Bud Glamour Shots. Photography help needed

Anyone here have a decent understanding about photography? I’m trying to get some bud shots with a black background for the contrast, and I can’t figure it out. Any light illuminates the black, but I see these cool shots all over. Is this something I can only achieve with a DSLR?

I have a blackout sheet on a wall, but I don’t get how the light should work for this to happen properly. Thanks!!!

10 Likes

Not quite as pretty as yours but she is a looker no less.

Same plant off my iPhone. Messing with settings. I had formal education on an old mechanical camera. I think this is where art meets skill though. Settings and angles will only take you to the point. It’s the playing portion that has to be explored to figure out how to implement your skills.

4 Likes

No doubt :muscle:

Check out this thread, it’s on part 2 and has been going since 2019.

1 Like

There photography information in there too? I need technical help @DougDawson

1 Like

A few ways to get the background darker.

Get as far back from the background as possible so the light is illuminating the flower, and not so much the background.

Put the light more overhead, pointing down.

Use a non reflective black background like felt.

3 Likes

I have pointed a bunch of people to this link for tips on taking bud shots. Some good info there bud.

2 Likes

Perfect. I’ll set up somewhere else and try a different light position. The felt I might have to order. Thanks a million

1 Like

Thanks Doug. Really appreciate it!!!

1 Like

No problem. I know a few guys that are big on taking great pics to sell their wares. They tend to use light rings and such. It’s a fun topic to delve into.

1 Like

You guys are the best

Sometimes you need to darken the shadows slightly in an editing software to get the background completely black depending on your lighting. Many many different ways to do it. Could also go outside at night and light it with nothing in the background. As long as you have the space for it.

1 Like

It is and hard to get the right shot with just a phone. Seeds/equipment>Dslr

1 Like

I was just looking at something saying to mute the flash in a dark setting and it’ll tone down the light a bit. Maybe that’ll give me something easier to achieve before I get felt and move everything.

1 Like

If you can angle your background forward toward the camera, the light should illuminate it less. Especially with a more overhead light.

2 Likes

Good tip :+1:

You can get decent pics with just a phone but there are certainly better ways.

10 Likes

I’m working on it

8 Likes

Sweet shots

1 Like