Breeding for the dumb guy. any smart guys?

And then none of them germinate. Lol :joy: :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Poor germination, weak spindly stretchy plants that yield poorly and are prone to intersex issues…

…“but bro I found one good female in $500 worth of seeds I’ll make my money back in no time”

…“that female yields almost no seed so I HAVE to charge $20/bean”

Here the rest of us sit with an extra $450 saved and arguably more/better product from plants that are actually fertile. A plant that barely makes seed shouldn’t be furthered; infertility is not a positive thing. But your cookie hybrid that takes pretty pictures and has “gassy dessert notes” commands $200/pack. This fad is getting old lol

9 Likes

That’s if they ever leave a hoarders freezer first

3 Likes

all very true, most “expensive” packs are just either due to hype or supposed rarity, and yeah never leave a horders seed stash till they are non viable.

Also say plants grown in pots the size of solo cups i have been regularly getting roughly 1000+ off of one of them when decently pollinated.

4 Likes

Nope i found seeds…someone here was nice enough to send me some Malwai and OG18 God’s and some Afgans. Then damping off…fk! So far out of “a few” seeds i got 2 with life. Its the weirdest thing damping off…never seen it before. Heard of it but never seen it…its breath taking watching them die like that.

The seeds i got from Sensi are working out pretty good. The Afgan is inbred can totally tell. I swear someone went to Afganistan and plucked this fker right out a field. I think it could use more light…possibly outside! Clones grow like a half oz bud…straight up with next to no branching and inter-node tight spacing…real tight like Tony the Tiger!:slight_smile:
The Sensi Skunk and Sensi NL are both outstanding plants in there own right. I took a Califorina Indica male and bred a few seeds…I was almost ready to kill that Afgan #1 now not so much. I have seen Hybrid vigor its a beautiful sight to behold. Next Id like to cross that Malawi with that Afgan #1 i think they will make nice babies…who knows thou. I always look at things this way.

Take a look at the lesson i learned and the price i paid and see it was a bargain! Stay in the light brother and thanks for the reply…busy these days with grow room logistics. Heat is getting up there and its not even summer yet. Time to go for a drive and find some where outside. I live rural area…Im sure I’ll find somewhere to plant a few. When you have 20lbs of outdoor getting it home can be a logistic nightmare. I’d really like a dirt bike out here…its the country everyone and their kid ride snow machine or dirt bikes. Normal to hear them in town…mutts and pure breeds all have their place. I prefer pure breeds thou.
I was thinking about outliers last night and what happens to them…they are on the edge and we know what happens when your on the edge.

My seeds are still about 2 weeks out and the seeds are on re-vegged plants. If i end up with 50 seeds I’ll be happy.
S3 or S4…holy breeding those hermie traits strong! My new thinking is take a healthy rooted clone and flower it. How is it? Getting an oz off a rooted clone (NO VEG) now you will see what the plant can do. IMHO of course. I believe the only way to grow weed is SOG…economically. Veg is a killer…shave as much veg time off as possible. Outside is different of course. The rules i grew up are still the same. Rule #1 Dont tell anyone…just because its legal doesn’t change what the plant can make people do. I have so much to learn…whats it called when you don’t even know what you don’t know? Then you know everything…
I would S1 only once…hermies are still garbage. I forgot to sex my plants in a metal garbage can. Hang a small light in there with a male and a few females…away from everything else! Works good for sexing plants and breeding plus who can beat the cost of a garbage can or hell even a cardboard box. NOT MY PIC! That idea of growing a bunch of plants and then waiting for new seeds or flowering early…what a waste of time and resources! I learned to clone in a garbage can…they have make the best way to grow this plant illegal. With plant counts…one or a thousand? Does it really matter…to who? These guys with tents should switch to SOG and max yields. IMHO again of course and based on the info i have at this time. Well time to go check my damping off problems and the heat…got some work to do! Thanks again for the reply…

2 Likes

While I agree with crossing two IBLs at a point that seems counterintuitive to me. If you work a filial line to F4, F5+, then why sacrifice it breeding true to another line that will breed true as well? Stable + Stable = super duper stable?? LOL

I personally use an IBL and an F1 that I’ve hunted for a premium, desired quality of my choosing. I know the IBL will force across it’s traits but I look for that + the premium trait from the F1.

I also have a tendency to cross two very distinct phenotypes so the progeny are easy to recognize.

Just my $.02

6 Likes

yup and it shits purple unicorns…

2 Likes

Even using 1 IBL parent is, on paper, a better choice than 2 polyhybrids.

Benefit to using 2 inbred lines is that the F1 is usually remarkably vigorous and consistent. Good for people who want each female to be good, rather than trying to grow a half dozen females for the best one. Would work best for people who sow seed each year, or just want to buy a couple packs of seeds. The benefit is lost in the F2 generation, which will be more variable, and less so over successive generations, until you have an IBL in its own right.

7 Likes

Damp off is from overly moist or tainted soil.
It attacks the stem at or just below the soil line. At the first sign of a plant tipping over, before it wilts, you can snip the plant above the tipping point and put it back in different moist soil or soiless mix and it may root for you. I’ve done it. Damp off Comes from an anaerobic ( no o2) environment, like from unturned compost for instance. Or a store bought bag of soil that was stored out in the elements with a rip in the bag, allowing water in. Usually smells funky. Like ass sometimes. I lost another Beldia last night. Thats 5 lost to damp off . Soil is almost bone dry at this point. Once they get a set of leaves they are less susceptable. I’m transplanting tonight myself. Transplant shock beats death. My own strain and malana are doing fine. Different soil. Plants from dry regions are more susceptible than plants fom wet regions too. Sorry beans didnt show. Hit me up after covid. My 2 orders never arrived either. Customs must be a mess.:disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

I would always personally keep any ibl’s pure, but they do work great for crosses. Like left hand seeds says, The Offspring are fairly uniform and predictably similar every time. It’s what makes new genetics possible, and it’s a lot of fun. But always keep those IBL’s pure. there’s no need to lose them just because you are crossing them with other varieties.

3 Likes

For me it’s a both and. Unless you’re breeding to provide seeds for a lot of people, there’s really no need to ever pollinate more than about 2-3 buds. So I’ll keep my IBLs marked on one branch and if I’m making a hybrid it goes on another.

If you are making your own IBLs and want to grow them on their own, make a lot of extra F2s and store them properly. Then when you start to notice inbreeding depression, recombine it with an F2 selection and work it back up again. Not only will this give you the opportunity to fix anything you didn’t like, but it’ll re-introduce heterogeneity that will put vigor back. And since you’re already using the IBL as the male, you’re going to have a good, stable male that’ll make downstream selection go much easier the second time around.

But the main value of an IBL is in it’s ability to make good hybrids, so keep it pure because it’s intrinsic value is more lasting than a hybrid, but also use it to make hybrids so you can realize the benefits of keeping or creating it in the first place.

11 Likes

Soak your seeds in a H2O2/water for a few hours, the H2O2 will sanitize the seed coat, killing any mold, fungus or pathogens that may be on it that can attribute to damping off. Damping off is created by overly wet soil.

It also removes some of the germination inhibitor coating from the seed as it softens the shell, so germination will be quicker and easier .

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip but this time it’s the soil. Its happened to me in the past when I’ve planted using this compost. The seeds germinated so damn fast it caught me with my pants down and i had to use it. There is a pathogen of some sort in the compost that my local varieties can handle much better. I may lose a couple, but i dont mind due to extra seeds and the explosive growth once the seedlings take. But this Beldia has tipped at the soil line in bone dry soil. Bone dry for 3 days. It was so dry i dug down in the dirt to make sure it was damp off and not lack of water that was responsible for the most recent death. Never seen anything like it. It was damp off for sure. I Would plant in mellow seedstarter/ ocean forest mix if i had it to do over. Everything else in different soil is fine. Landraces included.

2 Likes

Yup. Great way to do it. I’ve been doing the same thing for years. I just never grew any of the hybrids i made, but one. Great post. Seeds on a couple buds and seedless on the rest🤗

4 Likes

Is there anyone on OG that would be generous enough to help me get get started with couple strains of seeds, or a seed bank that has reasonably cheep seeds. I know there’s trading on here. I don’t know if what I’m asking is agents OG policy. If so I Apologize. I will be more then happy to help the next guy along. I have bag seed but I have no idea what strain they are. The only thing I can is its a smaller lemon smelling strain. My uncle found two fenced-in plots on a property he was working on. All females, but were pollinated with no male plant in sight. Anyone can help a guy out?

2 percent right? I didn’t know it softens the shell too. Trying to germ some kalga parvati direct from source. They are proving hard to germinate, and may have to get special treatment. I know about scuffing, cracking, heat mats. Heard of aloe soak too. Any idea about what percent aloe I should use? Am I right about the percent of hydrogen peroxide? I seem to remember 2%, and I’ve done it in the past with seeds that had a bit of mold on their seed husk. so far the only issues I’ve really had are with the Beldia damp off and Kalga not popping. Pulga, malana, durban were all fine.

4 Likes

Normal 3% H2O2 at a rate of 1 oz H2O2 mixed into 16 oz water and seeds soaked for no more than 24 hours to discourage seed rot and to clean/soften/oxygenate the seed coat.

Pretreatment of germinating seeds is essential when coming from unknown sources. Anything can be on a seed coat and cleaning it before germinating could make the difference between growing plants and not growing plants.

The remaining H2O2/H2O solution may be poured over seeds germinating in grow medium to effectively destroy any pathogens available in the medium that can cause Damping Off.

7 Likes

How’d the germination go with the kalga