Breeding for the dumb guy. any smart guys?

I really wand to breed two strains. Mostly so I won’t have to purchase seeds as much. Any decent strains to breed? I would also whold traid in the future so I guess popularity would help.

15 Likes

Why don’t you just make some F2s of your favourite strain? That would give you plenty of seeds.

Breeding makes sense if you have some kind of goal and know exactly what you are looking for. With this goal you choose particular male and female and look for traits in their offspring.

Imho trade value is related more to skills of breeder not to popularity of strains crossed.

There is plenty of fun with F2ing strains. Experiment, get to know the particular strain and learn along the way. If you are interested in starting breeding, that should get you going in right direction.

37 Likes

^^^^^ Joe pretty much summed it up, but i concur make your own from the plants you like.

11 Likes

On that same train of thought as joe, the best choice imho is to f2 something you like and grow out all the different phenotypes until you know em like the back of your hand. Eventually you’ll have a Line A and a Line B that complete each other like two puzzle pieces.

12 Likes

The best crosses are usually between 2 distinct inbred lines.

Almost all modern varieties started with a few select inbred lines.

Haze, Northern Lights, Skunk, Afghani

Think about your favorite plant. What does it do well, what does it lack?

If I have a great plant, with amazing bud, but the yield is low and the flower time is long? Cross it to a line with short flowering and better yield.

Certain stock just seems to make great plants. Cinderella 99 and the Apollo lines are wonderful breeders. They’re inbred so each plant is very similar, so if you select a male, you know it is probably going to pass on good traits. They flower VERY quickly, yield well, are reasonably strong and smelly.

If you were to buy Afghani #1 from Sensi and cross it to Cinderella 99 from Brothers Grimm I am certain you’d get excellent plants. Both inbred, both very popular classic varieties. You’ll get a shorter, quick flowering big yielding smelly girl almost every time. Very beginner friendly as well.

Long story short, buy 2 separate inbred lines and cross them. There’s quite a few available in the sea of polyhybrids.

31 Likes

@vernal has good advice. If you want to make a new hybrid, do yourself a huge favor and use inbred lines. If you cross two polyhybrids that are not inbred then your seeds are going to be all over the place. Easier still is to not hybridize at all, and just continue to inbreed a single strain that has already been through a few generations of inbreeding. I’d personally look for something around F3-F5 for that.

Another approach is to look for a hybrid where the breeder has already used inbred lines for the parents. And then you can just inbreed that strain. This method will produce varied results the first time you cross. After a few generations of inbreeding and selection, it will calm down quickly.

Either of these methods are accessible to home growers. Continuing an inbreeding path from an inbred is the absolute lowest barrier to entry IMO.

21 Likes

To sum up what @vernal and @lefthandseeds both said… starting a breeding project with inbred (IBL) lines gives more uniform phenotypes that will all grow and appear similar. Making it easier on the breeder to find what they’re looking for.

When just crossing two different plants, there will be a lot of different phenotypes to go through. It can take a lot of time to go on a pheno hunt to find what you’re looking for in a sea of phenos with most appearing unfamiliar to their parent plants.

Breeding with IBL’s will make your life easier.

Either way you go about it, you will gain a lot of knowledge moving forward with a project like this.

15 Likes

I want take minute to thank @DiggySoze, @Mr.Sparkle, @vernal, @lefthandseeds, @DesertGrown, and as always allways Mr. LemonadeJoe of course, for taken your time for me. I’m going to hit the books and do some homework.

11 Likes

@LilJonB
Check this thread out too.
Gorilla Glue 4 Recombinant Inbred Line

7 Likes

Is that Cindy99 mold resistant outdoors?

4 Likes

Unsure. If it finishes quick enough to elude fall rains, perhaps.

EDIT: Cindy line is one the fastest non-outdoor day neutral varieties out there, if anything will finish quick, it’ll probably be that.

4 Likes

Genetics haven’t gotten much better in the past 30 years. Some of the best clones out there are 30 year old bagseed herms. Point is, even randomly mashing two things together often still produces decent results. Get BogBubble from BOG and C99 from Fleur du Mal. Both old established inbred lines. I 100% guarantee the results will be great, super fast, super easy, strong, fruity buds. Both users are on the forum and both packs are quite inexpensive. There’s over 10K crosses available nowadays, stick with the classics and you can’t go wrong.

15 Likes

I agree with you there! The classics are hard to beat! And for making beans even harder to beat. Is that bog bubble indiana bubblegum? Would make beautiful babies… Ihave lots planned this summer and i want to avoid bad mold issues. Maybe I’ll try a couple to see. Haze should be mold resistant… and i think i know what they crossed it with for c99… and it should also be mold resistant …

4 Likes

Fastest way to get consistent breeding is by crossing two cousins with similar growth. Say you really enjoy cookie style plants. Dosido x cookie n cream would be great for breeding. There’s so much that’s related now pick most any two strains n they’re probably related.

3 Likes

I think this is a good and natural starting place for anyone looking to reduce their costs by making their own seeds. Just do it and learn and improve as you go. Collect some pollen and pollinate one branch. The first time you pull down 100 seeds at the expense of 2 buds, you’ll think about $10/seed in a whole new light.

22 Likes

Priceless when your smoking your our strain that breeds true…now your rocking! I was thinking (high of course) if a person bought a 10 pack of seeds (regs) and took a female from that pack and created a S1 then the freebie seeds do the same…now you have 2 strains or females that are S1 so in theory if you cross 2 S1’s you will end up with all female offspring plus a new cross that you know will be good also hybrid vigor…sound right? If my thinking is off or i don’t see something let me know…thanks

4 Likes

Sounds right, but with exceptions. The hybrid vigor happens most extremely with plants that are distantly related. You would want to use IBLS to have any idea of what the offspring might be like. Multi hybrids would give extreme variation to offspring and i would imagine less of a hybrid vigour effect. But all girls. But this is all an educated guess on my part, regarding s-1s. I have very little experience with S1 type plants and I have not bred with them. There was a guy on icmag growing Iranian plants. Storm Shadow is his name. He claimed plants didn’t hit their Peak until they were S3 or S4 if I recall. I was shocked reading that, as I had always understood inbreeding depression is never good. No beans yet? Damn covid-19.

3 Likes

It’s all relative.
Unless you’re growing them side by side would you even notice if the veg phase took an extra week? A little vigor in exchange for all the right alleles in all the right places might be a fair trade now and then.

3 Likes

I have to agree with you there. It certainly the shortest path to getting what you’re after. My very limited experience with S1 varieties includes only one such type. They were all very uniform, and I didn’t notice any appreciable difference in vigor

3 Likes

Exactly why it is so frustrating to watch people pay $200+ for less than a dozen magic beans.

11 Likes