azaleas, pH ing water to 5 for about 6 months, and healthy dose of my vermicompost. ā€œGee the azaleas sure look good!ā€

:rolling_eyes:

Thereā€™s a lot of truth to the ā€˜old dog/new tricksā€™ sayingā€¦

And I too tried to pass along the revelations in the same book-learninā€™ā€¦ but alasā€™, when youā€™re 70+ you donā€™t really give a shitā€¦ :smile:

:v:

:evergreen_tree: <ā€” still kinda gives a shit

6 Likes

I might add it always helps when your friends of a coworker whose husband runs a tree trimming service ! Come to think of it it was more like 7 yards of volumešŸ˜³

4 Likes

So when you use the all those wood chips as mulch, do you have to pull them off if you use liquid teas and ferts? Also, this is a stupid question, but for any mulch can I just water through it? For example, I just broke down and bought a 35lb box of straw from build a soil and was planning to put it in all my flower beds and the veggie patch. I just water through it right?

2 Likes

A: no, yes, yes. :nerd: :checkered_flag:

5 Likes

Iā€™m gonna set-up my cheapy plastic pvc greenhouse and pop a few autoā€™s right after xmas and do my first greenhouse grow. The Farmers Almanac sent me a planting reminder email saying that there are some veggies and flowers that I can start indoors for spring transplanting. Iā€™m assuming the more plants in the greenhouse the better to create the best greenhouse effect?

4 Likes

Yes but to a pointā€¦it could concievably be a solar vegetable steamer too :wink:

3 Likes

I am beyond stoked! Took a trip to my hydro store today. Love that place, their organic supplies are epic! Anyway, went in to buy some vermicompost tea they make, I usually pay about 25 bucks for it. Not set-up to make my own yet. Anyway, it was a day from expiration so they gave it to me for free. Came right home and used it. It makes 30 gallons, enough for all my front and back planters at the moment. Figured it was a perfect time since we just got 2 days of the almighty and magical rain. For an added bonus, I got to bs and geek out about organic gardening for more than an hour! lol

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping with the winter drop in humidity, the added veggies and flowers will make it just right in there! We will certainly find out. Iā€™m just waiting for the solstice to pass so I can get an upswing in sunlight hours then Iā€™m off to the races!

5 Likes

What a score! Congrats!!

5 Likes

Right! Went in planning to spend a bit of money and walked out having spent $2.85 for some plastic planters I needed for sprouting. I also got a pretty good sample bag of Natureā€™s Pride veg nutes 6-3-3.5 by Green Gro Biologicals as well.
I honestly think I need to find a regular gardening forum as well as here. As much as I can geek out here on organics with a few members, itā€™s not as much as I would like. lol

3 Likes

How much by volume does 25$ get ya? Remember we have an important organ ( our nose ) to detect any problems that might be associated with Teas! Yup for your question earlier water right through it!

3 Likes

I hate potato beetles. They love to land on me like Iā€™m a snack. Iā€™ll swat them off and theyā€™ll aggressively stick to mešŸ˜…
I call those water beetles myself though. every summer I can guarantee Iā€™ll have at least 5 a day bug(LoL) me.

I should look into that.

5 Likes

It got me 1/2 gallon of their tea which made 30 gallons. It smelled just fine too! It said that if it had a foul odor it was dead and not to use. I used it as soon as I got home. 30 gallons covered all the planters front and back, but not the veggie patch. I would need 30 gallons for that alone.

This is only the 2nd time using the tea from them, but last time all of my plants went crazy for it, especially my roses! Wow! It was well worth the $25 bucks and even better since it was free this time!

2 Likes