Can I keep seeds pulled from (possible) molded bud?

As the topic states

I just finished a seed run, and when I was chopping up a dried plant I noticed little “poofs” of what looked like dusty smoke, similar to when I experienced full on bud rot.

There is no visible mold that I can see, and no rotted flowers, the whole plant is pretty crispy dry & easily shuckable. I’m just now worried that if my suspicion is true, that I’ll have to trash all these seeds? :man_shrugging:t2:

What do you guys think?

5 Likes

Ultimately the seeds are probably fine. I would say if you do pop em set em in water and peroxide mix. That way you know your pretty much doing everything you can to sanitize before they germ, but thats just my opinion.

I’m sure others will chime in with more direct and factual things cause i really dont have any experience on the matter.

Happy growing
HG

12 Likes

Seeds are fine.
Give em a quick rinse in hydrogen peroxide solution before drying if it makes you feel better.

10 Likes

Probably fine but I’d write them off anyway.

2 Likes

I would pop them right away if you plan on keeping them my opinion .storing them in mold I would think would rot them or infect other stuff. If u do pop them use some hydrogen peroxide

3 Likes

I dont think homie is planing on keeping his seeds in moldy bud.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone :metal:

I had this idea, to toss all the beans into a bowl of play-sand & toss them around then sift out the beans :man_shrugging:t2: maybe like a light “dry wash” so to speak

Fantastic idea using H2O2 when germinating, will definitely employ that just in case :+1::+1:

Good lookin out :metal:

2 Likes

maybe it was just trichs falling off from being really dry?

1 Like

I agree with the H202, give the seeds a rinse and then towel dry. Should be fine. Even if you got a bit of mold in the end, the seeds would have been sealed in their shells so should not harm the embryos. :v:

11 Likes

Healthy seedlings started in the correct conditions shouldn’t even be effected by mold.

3 Likes

It kind of kills the trading fun though. It would suck to have to preface with “I made this wicked cross but pulled the seeds out of a big pocket of botrytis. Still want ‘em?”

Again, probably fine.

5 Likes

I keep getting the image of a moldy decaying tomato being thrown on a compost pile only to come back to healthy tomato seedlings a short while later.

As long as the mold doesn’t impact the embryo of the seed, the shell should do it’s job of protecting pretty well. Some seeds when mature can be partially opened already so those types may be more susceptible to foreign matter affecting the embryo. Many blessings and much love

7 Likes

@Foreigner please reread my o.p. before trolling further, thanks

If the seeds look OK I’d have no concerns about them, various spores are everywhere all of the time, they’re not something to be afraid of unless they’re finding a suitable environment.

4 Likes

https://medicinalgenomics.com/botrytis-cinerea/#:~:text=Botrytis%20is%20a%20systemic%20mold,it%20spreads%20to%20other%20plants.

1 Like

4 Likes

Wow! If that was a pickup line, I’d give you my number :wink::star_struck:
Seriously cool and relevant study, thanks for enriching my knowledge! I have a packet of seeds I’ve been sitting on with the same question, I’ll just throw them out now. Pathogens & plants just get more badass the more I learn.

2 Likes

Welp, i masked up, gloved up & took everything outside & shucked it :man_shrugging:t2: better safe than sorry. Kept no buds

I saw no visual rot or mold and funny enough, i saw no more “poofs” so who knows :man_shrugging:t2: now time to sift beans.

4 Likes

I would keep the seeds BUT dry them for at least 1 month. If they do not germinate after that, you have not lost anything. I bet they pop :wink:

3 Likes

@Magu thanks for the advice :+1: i successfully germinated a few of these about two weeks ago off a sample nug I cut early, just to check bean progress. If those sprouted, I’m almost certain (most of) these will :slightly_smiling_face:

Just for an extra precaution, after they’ve sat awhile I’m going to shuffle the seeds in some play-sand and then sift them out, trying not to overly agitate them as to score the husks too badly. I’m thinking of it like a “dry silica bath” so to speak :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes