Can I keep seeds pulled from (possible) molded bud?

if the mold had infiltrated the seeds while the plant was growing, that could cause some possible bad outcomes- the seeds might rot when you try to germinate them, or you could be raising plants with an endemic fungal pathogen.

If the exterior of the seeds is contaminated with spores, they could get fungal blooms when you try to germinate them, or it could potentially contaminate the growth medium or your seed soaking water.

2 Likes

You’ll be good.

I recommend soaking seeds and soil in LABs or EM1 when you do end up germinating them so theres no dampening iff

3 Likes

I only happened once, 5 years ago, to recover ripe seeds in buds on outdoor plants that were moldering due to the humidity of the late October season.
I collected around a hundred seeds, I must have around twenty left, all the others germinated very well
Peace out

2 Likes

curious where this came from. do you have a link to the rest of it? it doesn’t apply to pot from what i am reading here, i just want to make sure i didn’t miss something important in the rest of it.

1 Like

@sfzombie13 yes, link is posted above the screen shot

1 Like

thanx. i had no idea that was it. after reading the article and the three linked papers in it, i have deduced that none of them applies to cannabis. if you have strawberries and lettuce it applies, but not one of them mentioned cannabis anywhere so it may or may not be applicable.

1 Like

The role of seeds in dispersal of fungal pathogens in Cannabis has not seen extensive research [59]; however, seed-borne fungal diseases are well-documented in established crops [28,37,38,60]. This study found that 73.3% (11/15) of Cannabis accessions hosted at least one seed-borne fungal isolate (Figure 4). The observation that 83.3% (20/24) of these isolates were identified as genera of known Cannabis pathogens and post-harvest molds: Alternaria, Penicillium, Cladosporium, Chaetomium, Aspergillus, Rhizopus, and Fusarium, is unlikely a coincidence. Rather, Cannabis seeds likely act as a vector for fungal pathogens to spread and proliferate. Of particular interest is the observation that Penicillium, Fusarium, Cladosporium, Alternaria, and Aspergillus have been previously identified infecting Cannabis flowers [23,25,26]. Isolates belonging to these pathogenic genera account for 70.8% (17/24) of total isolates. Seed-bone Alternaria has also recently been documented as a pathogen of mature Cannabis[61]. Taken together, this suggests that Cannabisflowers act as an infection point for opportunistic fungi to be vectored across plant generations via seed transmission. Observationally, the fungi isolated here from germinating seeds appeared to colonize and destroy seed and seedling tissue (Supplementary Figure S2); however, further testing must be done to investigate their potentially pathogenic behavior to mature Cannabis plants.

1 Like

exactly. bingo.

I have had seeds from several sources that came with fungal infections from the beginnning. One was from a home grower, and the appearance of the seeds told me they had been pulled from bud rot. I gave them a try as an experiment because they were from a local heirloom I had been looking for. Those rotted when I tried to germ them, and a fungal bloom appeared in my seed soak.

One time I bought a large stock of seeds gathered on site in the himalayas, and every single one of them damped off. the ones that lasted long enough to get above ground produced a bloom of white mold below the cotyledons.

Both of these could have contaminated the rest of the grow, but I was fortunate that I knew the risks and kept them isolated from the rest of my grow.

This is most problematic example in my opinion… Seeds were widely distributed here a while back that turned out to have come from a mother with a terrible pythiosis infection that caused stem rot and girdling, as well as an unknown viroid causing variegation and leaf necrosis which was transmitted from an infected stardawg cutting in the same grow, and passed on through the seeds. Not knowing these risk factors, I gave the seeds to a friend. The plants displayed heavy variegation which developed into leaf necrosis spreading outward from the spines. it could have really screwed up his med garden, but fortunately he had them in a far corner of his garden in plastic pots with no drainage. The seeds were given away as testers and the person who shared them was aware of the pathogens, but didn’t disclose it until people had started to grow the seeds, and at first only in a thread unrelated to the tester seeds.

I think it pays to be extra cautious with stuff like this. And when it comes to sharing seeds, only share your best work that you know is truly clean and safe for other people’s gardens.

3 Likes